Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3.6v Cordless Screwdriver at Wickes

Went in Wickes today, and noticed they had a 3.6v Cordless Screwdriver
with Lithium Ion battery and a 3 year guarantee for £15 (originally £30).

Is 3.6v useless, or does it not depend on the voltage.

Picked up a catalogue, and noticed these are not in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Aug, 18:44, (Paul S) wrote:
Went in Wickes today, and noticed they had a 3.6v Cordless Screwdriver
with Lithium Ion battery and a 3 year guarantee for £15 (originally £30).

Is 3.6v useless, or does it not depend on the voltage.

Picked up a catalogue, and noticed these are not in it.

I suspect these might well be very similar to those from Lidl/Aldi
(can't remember which!). These are around a tenner and their main
advantage is lightness and a torque that is enough for small screws
without stripping them out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul S wrote:
Went in Wickes today, and noticed they had a 3.6v Cordless Screwdriver
with Lithium Ion battery and a 3 year guarantee for £15 (originally
£30).

Is 3.6v useless, or does it not depend on the voltage.

Can be useful for things like flat pack assembly, depends on the torque it
produces - which isn't mentioned on the web site. No separate battery is a
downside.

Cheap enough though, handy thing to have for DIY.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 22, 6:44*pm, (Paul S) wrote:
Went in Wickes today, and noticed they had a 3.6v Cordless Screwdriver
with Lithium Ion battery and a 3 year guarantee for £15 (originally £30).

Is 3.6v useless, or does it not depend on the voltage.

Picked up a catalogue, and noticed these are not in it.

No experience with the li-ion ones, but 'screwdriver' normally means
something that's too weak and too slow to be called a drill. Handy for
appliance screws, and maybe adequate if your total diy consists of
putting a curtain rail up or some such once every 6 months.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Paul S wrote:
Went in Wickes today, and noticed they had a 3.6v Cordless Screwdriver
with Lithium Ion battery and a 3 year guarantee for £15 (originally
£30).

Is 3.6v useless, or does it not depend on the voltage.

Can be useful for things like flat pack assembly, depends on the torque it
produces - which isn't mentioned on the web site. No separate battery is a
downside.

Cheap enough though, handy thing to have for DIY.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

So, if I wanted this for say, screwing down loft boards into joists, this
wouldn't have enough torque for 1.5inch screws with a pilot hole in the
joist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul S wrote:

So, if I wanted this for say, screwing down loft boards into joists, this
wouldn't have enough torque for 1.5inch screws with a pilot hole in the
joist.

It might do a couple. Slowly.

That's a job for a real driver - or even better, an impact driver.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 14:08:58 -0700 (PDT), robgraham wrote:

On 22 Aug, 18:44, (Paul S) wrote:
Went in Wickes today, and noticed they had a 3.6v Cordless Screwdriver
with Lithium Ion battery and a 3 year guarantee for £15 (originally £30).

Is 3.6v useless, or does it not depend on the voltage.

Picked up a catalogue, and noticed these are not in it.

I suspect these might well be very similar to those from Lidl/Aldi
(can't remember which!). These are around a tenner and their main
advantage is lightness and a torque that is enough for small screws
without stripping them out.

Lidl - about £13 last Autumn.
Limited use, but mine was very handy yesterday for replacing screws in a
situation tha would have been awkward with a manual 'driver and impossible
with a 'bent' driver. If the Wickes' one can be straightened out and has
gearing that locks rotation it'll be about the same as Lidl's.

As I was using no.8x½" screws, the limited torque was good, but a pilot
hole would be necessary even for these.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,
Paul S wrote:

So, if I wanted this for say, screwing down loft boards into joists,
this wouldn't have enough torque for 1.5inch screws with a pilot
hole in the joist.

It might do a couple. Slowly.

That's a job for a real driver - or even better, an impact driver.

Agreed. I use these for smaller jobs, 14.4v for bigger - like loft boards.

http://www.makitauk.com/index.php?sp...904&ca tid=81
http://www.makitauk.com/index.php?sp...664&ca tid=81

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Aug, 18:44, (Paul S) wrote:
[...]

Sounds similar to B&D one for under £8 in Sainsburys today; managed to
resist