Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Name that screw

I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esoteric M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screw ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esotericÂ*Â* M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screwÂ* ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

I would call that a bolt of some sort, rather than a screw.
Does it taper at all at the 'sharp' end ?. Difficult to say
from the pic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screwÂ* ...

flat wafer head gets you close ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

rick wrote:

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screwÂ* ...

flat wafer head gets you close ...

or low wafer head
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:19, Andrew wrote:
On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esotericÂ*Â* M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screwÂ* ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

I would call that a bolt of some sort, rather than a screw.
Does it taper at all at the 'sharp' end ?. Difficult to say
from the pic.

Machine screw.
But then much like the difference between a ship and a
boat, I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw
becomes a bolt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esotericÂ*Â* M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screwÂ* ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

Wafer head.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yylj4vee

Which is :-

https://www.google.com/search?q=M4+w...nt=firefox-b-d
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esotericÂ*Â* M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screwÂ* ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

Try ebay with a search of

black wafer head screw m4

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esoteric M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screw ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

I would call that a bolt of some sort, rather than a screw.
Does it taper at all at the 'sharp' end ?. Difficult to say
from the pic.

Machine screw.
But then much like the difference between a ship and a
boat, I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw
becomes a bolt.

I was taught a bolt isn't threaded all the way. One that is is a machine
screw.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bolts have an unthreaded section, screws do not, not able to see the pick,
but there are a lot of special heads around. Thin profile Cheeseheads were
used a lot on some radar gear. Also some serrated head countersunk ones
that gripped the holes. I guess somebody will make almost anything if there
is a demand for them. My pet hate are security screws with completely
illogical tools needed to take them out.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew" wrote in message
On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esoteric M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screw ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

I would call that a bolt of some sort, rather than a screw.
Does it taper at all at the 'sharp' end ?. Difficult to say
from the pic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esotericÂ*Â* M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty
thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screwÂ* ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

I would call that a bolt of some sort, rather than a screw.
Does it taper at all at the 'sharp' end ?. Difficult to say
from the pic.

Â*Machine screw.
Â*But then much like the difference between a ship and a
boat, I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw
becomes a bolt.

A bolt usually has a 6 sided head on it for a spanner, while a screw has
a slot or similar for a screwdriver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Even setscrews can have different profile and thickness heads of course.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
Jimk Wrote in message:
Andrew Wrote in message:
On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esoteric M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty
thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screw ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

I would call that a bolt of some sort, rather than a screw.
Does it taper at all at the 'sharp' end ?. Difficult to say
from the pic.

Set screw

Or machine screw?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esotericÂ*Â* M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screwÂ* ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

Use a normal screw and a big washer.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:34, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

rick wrote:

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screwÂ* ...

flat wafer head gets you close ...

or low wafer head

Agreed.

Might you get away with a pan head? Perhaps with the help of a file.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw Luckily thread is nothing
esotericÂ*Â* M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty
thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screwÂ* ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

I would call that a bolt of some sort, rather than a screw.
Does it taper at all at the 'sharp' end ?. Difficult to say from the
pic.

Â*Machine screw.
Â*But then much like the difference between a ship and a
boat, I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw
becomes a bolt.

A bolt usually has a 6 sided head on it for a spanner, while a screw has
a slot or similar for a screwdriver.

Tell that to a coach screw!

No, a bolt has an unthreaded section. A screw is threaded all the way
along.

There are machine screws, and wood screws, and grub screws, and...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esotericÂ*Â* M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screwÂ* ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

try "pan head".

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 20:22:40 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Even setscrews can have different profile and thickness heads of course.
Brian

Pan head screw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:55, soup wrote:
I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw
becomes a bolt.

When it has a piece of plain unthreaded shank.

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
But then much like the difference between a ship and a
boat, I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw
becomes a bolt.

A bolt is threaded into a nut to tighten it,

A screw is threaded into a female thread, or as in the case of woodscrews
creates it own female thread.

Because a bolt can be used to join components through an unthreaded hole
there's no necessity for the thread to go all the way to the end. However
this is purely incidental.

Standard pattern woodscrews are plain at the end but are still screws.

Whereas machine screws can be used with nuts through unthreaded holes,
in which case they're functioning as bolts.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 October 2020 18:17:32 UTC+1, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esoteric M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screw ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

This link takes you to numerous forms of pan head screw:

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/161-pan-head-screws

Good, clear pictures.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2020 08:27:31, michael adams wrote:
"soup" wrote in message
But then much like the difference between a ship and a
boat, I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw
becomes a bolt.

A bolt is threaded into a nut to tighten it,

A screw is threaded into a female thread, or as in the case of woodscrews
creates it own female thread.

Because a bolt can be used to join components through an unthreaded hole
there's no necessity for the thread to go all the way to the end. However
this is purely incidental.

The convention is that a bolt is not wholly threaded along it's length.
If it is, them it would normally be called a machine screw.

It's not normally considered 'coincidental'?

Standard pattern woodscrews are plain at the end but are still screws.

Whereas machine screws can be used with nuts through unthreaded holes,
in which case they're functioning as bolts.

I have always believed that bolts were designed to assist in location,
apart from being cheaper to make than machine screws.

Unfortunately the wikipedia entry for Machine Screws is ASME / US based.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:

"soup" wrote in message
But then much like the difference between a ship and a
boat, I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw
becomes a bolt.

A bolt is threaded into a nut to tighten it,

A screw is threaded into a female thread, or as in the case of woodscrews
creates it own female thread.

Because a bolt can be used to join components through an unthreaded hole
there's no necessity for the thread to go all the way to the end. However
this is purely incidental.

Standard pattern woodscrews are plain at the end but are still screws.

Whereas machine screws can be used with nuts through unthreaded holes,
in which case they're functioning as bolts.

Never worked on a car engine? You'll find plenty bolts on that - only part
threaded - that go into a casting. So no nut. The non threaded part is
larger than the thread so helps to locate what it's fixing more
accurately. The reason - apart from strength - that a bolt is used.

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esoteric M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screw ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

try "pan head".

Pan head is perhaps the most common none CSK type. I'd guess the OP is
looking for a larger diameter head than that. The sort used for fixing
sheet materials of various types.

--
*Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
But then much like the difference between a ship and a
boat, I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw
becomes a bolt.

A bolt is threaded into a nut to tighten it,

A screw is threaded into a female thread, or as in the case of woodscrews
creates it own female thread.

Because a bolt can be used to join components through an unthreaded hole
there's no necessity for the thread to go all the way to the end. However
this is purely incidental.

The convention is that a bolt is not wholly threaded along it's length. If it is, them
it would normally be called a machine screw.

It's not normally considered 'coincidental'?

It is purely "incidental". The different threading on nuts and bolts is a
direct result of the different functions they were designed to perform.

Nobody decided to produce fasteners where the threading only
went three quarters of the way along and then worked out what they
could be used for - joining components through unthreaded holes
which could then be tightened with a nut.

What they needed to produce was something which could join
components through an unthreaded hole which could be tightened
with a nut - which is what we call a bolt.

The fact that the threading on this fastner doesn't need to cover the entire
length is purely incidental. The bolt could work equally well if it was threaded
over its entire length,

What defines nuts and bolts is the way they're used, not their appearance

My previous explanation was entirely OTTOHM. However logical sounding
definitions. once encountered, seem to stick in the memory..

quote

A bolt is an externally threaded fastener designed for insertion through holes
in assembled parts, and is normally intended to be tightened or released by
torquing a nut. A screw is an externally threaded fastener capable of being
inserted into holes in assembled parts, of mating with a preformed internal
thread or forming its own thread, and of being tightened or released by
torquing the head.

Machinery's Handbook

quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw#...bolt_and_screw

Standard pattern woodscrews are plain at the end but are still screws.

Whereas machine screws can be used with nuts through unthreaded holes,
in which case they're functioning as bolts.

I have always believed that bolts were designed to assist in location, apart from being
cheaper to make than machine screws.

Eh ? Its precisely the opposite. Provided the nut and the bolt head are big enough
there's no necessary connection whatsoever between the bolt diameter and the hole
through which its put, Even more so, if oversize washers are also used at either end.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
michael adams wrote:

"soup" wrote in message
But then much like the difference between a ship and a
boat, I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw
becomes a bolt.

A bolt is threaded into a nut to tighten it,

A screw is threaded into a female thread, or as in the case of woodscrews
creates it own female thread.

Because a bolt can be used to join components through an unthreaded hole
there's no necessity for the thread to go all the way to the end. However
this is purely incidental.

Standard pattern woodscrews are plain at the end but are still screws.

Whereas machine screws can be used with nuts through unthreaded holes,
in which case they're functioning as bolts.

Never worked on a car engine? You'll find plenty bolts on that - only part
threaded - that go into a casting.

The fact that they may look like bolts is immaterial. They in fact
function as screws

quote

A bolt is an externally threaded fastener designed for insertion through holes
in assembled parts, and is normally intended to be tightened or released by
torquing a nut. A screw is an externally threaded fastener capable of being
inserted into holes in assembled parts, of mating with a preformed internal
thread or forming its own thread, and of being tightened or released by
torquing the head.

Machinery's Handbook

quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw#...bolt_and_screw

So no nut. The non threaded part is
larger than the thread so helps to locate what it's fixing more
accurately. The reason - apart from strength - that a bolt is used.

Calling a particular machined fastener a "bolt" doesn't in fact make
it any stronger than an identical machined fastener that someone else,
more correctly I would suggest, calls a "screw".

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
But then much like the difference between a ship and a
boat, I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw
becomes a bolt.

A bolt is threaded into a nut to tighten it,

A screw is threaded into a female thread, or as in the case of woodscrews
creates it own female thread.

Because a bolt can be used to join components through an unthreaded hole
there's no necessity for the thread to go all the way to the end. However
this is purely incidental.

The convention is that a bolt is not wholly threaded along it's length. If it is, them
it would normally be called a machine screw.

It's not normally considered 'coincidental'?

It is purely "incidental". The different threading on nuts and bolts is a
direct result of the different functions they were designed to perform.

I wouldn't call two entirely different functions 'coincidental'.

Nobody decided to produce fasteners where the threading only
went three quarters of the way along and then worked out what they
could be used for - joining components through unthreaded holes
which could then be tightened with a nut.

I don't get your point. Bolts are generally cheaper to make and many
bolts I have come across are intended to provide an element of location.
A good example is attaching two castings together. There need be no nit
where one is threaded and the other plain and a close fit to the bolt.

[...]

Which I have already stated is USA centric.

Standard pattern woodscrews are plain at the end but are still screws.

Whereas machine screws can be used with nuts through unthreaded holes,
in which case they're functioning as bolts.

I have always believed that bolts were designed to assist in location, apart from being
cheaper to make than machine screws.

Eh ? Its precisely the opposite. Provided the nut and the bolt head are big enough
there's no necessary connection whatsoever between the bolt diameter and the hole
through which its put, Even more so, if oversize washers are also used at either end.

Ah, I can see the problem.

I can assure you a bolt, with a non-threaded portion can be used for
location, whereas the indeterminate true diameter of a thread is going
to be a sloppy fit.

I can assure you a bolt can be used in castings and made captive without
a nut. As Dave has said it seems you haven't worked much on cars.

There is usually a very strong correlation between the hole size and
bolt/screw. Anything else would be considered a bodge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
[...]

I was in steelwork engineering for most of my working life, so what do I
know..
i didn't say anything about the thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
[...]

It's very simple really and there's nothing USA centric about it.

A bolt is something you push through a hole with a thread on the end. That's it.
It doesn't move after that. You shove a nut on the other end and you turn the
nut to tighten the bolt.

A screw is something you er screw into a threaded hole until you can't screw
it in any further.

Spot the difference ?

[...]

They're screws not bolts.

Like Dave and all the other "experts" you're understandably confused because they
do admittedly look like bolts. However that's only going by appearences

However like Dave, when you were screwing these "bolts" into these cylinder heads
did you never stop and think "hold on, if I'm screwing these bolts into this cylinder
head rather than just pushing them in and tightening them on the other side with a nut,
like I do with all other bolts, why are they called "bolts" and not "screws" ?

There is usually a very strong correlation between the hole size and bolt/screw.
Anything else would be considered a bodge.

But at least it *is* possible bodge with genuine bolts whereas it clearly isn't with the
kind of nuts which you insist on calling bolts based solely on their appearance.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
Never worked on a car engine? You'll find plenty bolts on that - only
part threaded - that go into a casting.

The fact that they may look like bolts is immaterial. They in fact
function as screws

quote

A bolt is an externally threaded fastener designed for insertion through
holes in assembled parts, and is normally intended to be tightened or
released by torquing a nut. A screw is an externally threaded fastener
capable of being inserted into holes in assembled parts, of mating with
a preformed internal thread or forming its own thread, and of being
tightened or released by torquing the head.

Machinery's Handbook

quote

Hmm. So why do we have nuts and bolts if a bolt describes the whole thing?

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
Never worked on a car engine? You'll find plenty bolts on that - only
part threaded - that go into a casting.

The fact that they may look like bolts is immaterial. They in fact
function as screws

quote

A bolt is an externally threaded fastener designed for insertion through
holes in assembled parts, and is normally intended to be tightened or
released by torquing a nut. A screw is an externally threaded fastener
capable of being inserted into holes in assembled parts, of mating with
a preformed internal thread or forming its own thread, and of being
tightened or released by torquing the head.

Machinery's Handbook

quote

Hmm. So why do we have nuts and bolts if a bolt describes the whole thing?

Eh ?

Where does "a bolt" describe the whole thing.

You push the bolt through the hole and then place a nut on the end,
and then tighten the nut.

If you don't screw a nut on the end and tighten it, then the bolt
may possibly work loose and eventually fall out.

Admittedly what you call cylinder head "bolts" don't have nuts. But
that's only because they're screws and and not bolts.

Whereas cylinder head "studs", which are first screwed into the head,
then do then function as "bolts"; as they don't move any further, and are
secured by cylinder head nuts.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
[...]

Only in the uninformed world.

It doesn't move after that. You shove a nut on the other end and you turn the
nut to tighten the bolt.

A bolt doesn't have a nut. It can quite easily be screwed into a casting
or similar.

Quite, like a machine screw.

A screw is something you er screw into a threaded hole until you can't screw
it in any further.

The purpose of a bolt or machine screw is for retention. I put a bolt
into a threaded hold and can screw until I can't screw it in any further
too. That would be the point of a bolt too.

Spot the difference ?

Yes, a bolt has a plain shank, sometimes used for location and a machine
screw is fully threaded, aprt from say the top 1mm or so.

[...]

They would be called bolts in the UK and I would purchase bolts; where a
portion of the bolt is plain and not threaded.

Like Dave and all the other "experts" you're understandably confused because they
do admittedly look like bolts. However that's only going by appearences

I'm not an expert any more than you. You go to a supplier of fasteners
and ask for machine screws or set screws and you'll get a fully threaded
item. Ask for bolts and there will be a plain part. If critical it would
be prudent to find out how long the plan part is. I believe there is an
ISO standard.

However like Dave, when you were screwing these "bolts" into these cylinder heads
did you never stop and think "hold on, if I'm screwing these bolts into this cylinder
head rather than just pushing them in and tightening them on the other side with a nut,
like I do with all other bolts, why are they called "bolts" and not "screws" ?

You are now saying a cylinder head bolt is a screw because retention is
not by a nut. This is in the face of centuries of UK tradition.

There is usually a very strong correlation between the hole size and bolt/screw.
Anything else would be considered a bodge.

But at least it *is* possible bodge with genuine bolts whereas it clearly isn't with the
kind of nuts which you insist on calling bolts based solely on their appearance.

I think you're getting confused with nuts and bolts. I have never called
a nut a bolt or visa-versa.

This might assist:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_screw

Your beliefs are USA centric. This link may help:
https://www.accu.co.uk/en/p/131-diff...rews-and-bolts

If you live in the UK I find it best to follow UK convention.

YMMV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esoteric M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screw ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

I would call that a bolt of some sort, rather than a screw.
Does it taper at all at the 'sharp' end ?. Difficult to say
from the pic.

Machine screw.
But then much like the difference between a ship and a
boat, I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw
becomes a bolt.

I was taught a bolt isn't threaded all the way. One that is is a machine
screw.

I have plenty of hexagon-headed bolts where the thread
goes right uup to the head though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2020 08:27, michael adams wrote:
A bolt is threaded into a nut to tighten it,

A screw is threaded into a female thread, or as in the case of woodscrews
creates it own female thread.

Is a cylinder head bolt, a bolt or a machine screw ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 22/10/2020 08:27, michael adams wrote:
A bolt is threaded into a nut to tighten it,

A screw is threaded into a female thread, or as in the case of woodscrews
creates it own female thread.

Is a cylinder head bolt, a bolt or a machine screw ?.

Possibly this may help clarify things.

Functionally its a screw, as its screwed into a thread; rather than being
secured with a nut as is a bolt.

The fact that people mistakenly refer to them as "bolts" based solely on
their appearance rather than on their function is unfortunate.

Whereas cylinder head "studs", which are first screwed into the head,
then do then function as "bolts"; as they don't move any further, and are
secured by cylinder head nuts.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 22/10/2020 08:27, michael adams wrote:
A bolt is threaded into a nut to tighten it,

A screw is threaded into a female thread, or as in the case of woodscrews
creates it own female thread.

Is a cylinder head bolt, a bolt or a machine screw ?.

Possibly this may help clarify things.

Functionally its a screw, as its screwed into a thread; rather than being
secured with a nut as is a bolt.

The fact that people mistakenly refer to them as "bolts" based solely on
their appearance rather than on their function is unfortunate.

Whereas cylinder head "studs", which are first screwed into the head,

Oops ! Make that screwed into the block. Doubtless other posters will
be along in hours to come, to point out this error.

then do then function as "bolts"; as they don't move any further, and are
secured by cylinder head nuts.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
Hmm. So why do we have nuts and bolts if a bolt describes the whole thing?

Eh ?

Where does "a bolt" describe the whole thing.

You push the bolt through the hole and then place a nut on the end,
and then tighten the nut.

But you've said a bolt is only a bolt if it has a nut. No nut, it's not a
bolt but a machine screw.

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
Hmm. So why do we have nuts and bolts if a bolt describes the whole
thing?

Eh ?

Where does "a bolt" describe the whole thing.

You push the bolt through the hole and then place a nut on the end,
and then tighten the nut.

But you've said a bolt is only a bolt if it has a nut. No nut, it's not a
bolt but a machine screw.

What *is* the correct distinction between a bolt (which is intended to be
screwed into a nut, sandwiching something between bolt head and nut)) and a
machine screw which is designed to be screwed into a larger frame? I presume
both a bolt and a machine screw of a given diameter and thread pitch can be
used interchangeably in either role.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
Hmm. So why do we have nuts and bolts if a bolt describes the whole thing?

Eh ?

Where does "a bolt" describe the whole thing.

You push the bolt through the hole and then place a nut on the end,
and then tighten the nut.

But you've said a bolt is only a bolt if it has a nut. No nut, it's not a
bolt but a machine screw.

Indeed. So if cylinder head bolts don't require nuts then they're
not bolts but screws; as I said .

As to the precise definition of machine screws as against any other
type of screw, say set screws, I have no strong opinions either way.
The generic term "screw" will suffice.

BTW you seemed to have overlooked my rather unfortunate error in
saying that studs are threaded into cylinder heads; rather than
what I should have said, threaded into cylinder blocks.

michael adams