John Robertson

Default Alkaline battery testing

On 2005-10-12 11:05:04 -0700, "Bob Shuman"
said:

At minimum, you would need to compensate for the ESR of the new 450V cap you
introduced in series into the test leads in order to still get an accurate
reading. The diode clamps sounds like a more effective way to protect the
ESR meter to me since test voltage is kept below the bias voltage so they
don't affect the calculated ESR.

Bob

wrote in message
ups.com...
That would seem to beg the question if one were simply to replace that
cap with say one with a 450V working voltage, would the diodes then be
unnecessary? Lenny

I suspect one could put the blocking diodes AFTER the capacitor, thus
protecting the unit from surges.
If you are going to use the meter to check batteries then leave the
protcetion back-to-back diodes off the input lugs, otherwise install
them or be very sure the cap is discharged before attemtping to read.

Bob Parker put a lot of thought into designing this kit and I hazard to
recommend any changes from that design.

Thanks Bob (as always).

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call