Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Testing alkaline batteries

On Monday, 9 November 2020 10:16:51 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 08/11/2020 13:59, Fredxx wrote:
On 08/11/2020 13:42:21, Scott wrote:
My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin).Â* I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts?Â* How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

An alkaline battery also has a nominal o/c voltage of 1.5V

A good fresh alkaline can be as high as 1.6v open circuit.

They start off above 1.5v. 1.5v is only nominal.

A well used one can go as high as 1.8v under odd circumstances. I had a couple do that earlier this year. They were well used then recharged, and gave a strangely high output. No idea why, none of the others did.

NT