Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Standard Alkaline Batteries vs "Premium" Alkaline Batteries

My supply of C and D alkaline batteries for various low use household
devices is about gone and needs to be replenished.

It's been a while since I've bought alkalines and I notice that battery
makers now offer several flavors of "premium" alkaline batteries at
increased cost with names thought up by the marketing guys- super,
premium, max, industrial, performance plus, etc.

Many of the standard alkalines now advertise a 10 year shelf life which
is a good feature for me as most of the devices like flashlights, etc.,
live largely unused and untended in desk drawers, tool boxes, glove
compartments, etc. Sometimes the batteries go dead- or leak and ruin the
device because I neglected to check it periodically.

I'm wondering if it's worth paying more for the "premium" alkalines or
just go with the lower priced standard alkalines?

--
Just because its a bad idea doesnt mean it wont be a good time!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 15:50:08 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

My supply of C and D alkaline batteries for various low use household
devices is about gone and needs to be replenished.
It's been a while since I've bought alkalines and I notice that battery
makers now offer several flavors of "premium" alkaline batteries at
increased cost with names thought up by the marketing guys- super,
premium, max, industrial, performance plus, etc.
Many of the standard alkalines now advertise a 10 year shelf life which
is a good feature for me as most of the devices like flashlights, etc.,
live largely unused and untended in desk drawers, tool boxes, glove
compartments, etc. Sometimes the batteries go dead- or leak and ruin the
device because I neglected to check it periodically.
I'm wondering if it's worth paying more for the "premium" alkalines or
just go with the lower priced standard alkalines?

I suspect that " 10 year shelf life " actually means
- sealed in the package - ie : not installed in the device.

With the advent of LED I've eliminated C and D cells.
except for a funky chrome vintage decorative flashlight.
I avoid no-name batteries ; I look for a good sale price on
the brand-name ones and buy what I think I'll need for
one year or so ..
ie: a great price on a 5-year-supply - can backfire when they
are duds or leakers .. or not used ..
Industrial Supply places - like Grainger - will sell you a good
battery but they don't compete with Costco / Walmart ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You might consider doing the transition to rechargeable AA and AAA.
Good ones. Eneloop or Sony. They pay off for everything I've thrown them at.
All my flashlights are LED with AA or AAA. Never had one leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2018 3:26 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

O.P. - If you buy NiMH batteries be sure they are "low self-discharge"
nickel€“metal hydride batteries. They work way better in little used
devices. Older devices may not work well with NiMH cells due to the
lower voltage. More modern devices have settings for them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Baggies [tm] or similar flexible plastic
bags are your friend.

Keep the batteries _out_ of the appliance
and store them next to it in.. the Baggie.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Read the technical specs carefully, not the advertisement.
It's my understanding that the shelf life assumes you never put a load
on them.
If they're partially used, kiss the 10 years goodbye.
My experience is that Duracells always leak.

You might consider doing the transition to rechargeable AA and AAA.
Good ones. Eneloop or Sony. They pay off for everything I've thrown them at.
All my flashlights are LED with AA or AAA. Never had one leak.

I have a lot of older tech that won't run on NiMH. They work right after
you take them out of the charger, but after settling down after a few days,
the voltage is too low and the device won't work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Dec 2018 20:56:53 -0800, mike wrote:

[...]

Haven't had a duracel leak in 10 years. Energizers either. Dorcy
Mastercells on the other hand -- -
And Chateau too.
And even those were at least half used up and left sitting for a
couple years. and were likely over 5 years old.

You might consider doing the transition to rechargeable AA and AAA.
Good ones. Eneloop or Sony. They pay off for everything I've thrown them at.
All my flashlights are LED with AA or AAA. Never had one leak.

I have a lot of older tech that won't run on NiMH. They work right after
you take them out of the charger, but after settling down after a few days,
the voltage is too low and the device won't work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
[...]

I have had one 9v burst right out of its case.
Never been used, it was the spare for the Fluke.

Energizers either. Dorcy
Mastercells on the other hand -- -
And Chateau too.
And even those were at least half used up and left sitting for a
couple years. and were likely over 5 years old.

You might consider doing the transition to rechargeable AA and AAA.
Good ones. Eneloop or Sony. They pay off for everything I've thrown
them at.
All my flashlights are LED with AA or AAA. Never had one leak.

I have a lot of older tech that won't run on NiMH. They work right after
you take them out of the charger, but after settling down after a few
days,
the voltage is too low and the device won't work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/18 3:50 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
My supply of C and D alkaline batteries for various low use household
devices is about gone and needs to be replenished.

It's been a while since I've bought alkalines and I notice that battery
makers now offer several flavors of "premium" alkaline batteries at
increased cost with names thought up by the marketing guys- super,
premium, max, industrial, performance plus, etc.

Many of the standard alkalines now advertise a 10 year shelf life which
is a good feature for me as most of the devices like flashlights, etc.,
live largely unused and untended in desk drawers, tool boxes, glove
compartments, etc. Sometimes the batteries go dead- or leak and ruin the
device because I neglected to check it periodically.

I'm wondering if it's worth paying more for the "premium" alkalines or
just go with the lower priced standard alkalines?

OP he Gotta love this newsgroup!

Thanks for the interesting assortment of thoughts and opinions on most
every aspect of batterydom....

.....but I guess no one has an answer to the original question I asked ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/18 3:50 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I'm wondering if it's worth paying more for the "premium" alkalines or
just go with the lower priced standard alkalines?

**** leaky alkalines!

I just use Panasonic Eneloops or lithium-ions in all devices and
recharge when necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2018 7:59 AM, EE Sparks wrote:
On 12/3/18 3:50 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I'm wondering if it's worth paying more for the "premium" alkalines or
just go with the lower priced standard alkalines?

**** leaky alkalines!

I just use Panasonic Eneloops or lithium-ions in all devices and
recharge when necessary.

The problem with rechargeables in rarely used devices is knowing
if they need charging before they are used. If you want to use
them then you need to keep them on a recharge cycle, that is
recharge them on a scheduled basis, whether they need it or not.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 08:10:25 -0500, Wade Garrett wrote:

[...]

Because you answered that yourself with "increased cost with names thought up by the
marketing guys- super, premium, max, industrial, performance plus, etc."
You might find some testing of the types by googling, so that might help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 08:59:11 -0500, EE Sparks
wrote:

On 12/3/18 3:50 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I'm wondering if it's worth paying more for the "premium" alkalines or
just go with the lower priced standard alkalines?

**** leaky alkalines!

I just use Panasonic Eneloops or lithium-ions in all devices and
recharge when necessary.

A bit of a problem when "when necessary" is exactly when you need
them.
Haven't tried Enerloops but when the power goes out and the device
runs out of battery a spare set of Alkalines or Lithiums (not
rechargeable) can "save the day". Otherthan for remotes, just about
anything I have that needs batteries is an "emergency use" item and
recharging batteries when they are needed is a disqualifier.

Ansd in answer to the OP's question, in MOST cases a standard brand
name lithium is a better deal than the "premium"or "boutique"
batteries on a dollar per anp-hour basis as well as on a dollar per
shelf life basis. The newer mercury free and otherwize "greener"
batteries often do not perform as well as theolder batteries - then it
comes down to a "values" issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/3/18 3:50 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I'm wondering if it's worth paying more for the "premium" alkalines or
just go with the lower priced standard alkalines?

**** leaky alkalines!

I just use Panasonic Eneloops or lithium-ions in all devices and
recharge when necessary.

A bit of a problem when "when necessary" is exactly when you need
them.
Haven't tried Enerloops but when the power goes out and the device
runs out of battery a spare set of Alkalines or Lithiums (not
rechargeable) can "save the day". Otherthan for remotes, just about
anything I have that needs batteries is an "emergency use" item and
recharging batteries when they are needed is a disqualifier.

You only have to keep spares. Besides 8 fully charged on two chargers, I keep another 20
or so charged ones in a plastic container. They hold a charge well.
I always wait until there's a good price on them before buying, but I haven't bought any in
a couple years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2018 10:35 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

I have had one 9v burst right out of its case.
Never been used, it was the spare for the Fluke.

I worked at Fluke for a few years.

The day I started, I was told the Fluke corporate motto:
"If it works, it's a Fluke"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

[...]

Any battery that leaks by a major manufacturer should be brought to the
attention of the manufacturer who will either repair or replace the item. I
know of a guy that had batteries leak in a $600 electronic item and Duracell
could not repair it so they sent him a check for a new comparable item.

I have also had Duracell's leak. Eveready have not - in my experience. Now
the new level is lithium. I am not an expert in battery technology so I will
not hazard a guess. I think a comfort level is involved here. If it is
something that must work then a premium product might suit one better. Maybe
email or call the manufacturers and see what baloney they are passing.

I never buy cheap no name brands. Rechargeables may be better for certain
applications and there are several chemistry's of them, the latest being ?
Lithium Iron Phosphate? They all need chargers rated for the chemistry.

That is my my story and I am sticking to it...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
news
On 12/3/2018 10:35 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

I have had one 9v burst right out of its case.
Never been used, it was the spare for the Fluke.

I worked at Fluke for a few years.

The day I started, I was told the Fluke corporate motto:
"If it works, it's a Fluke"

That flys in the face of the fluke recalls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/18 11:48 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
A bit of a problem when "when necessary" is exactly when you need
them.
Haven't tried Enerloops but when the power goes out and the device
runs out of battery a spare set of Alkalines or Lithiums (not
rechargeable) can "save the day". Otherthan for remotes, just about
anything I have that needs batteries is an "emergency use" item and
recharging batteries when they are needed is a disqualifier.

I've got a house full of AA and AAA devices like ceiling fan remotes,
atomic/radio-set clocks, flashlights, portable work lights, outdoor
remote-read thermometers, Vizio TV remote, FireTV remote, Roku remote,
fireplace remote, digital kitchen scale, multiple headphones, multiple
keyboard/mouse sets, camera, multiple Insteon remotes, infrared
thermometers, VOMs, and my wife seems fascinated by electric flickering
candles but I've lost count of those.

But the number one reason to use Eneloop rechargeables is they don't
ever leak...and that's priceless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In devnull writes:

I've got a house full of AA and AAA devices like ceiling fan remotes,
atomic/radio-set clocks, flashlights, portable work lights, outdoor
remote-read thermometers, Vizio TV remote, FireTV remote, Roku remote,
fireplace remote, digital kitchen scale, multiple headphones, multiple
keyboard/mouse sets, camera, multiple Insteon remotes, infrared
thermometers, VOMs, and my wife seems fascinated by electric flickering
candles but I've lost count of those.

But the number one reason to use Eneloop rechargeables is they don't
ever leak...and that's priceless.

Did that list above remind anyone else of?::::

" Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one
forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition;
four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue
containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep
pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature
combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred
dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs
of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks;
three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have
a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff."

- just me? Oh well...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/18 4:21 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In devnull writes:

[...]

"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist
indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist
conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
- Jack D. Rippper, BG USAF

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 19:20:50 -0800, "fake vet Scatboi Colon La Edmund
J. Burke" wrote:

On 12/3/2018 12:50 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
My supply of C and D alkaline batteries for various low use household devices is about gone and needs to be replenished.

It's been a while since I've bought alkalines and I notice that battery makers now offer several flavors of "premium" alkaline batteries at increased cost with names thought up by the marketing guys- super, premium, max, industrial, performance plus, etc.

Many of the standard alkalines now advertise a 10 year shelf life which is a good feature for me as most of the devices like flashlights, etc., live largely unused and untended in desk drawers, tool boxes, glove compartments, etc. Sometimes the batteries go dead- or leak and ruin the device because I neglected to check it periodically.

I'm wondering if it's worth paying more for the "premium" alkalines or just go with the lower priced standard alkalines?

I've already conducted that brand of research, son. The concusion says that they're all the same. Which is why I buy my double- and triple-A batteries at Home Depot, each pack of 60 ten bucks and change.
You can count on me; I'm an experienced and licensed electrician.

Who doesn't know the difference between neutral and ground.

Where's the ground on an alkaline battery, Lumumba?

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 22:33:41 -0600, "David" wrote:

news
J. Burke" wrote:

[...]

Is there? I don't see one on my alkaline batteries.

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

J. Burke" wrote:

[...]

Like being alkaline makes any difference, you dumb ****?

Just answer the ****ing question if you want to be nominated for the
Nobel Prize in electricity, asshole!

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

aliash)" wrote in message

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 22:33:41 -0600, "David" wrote:

news
J. Burke" wrote:

[...]

I bought one in the mail.

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 23:39:58 -0600, "David" wrote:

[...]

An alkaline battery with a clock???

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

aliash)" wrote in message

[...]

and some gloves came, two pair, one grey

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 10:11:09 -0600, "David" wrote:

aliash)" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

With clocks???

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

aliash)" wrote in message

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 10:11:09 -0600, "David" wrote:

aliash)" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

yes the clocks will need double a batteries

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 16:01:33 -0600, "David" wrote:

aliash)" wrote in message
.. .

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 10:11:09 -0600, "David" wrote:

aliash)" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

What will the gloves need?

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

aliash)" wrote in message

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 16:01:33 -0600, "David" wrote:

aliash)" wrote in message
.. .

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 10:11:09 -0600, "David" wrote:

aliash)" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

nothing but weather

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

J. Burke" wrote:

[...]

alkaline is an antidepressant

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

J. Burke" wrote:

[...]

Don't you mean alcohol???

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 21:56:50 -0600, "David" wrote:

aliash)" wrote in message
.. .

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 16:01:33 -0600, "David" wrote:

. ..

aliash)" wrote in message

[...]

Well, that's easy to get.

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

J. Burke" wrote:

[...]

sort of, if its that. I wouldn't.

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 15:45:32 -0600, "David" wrote:

.. .

J. Burke" wrote:

[...]

You wouldn't sort of WHAT???

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

aliash)" wrote in message

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 15:45:32 -0600, "David" wrote:

.. .

J. Burke" wrote:

[...]

well maybe I said it wrong

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 01:11:45 -0600, "David" wrote:

aliash)" wrote in message
.. .

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 15:45:32 -0600, "David" wrote:

. ..

J. Burke" wrote:

[...]

Well you obviously sort of did.

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

aliash)" wrote in message

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 01:11:45 -0600, "David" wrote:

aliash)" wrote in message
.. .

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 15:45:32 -0600, "David" wrote:

. ..

J. Burke" wrote:

[...]

it has meditation