Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_9_] Ian Jackson[_9_] is offline

Default Partially-used paint tins milk bottle

In message , Adrian Caspersz
writes
On 04/10/2020 12:18, Ian Jackson wrote:
The usual way of storing partially-used paint tins is to turn them
upside-down, so that the skin that invariably forms is at the bottom
of the paint when next you use it.
Although not original, I've realised that the flexible translucent
plastic milk bottles (typically 1 and 2 pint sizes) make pretty good
containers for the unused paint. After decanting the paint, just
carefully squeeze the bottle until the paint level reaches right up to
the rim of the neck, and screw the top on (tightly). That way all air
is excluded, and a skin is prevented from forming. [And don't forget
to label the bottle!]

Magnolia Tea!

Very refreshing (or so I'm told) - and pale magnolia emulsion is
sometimes almost indistinguishable from certain types of full-cream
milk.

Anyone see any problems?

Lifetime in the shed? Plastic degrading?

While it might be wise to keep the bottles where any leakage will be
retained, I don't think that plastic milk bottles are designed to
self-destruct in the short-term.

I keep old paint tins for years.

That's the trouble. I have some dating back probably 40 years - but
heaven knows how usable they still are. [I really should chuck them out
- but I'm not sure how welcome half-used tins of paint are at the local
'recycling facility'. Reports are that, these days, admission is like
getting through a hostile border passport control and customs, and you
are likely to be charged the earth for anything resembling
'non-domestic'.] Now if I had put the left-overs in flexible bottles,
squeezed to get rid of the air, a quick inspection would have told me.
--
Ian