Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Milk paint recipes and other natural paint recipes

Hi;
I can't say I'm a devoted reader of this newsgroup, the last time I read it was 1987.

I used to have as part of a small personal website a milk paint reicipe
that was so unexpectedly popular I used to get phone calls about it.

It used to be at vrx.net/richard/mailk-paint or something like that. That url
is long dead but, I've put it and every other milk and natural paint and
finish recipe I could find on a newer version of my site.

Hopefully some of you might find it useful.

http://rs79.vrx.net/interests/house/paint/

Cheers,

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Hi;
I can't say I'm a devoted reader of this newsgroup, the last time I read
it was 1987.

I used to have as part of a small personal website a milk paint reicipe
that was so unexpectedly popular I used to get phone calls about it.

It used to be at vrx.net/richard/mailk-paint or something like that. That
url
is long dead but, I've put it and every other milk and natural paint and
finish recipe I could find on a newer version of my site.

Hopefully some of you might find it useful.

http://rs79.vrx.net/interests/house/paint/

Cheers,

Thank you Richard, Nice site to visit. I was not aware however that Al
Gore invented the internet in 1987, ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Hi;
I can't say I'm a devoted reader of this newsgroup, the last
time I read it was 1987.

I used to have as part of a small personal website a milk paint
reicipe that was so unexpectedly popular I used to get phone
calls about it.

It used to be at vrx.net/richard/mailk-paint or something like
that. That url
is long dead but, I've put it and every other milk and natural
paint and finish recipe I could find on a newer version of my
site.

Hopefully some of you might find it useful.

http://rs79.vrx.net/interests/house/paint/

Cheers,

Thank you Richard, Nice site to visit. I was not aware however
that Al Gore invented the internet in 1987, ;~)

I'm not sure what you mean here. I don't recall exact dates off
the top of my head, but Usenet dates to the early 1980s at latest,
and I think the first Arpanet sites were connected to each other in
the late 1960s. I know first-hand that the Internet and Usenet
existed in 1987, because that's when I first encountered them.

Is there some joke I'm missing? (Yes, I get the Al Gore reference)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"darkon" wrote in message

Is there some joke I'm missing? (Yes, I get the Al Gore reference)

No, it was the Al Gore thing whom had not shown up on the radar with his
invention until later years. That said, I first got on the internet, well
accessed other computers from my personal computer back in the mid to later
80's. Work related access to other computers via modem in 1978. While it
did exist, I'd say that less than 5% of PC users then, "1987" were aware of
an internet as such. I was a little surprised by the OP that the last time
he read this group was 20 years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message news

an internet as such. I was a little surprised by the OP that the last

time
he read this group was 20 years ago.

net.rec.wood ... ahhh yes, the good old days of the wRec, when women were
women, and men were REAL wooddorkers!

None of this touchy feely milkpaint and politics.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

That*said,*I*first*got*on*the*internet,*well
accessed other computers from my personal computer back in the mid to later
80's.**Work*related*access*to*other*computers*via* modem*in*1978.

And before the Internet was Fido.

And before Fido was timesharing.

It makes me really appreciate todays technology when I recall acoustic
couplers and paper tape on a teletype :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:

It makes me really appreciate todays technology when I recall acoustic
couplers and paper tape on a teletype :-).

Especially at 50 baud, when trying to send something to the boonies.

By comparison, a good 110 baud connection was living in high cotton.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:

It makes me really appreciate todays technology when I recall acoustic
couplers and paper tape on a teletype :-).

Especially at 50 baud, when trying to send something to the boonies.

By comparison, a good 110 baud connection was living in high cotton.

Yep, had to have been there to appreciate that...my all-time
favorite was the HP instrument built around the HP-1000 w/ the
three-pass paper-tape compiler...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Yep, had to have been there to appreciate that...my all-time
favorite was the HP instrument built around the HP-1000 w/ the
three-pass paper-tape compiler...

As a marketing mgr I knew way known to say, "HP, the standard of
mediocrity".

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:

It makes me really appreciate todays technology when I recall acoustic
couplers and paper tape on a teletype :-).

Yep, had to have been there to appreciate that...my all-time
favorite was the HP instrument built around the HP-1000 w/ the
three-pass paper-tape compiler...

Lockheed made a minicomputer named SUE - System User Engineered - shades of J
Cash :-). I think I mentioned this once before, but:

1. Type in your Fortran source and out onto paper tape (all I/O was paper tape
on the system we had).
2. Load the Fortran compiler
3. Load your source tape and punch out assembler source.
4. Load the assembler
5. Load your assembler source and punch out object code.
6. Load the link editor
7. Feed in your object code
8. Feed in at least one library tape, usually two or three and punch out an
executable.
9. Feed in the executable - if any bugs, start over.

All at 10 chars per second (110 baud) unless you used "ghost code" for the
output tapes. That reduced throughput to 5 chars per second but saved the
teletype ribbon and platen.

I'm sometimes amazed I still have most of my hair. But at the time
(1968-1970) it was just normal operation.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Hi;
I can't say I'm a devoted reader of this newsgroup, the last time I read

it was 1987.

I used to have as part of a small personal website a milk paint reicipe
that was so unexpectedly popular I used to get phone calls about it.

It used to be at vrx.net/richard/mailk-paint or something like that. That

url
is long dead but, I've put it and every other milk and natural paint and
finish recipe I could find on a newer version of my site.

Hopefully some of you might find it useful.

http://rs79.vrx.net/interests/house/paint/

Cheers,

Milk paint, and white wash are poor substitutes for good quality modern
paint. As one who hated to paint, I want a paint to last and give a durable
and effective finish. Modern latex paint is non toxic and kid safe so why
bother with a finish that needs to be renewed each year, and requires a
whole lot of work beyond opening a can and dipping a brush?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 14, 5:42 am, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:

Milk paint, and white wash are poor substitutes for good quality modern
paint. As one who hated to paint, I want a paint to last and give a durable
and effective finish. Modern latex paint is non toxic and kid safe so why
bother with a finish that needs to be renewed each year, and requires a
whole lot of work beyond opening a can and dipping a brush?

It's also easier to by ready to assemble furniture and say you "built
it". I've only used milk paint a few times, but I liked how it
looked.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 02:42:50 -0700, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:

[...]

Have you ever tried to strip milk paint? Sandpaper is about the only thing that works. (never
tried hot caustic, but I'm older and wiser now, and would be hard pressed to come up with a reason
to remove milk paint from an original piece these days).

In the mid-80's my Dad (rest his soul) moved two separate log cabins to a lot and combined them into
a large cabin. The stairway to the second floor still has the original paint (1820-1830). Yep,
worn in the middle of the treads but the sides of the treads and the original stairway door is in
excellent condition, and still a vivid blue. Not bad for 170 years or so of use.

No experience with outdoor use of milk paint, but as a kid, I remember 'helping' whitewash the large
stones framing the driveway every couple of years at my Grandmother's. Eventuality my Dad switched
to oil based paint there though. I don't think exterior latex existed then.

Regards,
Roy

TASTY WORLD RECIPES Tasty World Recipes Home Repair 0 April 17th 06 08:41 PM
Limewash and milk paint David UK diy 17 February 23rd 05 01:41 AM
These annoying recipes raden UK diy 13 December 29th 04 01:56 AM
Electropolishing recipes, version two Carl Ijames Metalworking 3 April 19th 04 01:25 AM