Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Name that screw

Fredxx wrote:

I thought read that the term originated with arrows and crossbows. BICBW

OED has that as it's earliest definition,
for a bolt as fastening it has ...

"A stout metal pin with a head, used for holding things fast together.
It may be permanently fixed, secured by riveting or by a nut, as the
bolts of a ship; or movable, passing through a hole, as the bolts of a
shutter."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 16:12:47 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
michael adams wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message

I don't understand why you persist.
https://www.leytonfasteners.co.uk/bo...w-information/

Common UK parlance for a bolt and a set screw is that there is thread
the entire length of the set screw, whereas a bolt is only partly
threaded.

Clearly the "experts" at the University of Leytonfasteners along with
Professor Turnip have never heard of "roofing bolts" either.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?

q=roofing+bolts&complete=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa =X&ved=2ahUKEwjGkMbA-8rsAhW0mFwKHS2sA3AQ_AUoAnoECAkQBA&biw=1024&bih=642

How about the bolt on your garden gate? Not a thread or nut in sight.
And that's before we start on bolts of lightening...

Plenty of threads in a bolt of cloth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 18:17, rick wrote:
I have a need to find a replacement screw
Luckily thread is nothing esotericÂ*Â* M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screwÂ* ...

https://flic.kr/p/2jXJRyz

I would call that a button head, but its probably specific to a machine
manufacturer.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 21:21, Bob Eager wrote:
Tell that to a coach screw!

No, a bolt has an unthreaded section. A screw is threaded all the way
along.

There are machine screws, and wood screws, and grub screws, and...

.... and I have a large collection of wood _screws_ many of which are
unthreaded near the head It's only recently they've started being
threaded all the way up.

What's the difference between a pan head and a wafer head?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

What's the difference between a pan head and a wafer head?

Head thickness. The main use of self-tapping wafer screws seems to be
fixing the metal U-channel/C-stud partition walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" Wrote in message:
"Fredxx" wrote in message

Common UK parlance for a bolt and a set screw is that there is thread the
entire length of the set screw, whereas a bolt is only partly threaded.

Anything else is contrary to UK convention, for decades, perhaps rather
than centuries.

You are of course perfectly free to believe otherwise, but is a foolish
approach and most unhelpful in making purchases in the UK of, or
specifying in the UK, machine/set screws / bolts.

So the bolts (and corresponding nuts) that I bought the other day were not
really bolts but screws because they are threaded right up to the head.

I imagine that the nature of the head is also a factor in the screw/bolt
decision. If it has round head with a flat or cross-head notch, tightened
with a screwdriver, it's a screw; if it has a hexagonal or square head, it
may be a bolt depending on how far up the shank the threads continue.

There is a third category - the ******* bolt from hell! The spare wheel on
my Peugeot 306 was held into a cage under the boot by a bolt-sized screw
with a *round* head that had a semi-cylindrical notch in it (ie the sides
were not vertical). You were supposed to use the flattened end of the
wheelbrace as a crude screwdriver. This idea failed fairly spectacularly if
the captive nut on the cage got seized onto the threads (it was exposed to
all the water that was thrown on the underside of the car), because the
curved sides of the notch in the screw head meant that the "screwdriver" end
of the wheelbrace just climbed out of the notch. It took an RAC man about
half an hour to free the seized thread with WD40, heat, lots of cursing and
imprecations about the parentage of the person who had designed it. How much
more effort does it take to cut (or die-stamp) a semi-cylindrical notch than
to cut one with vertical sides using a milling machine? Or to mill/die-stamp
a proper hexagonal head the same size as the wheel bolts.

This tale is becoming akin to D i m 's regular treaties on
rupture-seal or whatever...

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----