Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Name that screw

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 20:21:57 +0100, RobH wrote:

On 21/10/2020 18:55, soup wrote:
On 21/10/2020 18:19, Andrew wrote:
On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw Luckily thread is nothing
esotericÂ*Â* M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty
thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screwÂ* ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

I would call that a bolt of some sort, rather than a screw.
Does it taper at all at the 'sharp' end ?. Difficult to say from the
pic.

Â*Machine screw.
Â*But then much like the difference between a ship and a
boat, I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw
becomes a bolt.

A bolt usually has a 6 sided head on it for a spanner, while a screw has
a slot or similar for a screwdriver.

Tell that to a coach screw!

No, a bolt has an unthreaded section. A screw is threaded all the way
along.

There are machine screws, and wood screws, and grub screws, and...