Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wickes cordless drill.

I have an ancient 18v one of these - uses Ni-Cads. All the batteries for
that - including the one I had refurbished at vast cost - are pretty well
dead. And the refurbished one never delivered the same power as the
originals. It is a useful drill in that it has an add on right angle
adaptor, so handy for the odd awkward space.

There's plenty room inside a battery case for 18v worth of 18650 Li-Ion,
and I do realise I'd need to mod the charger too.

Dedicated right angle cordless drills seem to be an arm and a leg - unless
someone knows different?

Anyone done this sort of mod?

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have an ancient 18v one of these - uses Ni-Cads. All the batteries for
that - including the one I had refurbished at vast cost - are pretty well
dead. And the refurbished one never delivered the same power as the
originals. It is a useful drill in that it has an add on right angle
adaptor, so handy for the odd awkward space.

There's plenty room inside a battery case for 18v worth of 18650 Li-Ion,
and I do realise I'd need to mod the charger too.

Dedicated right angle cordless drills seem to be an arm and a leg - unless
someone knows different?

Anyone done this sort of mod?

One option would be to put in NiMH which are still available. Some
chargers (e.g. my Makita one) are compatible. That said, I've got a
NiCad Ryobi drill plus angle drill plus all the bits in the bag of
"metal" scrap ready to go to the tip because ICBA to re-cell it.

Even the Aldi/Lidl LiIon drills have more oomph than the old NiCad ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Dedicated right angle cordless drills seem to be an arm and a leg - unless
someone knows different?

I have one of these
https://amazon.co.uk/DA331DZ/dp/B00I5LCDQA

But I think Makita are phasing-out tools that take the BL batteries?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Dedicated right angle cordless drills seem to be an arm and a leg -
unless someone knows different?

I have one of these
https://amazon.co.uk/DA331DZ/dp/B00I5LCDQA

But I think Makita are phasing-out tools that take the BL batteries?

Think with a battery and charger, would cost a lot more than my pipe dream?

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have an ancient 18v one of these - uses Ni-Cads. All the batteries for
that - including the one I had refurbished at vast cost - are pretty well
dead. And the refurbished one never delivered the same power as the
originals. It is a useful drill in that it has an add on right angle
adaptor, so handy for the odd awkward space.

There's plenty room inside a battery case for 18v worth of 18650 Li-Ion,
and I do realise I'd need to mod the charger too.

Dedicated right angle cordless drills seem to be an arm and a leg - unless
someone knows different?

Anyone done this sort of mod?

Only in a slightly indirect way. With my old NiMh platform Makita combi
drill and ID, I bought adaptor modules that allow them to be connected
to a modern LXT battery. Whether you can find similar for the Wickes one
may depend on the OEM. Some of their better "pro" cordless tools were
made by Kress. Might be worth looking to see if you can identify the
drill maker to give a wider set of search terms.

(or check out the 3D model site like thigiverse to see if there is
something appropriate you could download).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2020 14:00, newshound wrote:
[...]

The cost of a new Li-ion screwdriver was less than the cost of
re-celling my ancient Makita NiCd one.

The batteries are the main part of the cost in these things

You could build an 18v Lion pack if you were prepared to buy a separate
charger

Or at least a 16.8V (4s) or 21V (5s) one!

--
€œThose who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit
atrocities.€

€• Voltaire, Questions sur les Miracles Ã* M. Claparede, Professeur de
Théologie Ã* Genève, par un Proposant: Ou Extrait de Diverses Lettres de
M. de Voltaire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I have an ancient 18v one of these - uses Ni-Cads. All the batteries for
that - including the one I had refurbished at vast cost - are pretty well
dead. And the refurbished one never delivered the same power as the
originals. It is a useful drill in that it has an add on right angle
adaptor, so handy for the odd awkward space.

There's plenty room inside a battery case for 18v worth of 18650 Li-Ion,
and I do realise I'd need to mod the charger too.

Dedicated right angle cordless drills seem to be an arm and a leg - unless
someone knows different?

Anyone done this sort of mod?

Ive just done that
Lidl were selling a 20volt Li-Ion battery and charger for £19
and i fitted it to an old but still useful Blue Bosch drill

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I have an ancient 18v one of these - uses Ni-Cads. All the batteries for
that - including the one I had refurbished at vast cost - are pretty well
dead. And the refurbished one never delivered the same power as the
originals. It is a useful drill in that it has an add on right angle
adaptor, so handy for the odd awkward space.

There's plenty room inside a battery case for 18v worth of 18650 Li-Ion,
and I do realise I'd need to mod the charger too.

Dedicated right angle cordless drills seem to be an arm and a leg - unless
someone knows different?

Anyone done this sort of mod?

Ive just done that
Lidl were selling a 20volt Li-Ion battery and charger for £19
and i fitted it to an old but still useful Blue Bosch drill

Can you give details on how? That would be an ideal way.

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

[...]

I made the Lidl battery fit on to the top casing of the old Bosch battery
you can buy adaptors which is where i got the idea, for some makes but maybe
not for a wickes drill or Lidl battery

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I think Makita are phasing-out tools that take the BL batteries?

Think with a battery and charger, would cost a lot more than my pipe dream?

Yes, over a year ago the DA331D kit inc charger and batt (same part
number without the Z) was being flogged off, now I can't see it under £126.

Is this to do with drilling between joists in your ceiling refurb?

If so, an impact driver with a stubby four-flute auger makes a pretty
short combo and should get in there ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
What about some kind of stand alone battery. Surely there must be some,
only issue would be the thick cable needed.
Brian

Problem would be the battery to drill connection. Unless you can by a slot
in connector that could be fitted to the drill. Ideally, I'd use an 18v
Li-Ion that fits my several Lidl tools, as I have lots. Did wonder about
butchering a charger to get the socket, as I have more chargers for these
than I need. But the battery latches into the tool, but not charger.

I suspect the easiest way would be to take all the guts out of one of
those Lidl batteries and fit them inside the Wickes battery (IIRC, the
drill was made by Krell) And do the same with the Wickes charger. The Lidl
charger only has two contacts to the battery.

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Yes that is one thing you need to consider, can the motor stand the
actual amps deliverable from the new battery against the old nicads?

Is there much of a difference between the peak current decent Ni-Cads can
deliver and Li-Ion? The pack I had re-celled is nothing like as good as
the originals.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Yes that is one thing you need to consider, can the motor stand the
actual amps deliverable from the new battery against the old nicads?

Is there much of a difference between the peak current decent Ni-Cads can
deliver and Li-Ion? The pack I had re-celled is nothing like as good as
the originals.

There is quite a variation in the max current output from LiIon cells as
well, depending on what they are optimised for. So for example: LG MH1 €“
18650 Battery[1], good for 10A continuos, vs Sony/ Murata VTC5A €“ 18650
Battery[2] rated for 25A continuos or 35A if you can limit the temp to
80 deg C.

[1] https://18650.uk/product/lg-mh1-18650-battery/
[2] https://18650.uk/product/sony-vtc5a-18650-battery/

--