Ed Sirett

Default voltage of dead/good alkaline batteries

On Fri, 14 May 2004 08:53:00 +0100, D.M. Procida wrote:

I've got a bunch of alkaline cells here, and I'm wondering which of them
are going to be any good at all. What should I use as a cut-off voltage
when I'm deciding? I have a multimeter, which also has a battery tester
(I guess it just puts a bit of a load on them).

From one set I get around 1.4V with the battery tester, 1.45 with the
voltmeter. But while that sounds pretty good, I know that in practice
they were useless. How much do 'rested' alkaline cells recover after
use?

IME 1.6 is brand new & falls very quickly to 1.5 stays there for a long
while drifting slowly down to 1.45 as it begins to die.
Sub 1.4 V is effectively dead.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk