Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wickes cordless drill.

I have an ancient 18v one of these - uses Ni-Cads. All the batteries for
that - including the one I had refurbished at vast cost - are pretty well
dead. And the refurbished one never delivered the same power as the
originals. It is a useful drill in that it has an add on right angle
adaptor, so handy for the odd awkward space.

There's plenty room inside a battery case for 18v worth of 18650 Li-Ion,
and I do realise I'd need to mod the charger too.

Dedicated right angle cordless drills seem to be an arm and a leg - unless
someone knows different?

Anyone done this sort of mod?

Only in a slightly indirect way. With my old NiMh platform Makita combi
drill and ID, I bought adaptor modules that allow them to be connected
to a modern LXT battery. Whether you can find similar for the Wickes one
may depend on the OEM. Some of their better "pro" cordless tools were
made by Kress. Might be worth looking to see if you can identify the
drill maker to give a wider set of search terms.

(or check out the 3D model site like thigiverse to see if there is
something appropriate you could download).

--
Cheers,

John.