Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Halfords rant

On 16/09/2020 14:51, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 12:59:49 +0100, "Jim GM4 DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 16/09/2020 12:56, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

Maybe he's bored and craves any sort of entertainment?

Cheers, T i m

that will be it ...

you lot are no fun ...

Well, as it happens Jim, I'm pretty sure 'we' aren't here for your
entertainment.

Cheers, T i m

well you should be.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 12:23:26 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

https://www.halfords.com/customer-services/contact-us/

I am sure you can have hours of endless fun...

Dave
wouldn't waste my time

So you'd rather come in here and complain, wasting yours and everyone
else's time, with (virtually) zero chance of anyone who can do anything
about it 'hearing' it than post the exact same rant in the Halfords'
feedback thing with (perhaps) someone who cares 'hearing' about it?

you never let off steam then ? ....

I would suggest that if people do, it shouldn't be with innocent
cashiers in Halfords (or anywhere).[1]

The most I've ever done with any shop staff (especially those working
for a big chain) is stand my ground, asking (not demanding) to see a
manager / supervisor if the person I was dealing with didn't have the
authority to make a decision themselves. They are often happy to do so
as it removes the pressure / responsibility from themselves. I
certainly wouldn't have a rant at them for something like offering me
a Store Card and have *never* had any resistance to me politely
declining if they do.

It's called respect (for them and yourself) Jim.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Even if say trying to buy some shoes and the assistant goes off to
get some and doesn't come back quickly ... the chances are they have
been sidetracked and ranting at them if / when they finally return
isn't going to make it better. Staying calm and being a bit cheeky at
the till *might* get you a bit of extra discount though. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 12:21, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I do have some sympathy though, these days you seem to have to provide so
much info when buying anything without any kind of idea what is going to
happen to it. I will say this though, under current regulations, you have to
supply a way to the shop to contact you in case track and trace asks who was
in the store at that time.

I don't think it is that. These lists of contacts can only be kept for a very limited time, a couple of weeks if I remember correctly. What these stores are doing is building up a list of email addresses very cheaply.

What has annoyed me more in recent months is the number of retailers which have machines which cannot produce a printed receipt - they say that they can only email one, which requires one to give them an email address which works. I do like to keep track of my expenditure so spending even small amounts without a receipt goes very much against the grain with me.

--
Clive Page

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:

[Snip]

...but
just because they think they have the right to shout at someone on the
checkout for any trivial reason.

many years ago, in M&S Oxford street, just before Chrismas, one checkout
operator was muttering under her breath, "I must not lose my temper".
Luckily a supervisor notice and suggested she take a break.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 15:46:35 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:

[Snip]

...but
just because they think they have the right to shout at someone on the
checkout for any trivial reason.

many years ago, in M&S Oxford street, just before Chrismas, one checkout
operator was muttering under her breath, "I must not lose my temper".

Oh, I bet that has to be one of the most stressful times in the
rattail trade (wouldn't know as we don't get involved in Xmyth). ;-)

Luckily a supervisor notice and suggested she take a break.

Observant supervisor, doing what they should.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 12:21, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

I do have some sympathy though, these days you seem to have to provide so
much info when buying anything without any kind of idea what is going to
happen to it. I will say this though, under current regulations, you have to
supply a way to the shop to contact you in case track and trace asks who was
in the store at that time.

Only pubs and restaurants. Not normal retailers.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 07:50, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/09/2020 07:29, David Wade wrote:
On 15/09/2020 16:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
Goes to buy brake cable for bike flung it on counter boy scans it I
stick my card on the machine....he asks do you have an email address
...I say no ...he asks something else...I say no anyway .....I lift
my card off machine and go to lift cable...he shouts nastily YOU
HAVEN'T PAID YET....to which I say well if you weren't farting about
asking stupid questions the payment would have gone through ten
seconds ago.......

If he didn't ask the stupid questions he would be sacked, i bet they
check with mystery shoppers...
... so why take it out on some underpaid minion because some idiot in
control implements policies you don't like...

because I don't like their policies ......and if another check out
person asks me if I have a stupid netctar card again I will
scream......why is it only Sainsbury that does that ? ....

You might forget to present it in time and miss out on your 0.5%
discount. Most shops don't use Nectar. It's mainly Sainsbury's, and one
or two other places.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 11:45, michael adams wrote:
"bert" wrote in message ...

But the self checkouts insist on talking to you, and saying Goodbye in the most
irritating voice imaginable.

That's clearly a matter of taste. Pre-covid I often used to say "goodbye"
back to them, using exactly the same inflection. But there seems rather
less point nowadays, when wearing a mask in an otherwise empty supermarket
at 7.00 a.m.

The tone of the "goodbye" is altered depending on how long you have
spent checking out your one item. If too long it is the equivalent of
F*** **F in much the same way as "have a nice day" can sound.

Many decades go I went to Amsterdam entered The Beanery installation at
the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam. After 30 seconds or so I was
apologising to various inanimate objects for bumping into them. It
really was an immersive experience.

https://lovehateandwhatiate.com/blog...lz-the-beanery

Posted to uk.d-i-y

address which works.* I do like to keep track of my expenditure so
spending even small amounts without a receipt goes very much against the
grain with me.

too right....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 17:21, Max Demian wrote:
On 16/09/2020 12:21, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

I do have some sympathy though, these days you seem to have to provide so
much info when buying anything without any kind of idea what is going to
happen to it. I will say this though, under current regulations, you
have to
supply a way to the shop to contact you in case track and trace asks
who was
in the store at that time.

Only pubs and restaurants. Not normal retailers.

Gaff is talking ****e as usual .... he is well named
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/09/2020 17:21, Max Demian wrote:

Only pubs and restaurants. Not normal retailers.

ATM......

Might be different next week.

And when was Halford's ever a normal retailer?

Interesting how some pubs/restaurants/hotels/cafes/offices want more
info than others.

Some are OK with my first name and mobile number others want a surname
and mobile phone number and others want a post code to go with the name
and number.

Many of the details are just written on sheets of A4 paper left on the
bar or on a table as you enter and available for anyone to read, others
actually use separate pieces of paper to post into a box to keep them
from viewing eyes.

The better ones have a member of staff using a clip board to take your
details (either when you enter or after you are seated).

I do believe that it will soon be a requirement to produce ID before you
can enter these premises.

Thin edge of the wedge.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave
G4UGM

because I don't like their policies ......
*Well shop somewhere else then. Halfords don't hold a monopoly on brake
cables which are a pretty standard item assuming a customer is capable
of cutting them to length themselves.* Brake cables from some/most
suppliers
even have different shaped nipples at each end to suit different levers.
There are probably loads on eBay assuming you have a letter box of some
description.

my 2m long ebay £1.94 barrel ended Jagwire one hadn't arrived and I was
going to the trailer park ......

*It's hardly the lowly paid assistants fault if he finds himself
having to
deal with the type of customer who doesn't seem to realise they can buy
brake cables in loads of places is it ?* Day in and day out. What you
don't

you are talking ****e it was a distress purchase or I wouldn't have been
there.....

seem to realise is that is people like you who keep outfits like
Halfords
in business in the first place.

not me they are over priced and they don't hold much stock any longer
but they can get you it...feck that I can do the same off ebay .....

*If I had a* sentimental attachment to local bike shops, all
currently being
run single handedly by the 60 year old grandsons of their founders
back in
190whenever, now all facing retirement and hefty rate increases,
which I don't.
I'd say its people like you who are responsible for so many LBS's
going out
business in the first place, as nobody wants to take them on.

my local bike shop is Dooleys in Paisley and is for those lycrra clad
sporty types who spend fortunes on their carbon fibre speed machines and
are not interested in a £1.95 purchase for an raleigh ikea 20 inch
bike......been ****ed about with in there years ago and wouldn't go back
at any cost

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/retail...cycles-paisley

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 19:22:17 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

my 2m long ebay 1.94 barrel ended Jagwire one hadn't arrived and I was
going to the trailer park ......

Given your dislike of 'foreign / ISO values like Hz and modern stuff
Jim, shouldn't that have been 'my 78.7402" long ebay 1 18s 9d
barrel ended Jagwire'?

snip

my local bike shop is Dooleys in Paisley and is for those lycrra clad
sporty types who spend fortunes on their carbon fibre speed machines and
are not interested in a 1.95 purchase for an raleigh ikea 20 inch
bike......

So this is an Ikea branded Raleigh Shopper / Twenty / Stowaway?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message ...

But the self checkouts insist on talking to you, and saying Goodbye in the most
irritating voice imaginable.

That's clearly a matter of taste. Pre-covid I often used to say "goodbye"
back to them, using exactly the same inflection. But there seems rather
less point nowadays, when wearing a mask in an otherwise empty supermarket
at 7.00 a.m.

The tone of the "goodbye" is altered depending on how long you have spent checking out
your one item. If too long it is the equivalent of F*** **F in much the same way as
"have a nice day" can sound.

Well obviously I'm always good boy, as she clearly likes me.

As it happens I don't believe that for one minute so I'm definitely not going
to hang around on purpose just to check.

What I did find a bit disturbing was when one chain changed the voice to a man
which I interpreted subliminally as being ordered about, which maybe suits some
women shoppers but not me.

Many decades go I went to Amsterdam entered The Beanery installation at the Stedelijk
Museum Amsterdam. After 30 seconds or so I was apologising to various inanimate
objects for bumping into them. It really was an immersive experience.

https://lovehateandwhatiate.com/blog...lz-the-beanery

Funnily enough theres a theory that the more literally lifelike they appear
clock faces aside, the more off putting that are.

Whereas a robot like Asimo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASIMO

can be accepted on "his" or "her" own terms

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

For some reason I'm not seeing "Jim GM4DHJ ..." s post

my 2m long ebay 1.94 barrel ended Jagwire one hadn't arrived
and I was going to the trailer park ......

So without being argumantative for its own sake, as if, your
actual beef is with whoever is responsible for not deleivering
the cable on time.

my local bike shop is Dooleys in Paisley and is for those lycrra clad
sporty types who spend fortunes on their carbon fibre speed machines and
are not interested in a 1.95 purchase for an raleigh ikea 20 inch
bike......

Have you actually asked them ?

How do you think all the old biddies who live in your area manage
when they need things doing on their bikes ?

Obviously they'll try and sell overpriced overspecced bikes to idiots
with more money than sense if given half a chance. Wouldn't you ?
But that doesn't mean they'll turn away business from customers
who aren't out to prove they have more money than they do as
mere shop assistants.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 21:03, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 19:22:17 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

my 2m long ebay £1.94 barrel ended Jagwire one hadn't arrived and I was
going to the trailer park ......

Given your dislike of 'foreign / ISO values like Hz and modern stuff
Jim, shouldn't that have been 'my 78.7402" long ebay £1 18s 9½d
barrel ended Jagwire'?

snip

my local bike shop is Dooleys in Paisley and is for those lycrra clad
sporty types who spend fortunes on their carbon fibre speed machines and
are not interested in a £1.95 purchase for an raleigh ikea 20 inch
bike......

So this is an Ikea branded Raleigh Shopper / Twenty / Stowaway?

Cheers, T i m

yes one xmas instead of getting a hi fi or something they wanted ieeka
gave their staff bikes....the grateful staff mostly sold them off for
peanuts I bought three of them ....keep two at the trailer
park.......most people take the ieeka sticker off them but I didn't it
gives people a laugh and when they ask about them is gives me a
operchansity to slag off their kitchens .....ieeka never sold them to
the public but used some as props in the shop...I hate ieeka having
built one of there crappy kitchens 15 years ago then they changed the
design and you cant get cabinet fronts etc any longer.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2020 00:50, michael adams wrote:
[...]

well the problem was for years my father swore by Dooleys when they were
under the railway arches in Moss street for our Raleigh Trent
tourists....I had one with the chrome tail fin on the chain cover...he
was friendly with old Mr Dooley but in recent years sons took over and
it became a fancy place for all the types I mentioned and they recently
moved to a fancy shop....I stupidly was looking for a rear rack for some
old clunky bike and they tried to take the **** out of me probably
because those thousand pound bikes don't use rear racks...anyway never
went back...**** them .....I have a Dahon 20 inch 7 speed a Raleigh
oakwood....20 inch Raleigh anniversary model and the ieeka bikes and an
electric scooter ...had loads of bikes over they years and it is how I
keep fit and I work on them all myself so I know a thing or two about
them and don't deserve being slagged off by shops or prats on
here...thanks.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 10:49:57 AM UTC+1, bert wrote:
In article , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
On 16/09/2020 08:42, michael adams wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

So use the self service checkouts then. That's what they're there
for.
The few assistants that remain are encouraged to interact with customers
precisely because its assumed that those customers are either too confused
to be able to use the machines or are desirous of human contact.
Given you seem to spend so much of your time going out of your way
to make life difficult for yourself, its maybe no surprise that you have
such anger issues
michael adams

just because there are so many things to get angry about these
days.....even the sainsbury petrol station punters without pay at pump
asks you if you have a nectar card...if it wasn't for the fact the
mustang refuses to fill at tesco I wouldn't go there....I love self
checkouts and petrol stations because you don't have to interact with
people.....and how are you today?....fecking awful was my reply...tee
hee...they don't seen to want to continue the converstion after that .....

But the self checkouts insist on talking to you, and saying Goodbye in
the most irritating voice imaginable.
--
bert

I use the volume control to mute the sound on the touch screen. Tesco's self checkouts are particularly irritating, especially when scanning fruit and veg.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 08:42:46 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

I stupidly was looking for a rear rack for some
old clunky bike and they tried to take the **** out of me probably
because those thousand pound bikes don't use rear racks...

Were you your normal self by any chance?

snip

I have a Dahon 20 inch 7 speed

Nice.

a Raleigh
oakwood....20 inch Raleigh anniversary model

So is that one thing or two?

and the ieeka bikes

What are they?

and an
electric scooter ..

What OOI? I quite like the look of the Reid offerings and have seen
quite a few about:

https://www.reidbikes.com/product-ca.../escooters-uk/

had loads of bikes over they years and it is how I
keep fit

Not been cycling for a while because of the Mrs arthritis and the dog
walking and do miss it. I did go out a while back on a Pashley Pronto
(same as the later Mailstar Postman's bike, in England anyway) I'd
rebuilt and that was interesting.

and I work on them all myself so I know a thing or two about
them

Other than when you should or shouldn't 'let off steam' at shop staff?

and don't deserve being slagged off by shops

Wasn't the writing on the wall though? If the shop changed it's
profile (as many have to be able to stay in business), but you still
went there, knowing you were no longer their typical customer to ask
for something you probably had a good idea they would no longer stock?

or prats on
here...thanks.....

It is frustrating when you want to talk about something important (to
us all) and people think it's funny eh Jim?

So, did you get the rack after all? If not I have a perfectly good
chrome steel one that was on a Raleigh Shopper (20") you can have.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 08:29:37 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

So this is an Ikea branded Raleigh Shopper / Twenty / Stowaway?

yes one xmas instead of getting a hi fi or something they wanted ieeka
gave their staff bikes....the grateful staff mostly sold them off for
peanuts

Lovely.

I bought three of them ....

Result for you then.

keep two at the trailer
park.......

So are they Raleigh folders, the 20" 'Shopper'?

most people take the ieeka sticker off them but I didn't it
gives people a laugh and when they ask about them is gives me a
operchansity to slag off their kitchens .....

I bet you are a real hoot to meet up with ...

ieeka never sold them to
the public but used some as props in the shop...

Ok.

i hate ieeka having
built one of there crappy kitchens 15 years ago then they changed the
design and you cant get cabinet fronts etc any longer.....

Hardly surprising though eh?

I fitted a Schreiber kitchen myself probably 20 years ago and it's all
still fine. I could do with a new door (the trim got melted when
someone left the oven door ajar) but wouldn't assume they could still
supply one.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 07:50:57 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 16/09/2020 07:29, David Wade wrote:
On 15/09/2020 16:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
Goes to buy brake cable for bike flung it on counter boy scans it I
stick my card on the machine....he asks do you have an email address
...I say no ...he asks something else...I say no anyway .....I lift my
card off machine and go to lift cable...he shouts nastily YOU HAVEN'T
PAID YET....to which I say well if you weren't farting about asking
stupid questions the payment would have gone through ten seconds
ago.......

If he didn't ask the stupid questions he would be sacked, i bet they
check with mystery shoppers...
... so why take it out on some underpaid minion because some idiot in
control implements policies you don't like...

Dave G4UGM

because I don't like their policies ......and if another check out
person asks me if I have a stupid netctar card again I will
scream......why is it only Sainsbury that does that ? ....

Give them someone elses phone number
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2020 10:51, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 08:42:46 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

I stupidly was looking for a rear rack for some
old clunky bike and they tried to take the **** out of me probably
because those thousand pound bikes don't use rear racks...

Were you your normal self by any chance?

snip

I have a Dahon 20 inch 7 speed

Nice.

a Raleigh
oakwood....20 inch Raleigh anniversary model

So is that one thing or two?

no the oakwood has 28 inch wheels......

and the ieeka bikes

What are they?

and an
electric scooter ..

What OOI? I quite like the look of the Reid offerings and have seen
quite a few about:

erider model 15 coming up two years old....should only do 22Kph but it
does 38Kph....naughty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j80LS3IOd9s

[...]

that bloke wasn't being funny he was nasty big difference......

So, did you get the rack after all? If not I have a perfectly good
chrome steel one that was on a Raleigh Shopper (20") you can have.

yes got plenty of racks and boxes.but thanks anyway...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

*...

just because there are so many things to get angry about these
days.....even the sainsbury petrol station punters without pay at
pump asks you if you have a nectar card...if it wasn't for the fact
the mustang refuses to fill at tesco I wouldn't go there....I love
self checkouts and petrol stations because you don't have to interact
with people.....and how are you today?....fecking awful was my
reply...tee hee...they don't seen to want to continue the converstion
after that .....

But the self checkouts insist on talking to you, and saying Goodbye in
the most irritating voice imaginable.

yes but you can ignore that

WHAT YOU CAN'T IGNORE ID THE POUNDLAND MACHINES GOING HO HO HO AT XMAS
OR PRETENDING TO BE ELVIS....calm down now jim....tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2020 11:35, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 17/09/2020 10:51, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 08:42:46 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

[...]

that's the wee ieeka bike fixed...nice to have a back brake that works
again......stupid design with the outer cable split into two and it has
nothing to do with the folding mechanism ...why do they do that lets all
the crap in???

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 08:42:46 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

I stupidly was looking for a rear rack for some
old clunky bike and they tried to take the **** out of me probably
because those thousand pound bikes don't use rear racks...

Were you your normal self by any chance?

snip

I have a Dahon 20 inch 7 speed

Nice.

a Raleigh
oakwood....20 inch Raleigh anniversary model

So is that one thing or two?

and the ieeka bikes

All those bikes yet never thought to keep the odd one or
two brake and gear cables handy just in case.

In a Wilko near you, if you have Wilkos in Scotland.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-48...able/p/0431576

Then the eBay one gets lost in the post.

So he tried Halfords !

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2020 12:00, michael adams wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 08:42:46 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

I stupidly was looking for a rear rack for some
old clunky bike and they tried to take the **** out of me probably
because those thousand pound bikes don't use rear racks...

Were you your normal self by any chance?

snip

I have a Dahon 20 inch 7 speed

Nice.

a Raleigh
oakwood....20 inch Raleigh anniversary model

So is that one thing or two?

and the ieeka bikes

All those bikes yet never thought to keep the odd one or
two brake and gear cables handy just in case.

nope.....last cable I had to do was on an American huffy years ago.....

In a Wilko near you, if you have Wilkos in Scotland.

Clydebank and Ayr...too far away .....

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-48...able/p/0431576

Then the eBay one gets lost in the post.

So he tried Halfords !

michael adams

and your problem is caller ?...I know you're just obnoxious...at least
Tim has a real point at times....you don't.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 11:35:08 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

a Raleigh
oakwood....20 inch Raleigh anniversary model

So is that one thing or two?

no the oakwood has 28 inch wheels......

Is that what we might now refer to as a '29er'?

snip
What OOI? I quite like the look of the Reid offerings and have seen
quite a few about:

erider model 15 coming up two years old....

Ok.

should only do 22Kph but it
does 38Kph....naughty

Sorry, do you ride it in Europe Jim, we use mph over here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j80LS3IOd9s

Ah, an electrically assisted bicycle with a step through frame.

"Oxfords not brogues'. ;-)

snip

It is frustrating when you want to talk about something important (to
us all) and people think it's funny eh Jim?

that bloke wasn't being funny he was nasty big difference......

I guess it depends on the people and the subject.

So, did you get the rack after all? If not I have a perfectly good
chrome steel one that was on a Raleigh Shopper (20") you can have.

yes got plenty of racks and boxes.but thanks anyway...

Np.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

should only do 22Kph but it
does 38Kph....naughty

Sorry, do you ride it in Europe Jim, we use mph over here?

it comes with a Kph speedo only.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 12:23, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/09/2020 12:19, soup wrote:
On 16/09/2020 07:47, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/09/2020 07:32, David Wade wrote:
On 15/09/2020 16:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
Goes to buy brake cable for bike flung it on counter boy scans it I
stick my card on the machine....he asks do you have an email
address ...I say no ...he asks something else...I say no anyway
.....I lift my card off machine and go to lift cable...he shouts
nastily YOU HAVEN'T PAID YET....to which I say well if you weren't
farting about asking stupid questions the payment would have gone
through ten seconds ago.......

so instead of abusing the staff, and filling up UseNet why not send
your grumble in he-

https://www.halfords.com/customer-services/contact-us/

I am sure you can have hours of endless fun...

Dave
wouldn't waste my time

So you'd rather come in here and complain, wasting yours and everyone
else's time, with (virtually) zero chance of anyone who can do
anything about it 'hearing' it than post the exact same rant in the
Halfords' feedback thing with (perhaps) someone who cares 'hearing'
about it?

you never let off steam then ? ....

'course I do but I don't vent at my 'friends' and expect a result.
I would rather rant at someone who is responsible (not the shop drone)
or can do something. Hence the suggestion (by another that I agreed
with) to use Halfords' feedback thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 15:03:04 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

should only do 22Kph but it
does 38Kph....naughty

Sorry, do you ride it in Europe Jim, we use mph over here?

it comes with a Kph speedo only.....

I note many of the later / better electric scooters (rather than
electrically assisted cycles) come with bluetooth interfaces and you
(well, not you obviously ...) can set those sorts of things with your
smartphone.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 12:19, soup wrote:
[...]

Jim gets very irrational when hes had a drink.

--
M0TEY // STC // #SaveOurNHS

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 16/09/2020 12:19, soup wrote:
[...]

Apart from all those times that youve been photographed drinking, Jim.
Thanks, Jim.

--
M0TEY // STC // #SaveOurNHS

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 16/09/2020 12:19, soup wrote:
[...]

you mean when I posted my photographs of me drinking shandy on a sail in
summer ? ,,,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2020 13:07, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 17/09/2020 12:00, michael adams wrote:

In a Wilko near you, if you have Wilkos in Scotland.

Clydebank and Ayr...too far away .....

Erm there is also one in Livvy.
Isn't that were you live or am I thinking of someone else ?

https://stores.wilko.com/gb/livingston/112-the-centre

Or you could go into Edinburgh (bit of a hike though), to Edinburgh
Bicycle cooperative they do their fair share of multi thousand pound
carbon jobs but depending on who you talk to (most of them ,like any
'enterprise you will meet snooty ones)you get someone who is
knowledgeable and doesn't look down their nose at you.

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
On 17/09/2020 13:07, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 17/09/2020 12:00, michael adams wrote:

In a Wilko near you, if you have Wilkos in Scotland.

Clydebank and Ayr...too far away .....

( For some unaccountable reason I'm missing some of Jims's posts)

In addition to brake and gear cables and brake blocks for which spares
also come in handy, Walk do pick n'mix bags of nut(s) screws washers
and bolts of which they do quite a good selection so that if you ever
happen to be passing one they can be worth a visit on that account
alone,

Here's a comment you posted earlier

that's the wee ieeka bike fixed...nice to have a back brake that works
again......stupid design with the outer cable split into two and it has
nothing to do with the folding mechanism ...why do they do that lets all
the crap in???

That was also all the fashion in the 50's and 60's, The outer went to
a braze-on cup under the front end of the crossbar then it was bare wire
to another braze on cup at the rear end of the crossbar. For people who
didn't have frames with braze-ons (there were arguments as to whether this
weakened the frame ) Campagnolo brought out distinctive sets of clips on
shaped bands with the Globe trademark and their name on the top surface.
Cheapo plain banded clips soon emerged at 1/5 the price. Presumably it was
to save the weight of 2 ft of outer cable.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

"soup" wrote in message
[...]

Er no. Running the brake cable inside an outer requires clips to
keep it in place. If only the inner is run, then this is in tension
and so doesn't require clips to keep it in place. Simples.

michael adams

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 12:19, soup wrote:
[...]

Sure, shandy, Jim. Thanks, Jim.