Old July 29th 20, 01:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stick welding revelation

On 29/07/2020 02:06:31, John Rumm wrote:

snip

I wanted to weld up some bits of rebar outside, and the wind was quite
strong. So, ideal time to try it in MMA mode...* and wow what a
difference! You can strike an arc with ease, it runs quiet and smooth
with a really nice stable DC arc, and makes it almost easy to get pretty
decent results with relatively little skill or practice. No buzzing,
spluttering, or sticking either.

Of course gasless wire would have done the trick too.

Old July 29th 20, 02:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2020 13:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm presented the following explanation :
With hindsight, I bought it as a solution looking for a problem - I
just thought it would be a handy thing to have. I remember telling a
work mate who I knew was into welding, and his only question was
"Why?" - the significance of the question dawned on me over the next
few years, when as each problem presented, the solution turned out to
not be that good.

I bought my transformer stick welder in the mid-80's second hand,
complete with a pile of new angle iron. I learned stick welding working
on a contract in Italy and fancied keeping my hand in. I had in mind to
make lots of heavy duty shelves for my new garage. I ended up with two
at each side, near the car door and they are still there, but over full
now. It has come in useful many times since then for lots of jobs.

Since then, I bought a transformer MIG welder, but that has been much
less useful or used.

Best welding accessory I bought was a auto-dimming welding helmet.

Yup :-)

(I am tempted to get one of the R-Tech XL ones - they have a bigger
window so you get a better view of what you are doing)

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 29th 20, 02:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2020 13:16, Fredxx wrote:
On 29/07/2020 02:06:31, John Rumm wrote:

snip

I wanted to weld up some bits of rebar outside, and the wind was quite
strong. So, ideal time to try it in MMA mode...* and wow what a
difference! You can strike an arc with ease, it runs quiet and smooth
with a really nice stable DC arc, and makes it almost easy to get
pretty decent results with relatively little skill or practice. No
buzzing, spluttering, or sticking either.

Of course gasless wire would have done the trick too.

Indeed, but I have not got any of that in stock[1], but still have a
third of a 5kg box of 2.5mm electrodes left (which I bought them from
CPC *years* ago :-)

[1] and the slight faff or remembering to swap the polarity.

(It was telling that I got through about 8 rods in ten to fifteen mins
with the other welder that would have been over an hours work!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 29th 20, 03:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2020 13:16, Fredxx wrote:
On 29/07/2020 02:06:31, John Rumm wrote:

snip

I wanted to weld up some bits of rebar outside, and the wind was quite
strong. So, ideal time to try it in MMA mode...* and wow what a
difference! You can strike an arc with ease, it runs quiet and smooth
with a really nice stable DC arc, and makes it almost easy to get
pretty decent results with relatively little skill or practice. No
buzzing, spluttering, or sticking either.

Of course gasless wire would have done the trick too.

IME gasless wire is a bit sensitive to wind too. Another +1 for even the
cheap lidl stick inverter welder being quite easy to use (although I
find its limit to be 2mm sticks).
Old July 29th 20, 03:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2020 14:33:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/07/2020 13:16, Fredxx wrote:
On 29/07/2020 02:06:31, John Rumm wrote:

snip

I wanted to weld up some bits of rebar outside, and the wind was
quite strong. So, ideal time to try it in MMA mode...* and wow what a
difference! You can strike an arc with ease, it runs quiet and smooth
with a really nice stable DC arc, and makes it almost easy to get
pretty decent results with relatively little skill or practice. No
buzzing, spluttering, or sticking either.

Of course gasless wire would have done the trick too.

Indeed, but I have not got any of that in stock[1], but still have a
third of a 5kg box of 2.5mm electrodes left (which I bought them from
CPC *years* ago :-)

[1] and the slight faff or remembering to swap the polarity.

I have welded satisfactorily when not swapping the electrodes. There was
a lot more platter though.

(It was telling that I got through about 8 rods in ten to fifteen mins
with the other welder that would have been over an hours work!)

I have a very old MIG welder and was thinking of making the jump to
TIG[1] with AC/DC provision to weld aluminium. Some machines can do all
three MMA/MIG/TIG.

[1] I would obviously need a bottle of pure argon.

Old July 29th 20, 05:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2020 15:38, newshound wrote:
On 29/07/2020 11:25, wrote:

I did something similar a few months ago and wish I'd done it much
earlier. I'd had a large'ish transformer-based MIG welder for a looong
time, it worked well-enough but I used it so rarely that my welds were
always a bit embarrassing, which meant I used it less. I took the
plunge and bought a 180 inverter MIG/MMA from R-Tech and using it is a
totally different experience to using the old welder, I also switched
from using CO2 pub gas to an Argon mix. Welding is so much easier and
gives excellent quality, plus the box is much smaller and lighter.
There are cheaper units out there but R-Tech were helpful on the phone
and have a long'ish warranty. They aren't cheap, but I sold the old
welder so the upgrade cost was affordable and well worthwhile. I
thoroughly recommend R-Tech and the 180 MIG welder.

And that is fine on 240V? I have a SIP 240v MIG that feels underpowered,
as does the cheap Lidl MMA inverter.

Yes, I'm running it on a 13A plug and welding up to 3mm MS. The
manufacturer says a 16A plug will be needed to use the highest settings
but I'll deal with that when I need to.
It looks like JR and I bought the same model welder so maybe he can
report on using it with thicker steel.
The only thing I don't like is the display of current, which works
(apparently) when welding ... but who looks at a display when they're
welding?

And if I could do a trade I would actually be reducing my tool count!

Old July 29th 20, 07:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2020 15:32, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

I think it also depends a bit on the wire chosen - some are more fussy
than others.

(It was telling that I got through about 8 rods in ten to fifteen mins
with the other welder that would have been over an hours work!)

I have a very old MIG welder and was thinking of making the jump to
TIG[1] with AC/DC provision to weld aluminium. Some machines can do all
three MMA/MIG/TIG.

I looked at a few, but most of the three in ones I looked at seemed to
only do DC tig. In the end I thought there was a danger of ending up
with a jack of all trades master of none result, and decided to get a
stand-alone setup later.

(in fact you can do "austere" lift start DC tig with my machine, but it
obviously lacks the finesse that you get with a "real" tig machine)

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 29th 20, 07:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I have installed a blue commando style socket for it in the workshop,
but so far have not found anything that needed more than the 13A supply.

(note that until the other day, it was still loaded with 0.6mm wire
which was more suited to daughter's project using lots of 0.8mm steel -
so it was not being taxed. I was using 2.5mm rods, and that was fine on
a plug. I did not try my 4mm rods)

It looks like JR and I bought the same model welder so maybe he can
report on using it with thicker steel.

Will do, when I have something heavier to weld.

The only thing I don't like is the display of current, which works
(apparently) when welding ... but who looks at a display when they're
welding?

:-) yup, you need to set your camera to film it!

(a sample and hold would be handy)

And if I could do a trade I would actually be reducing my tool count!

Yeah, I can see this growing... AC/DC tig, plasma cutter, etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |
Old July 29th 20, 08:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Maybe try these electrodes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j61ezBX-EyA
They're a bit beyond my welders though.