D.M. Procida

Default voltage of dead/good alkaline batteries

I've got a bunch of alkaline cells here, and I'm wondering which of them
are going to be any good at all. What should I use as a cut-off voltage
when I'm deciding? I have a multimeter, which also has a battery tester
(I guess it just puts a bit of a load on them).

From one set I get around 1.4V with the battery tester, 1.45 with the
voltmeter. But while that sounds pretty good, I know that in practice
they were useless. How much do 'rested' alkaline cells recover after
use?

Thanks,

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre
Malcolm Stewart

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message
I've got a bunch of alkaline cells here, and I'm wondering which of them
are going to be any good at all. What should I use as a cut-off voltage
when I'm deciding? I have a multimeter, which also has a battery tester
(I guess it just puts a bit of a load on them).

From one set I get around 1.4V with the battery tester, 1.45 with the
voltmeter. But while that sounds pretty good, I know that in practice
they were useless. How much do 'rested' alkaline cells recover after
use?

Always test cells and/or batteries with a suitable load which will vary with
type and size of cell. Under no load conditions your voltmeter is likely to
register the basic chemical emf of the cell, and the effects of internal
resistance will not be registered. From memory, I think about 1 volt per cell is
about right for a NiCd or NiMH cell - measured under load, of course. This
rises to over 1.2v when charged, and even higher when being charged.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Dave Plowman

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
From one set I get around 1.4V with the battery tester, 1.45 with the
voltmeter. But while that sounds pretty good, I know that in practice
they were useless. How much do 'rested' alkaline cells recover after
use?

1.4 under load should be fine. Most electronics will work with them down
to about 1 volt. Things like torches or motors might not perform quite as
well. ;-)

--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Martin Angove

In message ,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

I've got a bunch of alkaline cells here, and I'm wondering which of them
are going to be any good at all. What should I use as a cut-off voltage
when I'm deciding? I have a multimeter, which also has a battery tester
(I guess it just puts a bit of a load on them).

From one set I get around 1.4V with the battery tester, 1.45 with the
voltmeter. But while that sounds pretty good, I know that in practice
they were useless. How much do 'rested' alkaline cells recover after
use?

IME there is no easy answer to this question, but as a rule-of-thumb
this is what I do:

A brand new alkaline will register well over 1.5V (between 1.6V and
1.7V) on a high-impedance multimeter off load.

A part-used alkaline which has been off-load for several hours and
measures less than 1.5V doesn't have much life left.

Down to about 1.4V you'll still get a reasonable amount of use from an
Alkaline in low-power devices such as clocks, remote controls and small
portable radios, but not in high-power devices such as torches or
anything with a motor.

Below 1.4V it is rarely worth re-using the cell and I dispose of them.

9V alkalines get thrown when they are down to maybe 8.5V.

For example, a Maglite which takes 2 AA batteries may begin to look a
bit dim so you change the batteries. You may find however that there is
enough life left in them to power your 2xAA tranny for a week or two of
normal use.

As others have said though, the amount of use to expect varies depending
on the actual load. These figures of course only apply to alkaline cells
and *not* to zinc-carbon or zinc-chloride batteries which have the same
nominal voltages but different characteristics. Rechargeables have both
different voltages and different discharge characteristics and there are
other experts on this group in that field.

Just my 2p.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove:
http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
nick smith

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

I've got a bunch of alkaline cells here, and I'm wondering which of them
are going to be any good at all. What should I use as a cut-off voltage
when I'm deciding? I have a multimeter, which also has a battery tester
(I guess it just puts a bit of a load on them).

From one set I get around 1.4V with the battery tester, 1.45 with the
[...]

Martin,

I reckon your voltmeter is reading about 0.15 volts high - alkalines still have usable
life left in them at 1.35 volts off load.
and I have rarely checked new cells at above 1.60 volts - measured using professional
(calibrated) test kit, and at normal
UK room temperatures, and my findings are consistent with manufacturers data.......

Nick

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 14 May 2004 08:53:00 +0100, D.M. Procida wrote:

I've got a bunch of alkaline cells here, and I'm wondering which of them
are going to be any good at all. What should I use as a cut-off voltage
when I'm deciding? I have a multimeter, which also has a battery tester
(I guess it just puts a bit of a load on them).

From one set I get around 1.4V with the battery tester, 1.45 with the
voltmeter. But while that sounds pretty good, I know that in practice
they were useless. How much do 'rested' alkaline cells recover after
use?

IME 1.6 is brand new & falls very quickly to 1.5 stays there for a long
while drifting slowly down to 1.45 as it begins to die.
Sub 1.4 V is effectively dead.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where? keith UK diy 11 December 24th 03 08:49 PM
AAA battery chargers Tim Downie UK diy 8 November 29th 03 01:22 PM
Battery Voltage spec Andrew McKay UK diy 10 August 21st 03 11:42 PM