Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Name that screw

Bolts have an unthreaded section, screws do not, not able to see the pick,
but there are a lot of special heads around. Thin profile Cheeseheads were
used a lot on some radar gear. Also some serrated head countersunk ones
that gripped the holes. I guess somebody will make almost anything if there
is a demand for them. My pet hate are security screws with completely
illogical tools needed to take them out.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew" wrote in message
On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esoteric M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screw ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

I would call that a bolt of some sort, rather than a screw.
Does it taper at all at the 'sharp' end ?. Difficult to say
from the pic.