Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Testing alkaline batteries

On 08/11/2020 13:42, Scott wrote:
My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts? How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

It's probably only calibrated for the former but by putting a resistive
load across the battery during the test will bring the voltage below
1.2V on a bad battery.