Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bloody Lidl

In Lidl yesterday, two tills open out of maybe six, with long queues at
both, we joined the end of the queue of one. After a long wait, we got
to begin plonking our purchases on the conveyor, at which the woman on
the till announced she was closing for a break, with the announcement
of an alternative till being opened. The entire queue had to move to a
fresh till, us expecting to at least be dealt with she refused and told
us to go join the back of the new queue.

One person in the queue was complaining that this had happened to them
already in this visit. How do they get away with treating customers
like this? If they know they are going to be closing a till, why don't
they advise people attempting to join a long queue and at least deal
with those already having queue up.

Instinct suggests, that the way for customers to defend against this
treatment, is to just abandon their intended purchases and walk out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 17:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

For me it is the time it takes for the operator to turn up at the till
to be opened more than anything else....but I'm not allowed to moan
about checkouts.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/09/2020 17:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote
Instinct suggests, that the way for customers to defend against this
treatment, is to just abandon their intended purchases and walk out.

To do this properly you want your quid back from the shopping trolley.

Tip the trolley over in the shop and empty the contents on the floor.

Then you leave the shop with the empty trolley and park it up to reclaim
your pound coin.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/09/2020 18:33, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 20/09/2020 17:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote
Instinct suggests, that the way for customers to defend against this
treatment, is to just abandon their intended purchases and walk out.

To do this properly you want your quid back from the shopping trolley.

Tip the trolley over in the shop and empty the contents on the floor.

Then you leave the shop with the empty trolley and park it up to reclaim
your pound coin.

Perhaps Reverend D i m could knock us up a few hundred "fake" £1
sized discs on his plazzy printer?....

Or borrow David Icke's.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 17:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

One person in the queue was complaining that this had happened to them
already in this visit. How do they get away with treating customers like
this?

It needs a change of management at that branch to make a difference! The
staff seem to be in constant (electronic) two way communication with
each other and it's only the managers who decide when a till closes.

If they know they are going to be closing a till, why don't they
advise people attempting to join a long queue and at least deal with
those already having queue up.

My local Lidl stores have red/green illuminated signs to say which tills
are open. There is an public address announcement to say till XYZ is
closing, the sign turns red BUT the till isn't closed until everyone
with goods on the belt is served.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

My local Lidl stores have red/green illuminated signs to say which tills
are open.* There is an public address announcement to say till XYZ is
closing, the sign turns red BUT the till isn't closed until everyone
with goods on the belt is served.

Same here, I have been relatively impressed that they open a till or two
to cope with a peak of customers then close them again within minutes,
presumably so the staff go back to shelf-stacking etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 18:05, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 17:58:43 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Instinct suggests, that the way for customers to defend against this
treatment, is to just abandon their intended purchases and walk out.

BTDTGTTS

PC World a few years ago. I was behind a guy whose card was giving
problems. Only one till open, so queue building up behind me. Manager
came over, totally couldn't sort card issue out and told cashier to open
next till ... of course the git at the back of the queue whizzed to the
front of that queue. As the manager was right in front of me, I
immediately pointed out it was a bad form. He shrugged his shoulders and
said that wasn't his problem. To which I said no, and putting the £100
worth of stuff I had back on the shelves wasn't mine either - and walked
out.

Meanwhile, at Tesco, I have been curated from a broken till to the head
of a new queue next door, so it's (a) entirely possible and (b) a
recognised phenomenon.

And I was told I gave Halfords a bad time....tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 18:17, ARW wrote:
On 20/09/2020 17:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote
Instinct suggests, that the way for customers to defend against this
treatment, is to just abandon their intended purchases and walk out.

To do this properly you want your quid back from the shopping trolley.

Tip the trolley over in the shop and empty the contents on the floor.

Then you leave the shop with the empty trolley and park it up to reclaim
your pound coin.

jeeezus I'm a biig softy comapaired to that !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 17:58:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

snip

Instinct suggests, that the way for customers to defend against this
treatment, is to just abandon their intended purchases and walk out.

I have done that a few times, though a basket and without moaning. Just
leaving everything on the belt or if still the queue in the basket on
the floor.

I know it really ****es them off to put everything back!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 17:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
In Lidl yesterday, two tills open out of maybe six, with long queues at
both, we joined the end of the queue of one. After a long wait, we got
to begin plonking our purchases on the conveyor, at which the woman on
the till announced she was closing for a break, with the announcement of
an alternative till being opened. The entire queue had to move to a
fresh till, us expecting to at least be dealt with she refused and told
us to go join the back of the new queue.

One person in the queue was complaining that this had happened to them
already in this visit. How do they get away with treating customers like
this? If they know they are going to be closing a till, why don't they
advise people attempting to join a long queue and at least deal with
those already having queue up.

Most supermarkets seem to manage to have a "till closing" notice they
stick on the end, and usually verbally tell anyone joining the queue as
well...

Instinct suggests, that the way for customers to defend against this
treatment, is to just abandon their intended purchases and walk out.

With a "shove that lot back on the shelf for me luv" comment on the way
out :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 17:58:43 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Instinct suggests, that the way for customers to defend against this
treatment, is to just abandon their intended purchases and walk out.

BTDTGTTS

PC World a few years ago. I was behind a guy whose card was giving
problems. Only one till open, so queue building up behind me. Manager
came over, totally couldn't sort card issue out and told cashier to open
next till ... of course the git at the back of the queue whizzed to the
front of that queue. As the manager was right in front of me, I
immediately pointed out it was a bad form. He shrugged his shoulders and
said that wasn't his problem. To which I said no, and putting the £100
worth of stuff I had back on the shelves wasn't mine either - and walked
out.

Except it wasn't the manager who'll have had to put the stuff back.
He'll have taken it out on an assistant, ordering them to put the stuff
back. The assistant will have gone home at the end of a busy shift
and taken it out on their husband or wife. Who will then have taken
it out on the dog. Making T i m even more upset

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , alan_m
wrote:
On 20/09/2020 17:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

One person in the queue was complaining that this had happened to them
already in this visit. How do they get away with treating customers
like this?

It needs a change of management at that branch to make a difference! The
staff seem to be in constant (electronic) two way communication with
each other and it's only the managers who decide when a till closes.

If they know they are going to be closing a till, why don't they
advise people attempting to join a long queue and at least deal with
those already having queue up.

My local Lidl stores have red/green illuminated signs to say which tills
are open. There is an public address announcement to say till XYZ is
closing, the sign turns red BUT the till isn't closed until everyone
with goods on the belt is served.

In my Lidl queues often go well behind the belt, sometimes five or six
people waiting to unload their items.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 19:52, michael adams wrote:

Except it wasn't the manager who'll have had to put the stuff back.

From what I've seen the managers do not sit on their arses just
managing. They will be shelf stacking and floor cleaning with the rest
of the staff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message ...
On 20/09/2020 17:58:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

snip

Instinct suggests, that the way for customers to defend against this treatment, is to
just abandon their intended purchases and walk out.

I have done that a few times, though a basket and without moaning. Just leaving
everything on the belt or if still the queue in the basket on the floor.

I know it really ****es them off to put everything back!

Especially as it's the assistants who decide company and store policy
rather than managers.

And it's not as if you're ever going to be going back there, to possibly
be served by similarly ****ed off assistants.

Good thinking !

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m presented the following explanation :
My local Lidl stores have red/green illuminated signs to say which tills are
open.

Same here!

There is an public address announcement to say till XYZ is closing,

Same here!

the sign turns red BUT the till isn't closed until everyone with goods on the
belt is served.

That was where it went wrong here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles expressed precisely :
In my Lidl queues often go well behind the belt, sometimes five or six
people waiting to unload their items.

I don't know what you meant by belt, but the queue we joined stretched
halfway back along the first, quite long block of shelving. Not quite
as bad as it sounds, because of distancing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 20 September 2020 17:58:49 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

What is hacking me off about Lidl is their new Plus card. One of the things I have liked (until now) has been the general lack of such things.

It feels as if they are saying they don't want our custom as they have thresholds we are never going to hit. So we end up subsidising others who do reach them. You can also predict slowing up at tills...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 19:56, charles wrote:

In my Lidl queues often go well behind the belt, sometimes five or six
people waiting to unload their items.

In my experience they don't close tills until a slack time[1]. If the
queues have got to 5 or six they tend to open additional tills. This is
obviously dependant on the number of staff on duty but all staff,
including managers, seem to be able to man the tills when needed.

[1] A slack time may be 10 minutes after other tills have been opened
and the queues reduced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 20/09/2020 19:52, michael adams wrote:

Except it wasn't the manager who'll have had to put the stuff back.

From what I've seen the managers do not sit on their arses just managing. They will be
shelf stacking and floor cleaning with the rest of the staff.

In PC World ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 18:05, Jethro_uk wrote:
Meanwhile, at Tesco, I have been curated from a broken till to the head
of a new queue next door, so it's (a) entirely possible and (b) a
recognised phenomenon.

Tesco can 'save' a transaction at one till and 'retrieve' it at another, which sounds like an obvious thing to do but I suppose a lot of systems can't do that.

It's like restaurant tills that can or can't split bills.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 20:15, polygonum_on_google wrote:

What is hacking me off about Lidl is their new Plus card. One of the things I have liked (until now) has been the general lack of such things.

+1

Its only going to slow down the service at the tills. When the German
supermarkets first opened it was a joy to have the goods thrown through
the tills at speed without money off coupons, vouchers for schools and
scanning loyalty cards slowing down the process.

IMO in the last few years Aldi/Lidl have starting to lose the plot with
things like introducing baskets meaning that people now pack bags at the
checkout. Before there was an enforced policy of putting everything back
in the trolley and then go to the shelf behind the checkout to pack
purchased items into bags.

It seems that they are falling into the trap of starting to do the
things the same as Tesco/Sainsbury which put off some people from
shopping at those retailers. It is the shoppers who abandoned the main
supermarkets that are responsible for the meteoritic rise of the
Lidl/Aldi empires in the UK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 20/09/2020 19:52, michael adams wrote:

Except it wasn't the manager who'll have had to put the stuff back.

From what I've seen the managers do not sit on their arses just
managing. They will be shelf stacking and floor cleaning with the rest
of the staff.

and even staffing a checkout when the shop is busy.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
charles expressed precisely :
In my Lidl queues often go well behind the belt, sometimes five or six
people waiting to unload their items.

I don't know what you meant by belt, but the queue we joined stretched
halfway back along the first, quite long block of shelving. Not quite
as bad as it sounds, because of distancing.

belt = the conveyor belt onto which you load your shopping

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 20 September 2020 20:53:56 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
[...]

I also miss a number of the lines of "foreign" products they used to stock. Like some tins of lentil soup/stew.

Our Lidl has those horrible plastic wheeled basket/trolleys. Which make some sense in, for example, John Lewis stores. Not in a supermarket. Painful to use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 20:53:49 +0100, alan_m wrote:

[...]

I use a basket, sling the shopping back in the basket as it comes through
and then load the rucsack on the shelf at the front.
At one time baskets weren't permitted through the 'til but that seems to
have changed a few years ago.
Still, since mid-March I've been shopping at Waitrose - it's just
/civilised/. The extra cost is mainly due to being unable to resist the
goodies but the total is still less than Morrisons then pub.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 21:25, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 18:17:11 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 20/09/2020 17:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote
[quoted text muted]

To do this properly you want your quid back from the shopping trolley.

all the supermarkets I've been to have suspended the trolley deposits.

You may find that local neighbourhood supermarkets where the need to
drive to the store is not essential for the majority of customers still
use the coin trolley system because so many make the short journey to
home (but seldom come back).

The other benefit for coin deposits for supermarkets with large car
parks is that customers return the trolleys to central trolley parks
rather than just discarding them in the nearest free parking space.

Lidl/Aldi stores being small with car parks to match don't need any
staff to collect trolleys discarded in the car park because they only
have one trolley park - next to the main entrance. Customers have to
return their trolley to this one collection point to free up their pound
coin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 22:38, PeterC wrote:

I use a basket, sling the shopping back in the basket as it comes through
and then load the rucsack on the shelf at the front.

But many people seem to try and put 2 trolley loads of goods into a
single basket, then load all onto the belt and ditch the basket before
going through the checkout. Perhaps if they took the wheels off the
baskets and they could only be held in the hand certain customers would
then choose the appropriate container for their shopping.

At one time baskets weren't permitted through the 'til but that seems
to have changed a few years ago.

The baskets now have transducers that set off the alarms if they are
taken through the exit doors. All baskets must stay within the store.

Still, since mid-March I've been shopping at Waitrose - it's just
/civilised/. The extra cost is mainly due to being unable to resist the
goodies but the total is still less than Morrisons then pub.

Don't Waitrose and the John Lewis group have some financial problems
from trying to appeal to their "civilised" niche market but are failing
to attract enough custom?

Ah, the Waitrose customers who shop at Lidl/Aldi but wouldn't be seen
dead with a Lidl/Aldi carrier bag so they bring their Waitrose bags in
which to pack their shopping

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 14:35:30 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google wrote:

Our Lidl has those horrible plastic wheeled basket/trolleys. Which make some sense in, for example, John Lewis stores. Not in a supermarket. Painful to use.

On the floor, a pain in the back to unload; on the conveyor, too deep - I'm
(was) 6' 4" and can just manage it. I usually lodge the edge of the trolley
over the edge of the conveyor, hold it hard in with my abs and it's easy
then - until it slips.
I found that the standard basket, piled high, is about right for loading
into panniers or rucsack; harder to judge with a trolley.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 20 September 2020 23:50:22 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

Don't Waitrose and the John Lewis group have some financial problems
from trying to appeal to their "civilised" niche market but are failing
to attract enough custom?

Ah, the Waitrose customers who shop at Lidl/Aldi but wouldn't be seen
dead with a Lidl/Aldi carrier bag so they bring their Waitrose bags in
which to pack their shopping

Used to often see Lidl/Aldi bags in Waitrose - when we went there.

Having moved, there is no Waitrose within about two hours drive - so we don't use them. Nor do Ocado deliver - at all, not just now they have switched to M&S.

Occasionally wish Ocado and Waitrose would do a postal delivery option.

Despite everything, have not resorted to Asda and Iceland.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
[...]

our Lidl has 2 trolley parks - one at the store entrance level and the
other at the car park level. (there is a lift and stairs connecting the
levels)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
[...]

I use my M&S "everlasting" bag in Lidl.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote :
Our Lidl has those horrible plastic wheeled basket/trolleys. Which make some
sense in, for example, John Lewis stores. Not in a supermarket. Painful to
use.

That is what we usually manage with, at other times we might take one
of the shallow metal trolleys. We don't do a full shop anywhere, rather
we go there for certain items - so the plastic wheeled one is usually
big enough for those. Exceptionally, due to kitchen rolls, toilet rolls
and an SDS drill, it was over-spilling on Saturday.

I have now written a complaint to Lidl's customer service, with a
warning that if it should happen again, I will abandon my shopping and
walk out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC brought next idea :
On the floor, a pain in the back to unload; on the conveyor, too deep - I'm
(was) 6' 4" and can just manage it. I usually lodge the edge of the trolley
over the edge of the conveyor, hold it hard in with my abs and it's easy
then - until it slips.

I just lift and pour it straight onto the conveyor, after taking out
the more delicate items.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message

Our Lidl has those horrible plastic wheeled basket/trolleys. Which make some sense in,

Sorry have to disagree with you there. Baskets where the user has to
bend or stoop down to floor level to pick things up, have never made
ergonomic sense let alone at the start of the 21st century.

The only only place they ever make sense is in their volume when stacked
as compared with conventional trolleys - invented all of 83 years ago
in the US.

Basically the Lidl scum management are more than happy to give tens of
thousands of customers potential chronic backache in years to come *(those
who are of an age that they can still reach down that far) simply so as to
gain a bit more floor area,

I don't use that term lightly; but whoever was responsible for that decision
really are the scum of the earth. No, nobody has to shop there its true.
but they're lured in by the cheap prices.

michael adams

*How many customers keep a straight back and bend their legs when emptying
those baskets I wonder ? In the absence of signs is there any compo potential
there ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
"michael adams" Wrote in message:

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message

Our Lidl has those horrible plastic wheeled basket/trolleys. Which make some sense
in,

Sorry have to disagree with you there.

Splutter!

MADams disagrees?!?

Back you go, I knew it could never last.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jimk
wrote:
charles Wrote in message:
In article , alan_m
wrote:
[...]

2nd place then, do you have a newish German car in the car park too?

no, a 5yo Japanese one - which might get replaced with a chinese one.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Several large Lidl close enough to here. I use the newest one which has
self service checkouts. For some odd reason many prefer to queue up than
used them which suits me perfectly. But the others are pretty good at
telling you when a checkout is about to close. Queues at checkouts is the
price you pay for the good prices.

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Lidl by Lidl The Medway Handyman UK diy 5 January 8th 09 04:25 PM
Bloody Ebay Dan Caster Metalworking 6 July 24th 04 02:33 PM
bloody Russian/Chinese Gangsters Michael Mcneil UK diy 5 May 18th 04 12:52 AM
A pestilence upon my bloody boiler! (help please) JB UK diy 14 December 1st 03 09:47 PM
Bloody cap screws... Robin S. Metalworking 21 November 21st 03 11:41 PM