Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_9_] Ian Jackson[_9_] is offline

Default Partially-used paint tins milk bottle

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
wrote :
plastics don't last very well. I'd guess milk bottles are some sort
of PE, which is not one of the longer lived plastics.

I have feet to spread the weight, attached to the corner steadies of my
tourer caravan. They are attached via a plastic pin. I bought these
around 18 years ago, but quite soon managed to snap the retaining pins.
I replaced the pins, with the rolled up plastic milk bottle material -
cut a large rectangle and simply roll it up to form a pin. Each time I
have changed caravans, I have simply moved the feet and pin to the
newer one. The have been there, out in the sun and whether for around
17 years, with absolutely no deterioration.

Interesting (and reassuring). I had a quick look in the garden shed, and
immediately saw that a 2.5 litre bottle of path and patio cleaner was
HDPE. I'm sure some other bottles of other stuff were also HDPE, but the
triangle (which would have had the '2' on it) was too small for me to
read in the fading light.
--
Ian