Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Partially-used paint tins milk bottle

The usual way of storing partially-used paint tins is to turn them
upside-down, so that the skin that invariably forms is at the bottom of
the paint when next you use it.

Although not original, I've realised that the flexible translucent
plastic milk bottles (typically 1 and 2 pint sizes) make pretty good
containers for the unused paint. After decanting the paint, just
carefully squeeze the bottle until the paint level reaches right up to
the rim of the neck, and screw the top on (tightly). That way all air is
excluded, and a skin is prevented from forming. [And don't forget to
label the bottle!]

Anyone see any problems?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2020 12:18, Ian Jackson wrote:
The usual way of storing partially-used paint tins is to turn them
upside-down, so that the skin that invariably forms is at the bottom of
the paint when next you use it.

Although not original, I've realised that the flexible translucent
plastic milk bottles (typically 1 and 2 pint sizes) make pretty good
containers for the unused paint. After decanting the paint, just
carefully squeeze the bottle until the paint level reaches right up to
the rim of the neck, and screw the top on (tightly). That way all air is
excluded, and a skin is prevented from forming. [And don't forget to
label the bottle!]

Magnolia Tea!

Anyone see any problems?

Lifetime in the shed? Plastic degrading?

I keep old paint tins for years.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian Caspersz
writes
On 04/10/2020 12:18, Ian Jackson wrote:
The usual way of storing partially-used paint tins is to turn them
upside-down, so that the skin that invariably forms is at the bottom
of the paint when next you use it.
Although not original, I've realised that the flexible translucent
plastic milk bottles (typically 1 and 2 pint sizes) make pretty good
containers for the unused paint. After decanting the paint, just
carefully squeeze the bottle until the paint level reaches right up to
the rim of the neck, and screw the top on (tightly). That way all air
is excluded, and a skin is prevented from forming. [And don't forget
to label the bottle!]

Magnolia Tea!

Very refreshing (or so I'm told) - and pale magnolia emulsion is
sometimes almost indistinguishable from certain types of full-cream
milk.

Anyone see any problems?

Lifetime in the shed? Plastic degrading?

While it might be wise to keep the bottles where any leakage will be
retained, I don't think that plastic milk bottles are designed to
self-destruct in the short-term.

I keep old paint tins for years.

That's the trouble. I have some dating back probably 40 years - but
heaven knows how usable they still are. [I really should chuck them out
- but I'm not sure how welcome half-used tins of paint are at the local
'recycling facility'. Reports are that, these days, admission is like
getting through a hostile border passport control and customs, and you
are likely to be charged the earth for anything resembling
'non-domestic'.] Now if I had put the left-overs in flexible bottles,
squeezed to get rid of the air, a quick inspection would have told me.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 October 2020 15:55:41 UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Adrian Caspersz
writes
[...]

plastics don't last very well. I'd guess milk bottles are some sort of PE, which is not one of the longer lived plastics.

I keep old paint tins for years.

That's the trouble. I have some dating back probably 40 years - but
heaven knows how usable they still are. [I really should chuck them out
- but I'm not sure how welcome half-used tins of paint are at the local
'recycling facility'. Reports are that, these days, admission is like
getting through a hostile border passport control and customs, and you
are likely to be charged the earth for anything resembling
'non-domestic'.] Now if I had put the left-overs in flexible bottles,
squeezed to get rid of the air, a quick inspection would have told me.

It's easy to find out what state the contents are in. Tips take paint cans, but getting into a tip is atm impossible IME. Rubbish bins also take paints, so do giveaway lists like freegle, facebook, gumtree etc.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/10/20 1:55 am, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Adrian Caspersz
writes
On 04/10/2020 12:18, Ian Jackson wrote:
The usual way of storing partially-used paint tins is to turn them
upside-down, so that the skin that invariably forms is at the bottom
ofÂ* the paint when next you use it.
Â*Although not original, I've realised that the flexible translucent
plastic milk bottles (typically 1 and 2 pint sizes) make pretty good
containers for the unused paint. After decanting the paint, just
carefully squeeze the bottle until the paint level reaches right up
to the rim of the neck, and screw the top on (tightly). That way all
air isÂ* excluded, and a skin is prevented from forming. [And don't
forget toÂ* label the bottle!]

Magnolia Tea!

Very refreshing (or so I'm told) - and pale magnolia emulsion is
sometimes almost indistinguishable from certain types of full-cream milk.

Â*Anyone see any problems?

Lifetime in the shed? Plastic degrading?

While it might be wise to keep the bottles where any leakage will be
retained, I don't think that plastic milk bottles are designed to
self-destruct in the short-term.

I keep old paint tins for years.

That's the trouble. I have some dating back probably 40 years - but
heaven knows how usable they still are. [I really should chuck them out
- but I'm not sure how welcome half-used tins of paint are at the local
'recycling facility'. Reports are that, these days, admission is like
getting through a hostile border passport control and customs, and you
are likely to be charged the earth for anything resembling
'non-domestic'.] Now if I had put the left-overs in flexible bottles,
squeezed to get rid of the air, a quick inspection would have told me.

Left to themselves our milk containers degrade fairly quickly and become
brittle, do not know what they would do with paint in them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I remember going to my waste processing station, the name for the tip that
week, being told that paint was not accepted and there was a company of all
places in the City of London which could reprocess it. Its no wonder there
is so much fly tipping going on.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
wrote :
plastics don't last very well. I'd guess milk bottles are some sort
of PE, which is not one of the longer lived plastics.

I have feet to spread the weight, attached to the corner steadies of my
tourer caravan. They are attached via a plastic pin. I bought these
around 18 years ago, but quite soon managed to snap the retaining pins.
I replaced the pins, with the rolled up plastic milk bottle material -
cut a large rectangle and simply roll it up to form a pin. Each time I
have changed caravans, I have simply moved the feet and pin to the
newer one. The have been there, out in the sun and whether for around
17 years, with absolutely no deterioration.

Interesting (and reassuring). I had a quick look in the garden shed, and
immediately saw that a 2.5 litre bottle of path and patio cleaner was
HDPE. I'm sure some other bottles of other stuff were also HDPE, but the
triangle (which would have had the '2' on it) was too small for me to
read in the fading light.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
I remember going to my waste processing station, the name for the tip that
week, being told that paint was not accepted and there was a company of all
places in the City of London which could reprocess it. Its no wonder there
is so much fly tipping going on.
Brian

I haven't been to the local tip since they started charging (in my mind,
for what I have already paid for in a £3k+ council tax).

However, some years ago I did take a few partially-full tins of old
paint, and was told just to lob them in the skip for ferrous metals.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson used his keyboard to write :
I haven't been to the local tip since they started charging (in my mind, for
what I have already paid for in a £3k+ council tax).

However, some years ago I did take a few partially-full tins of old paint,
and was told just to lob them in the skip for ferrous metals.

A local charity shop always has around a couple of dozen part used tins
of paint on one of there shelves. Usually it is top quality commercial
grade paints and with delivery labels in place, as if it has been
donated by a professional decorating company.

Me, I keep paint for a few years after decorating - you never know when
you might need to do some patching to cover damage, so I write on the
tins where the paint was used. My stored tins came in just a couple of
weeks ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 October 2020 08:55:44 UTC+1, wrote:

Me, I keep paint for a few years after decorating - you never know when
you might need to do some patching to cover damage, so I write on the
tins where the paint was used. My stored tins came in just a couple of
weeks ago.

+1, crazy not to. IME most things can be patched up & go for a good while longer before a full repaint is needed.

NT