Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Stick welding revelation

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 12:26:04 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 31/07/2020 10:43, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 09:03:54 +0100, Muddymike
wrote:

snip

Ive always thought stick welding was a black art.

Not black art but one of those things where 1) it's much easier using
the right gear 2) in the right position 3) on the right job (to start
with especially) and 4) ideally with a mentor to give you tips re the
approach and what is right (setup wise, rather than what should right.
The books / chart says 60A but in fact on that particular setup you
actually *need* 75A etc).

I have found being able to get into a comfortable position helps greatly
- even simple things like when using a new (i.e. long) rod,

Oh, absolutely, irrespective of the log rod etc. But then I guess that
applies to most things? weg

using my
free hand to prop the electrode somewhere nearer the business end, makes
for a much easier job of keeping it where you want and not waggling all
over the place!

Yup, (although you need decent hand protection for that) and again,
yer overall position (you and the job) can determine how easy things
can be.

p.s. Whilst I could weld (stick / gas) and had my own gear from an
early age, I got loads of good mentoring from a coded welder who
really did make it look so easy. Even welding a h/d pipe overhead in
cramped conditions. ;-)

I count anything under 2' from the ground as cramped conditions these days!

I'm still ok on my haunches (for a short time) but cant just spring up
from that position like I used to. So, on the floor is ok, or sitting
an a low to high stool or standing is ok. Welding overhead can be
'fun' for other reasons than lack of comfort.

When I replaced the 8' square up-and-over garage door that came with
my (what was to be) workshop, I replaced it with a square arch
'subframe' (100x100x12mm" angle) and 3 fanlites at the top and a
bi-fold door and personal door at the bottom (doors 6'6" high).

I dragged out the stick welder to weld the top fillets as I needed
something a bit 'punchy'. I was ok, up on the platform, my mate below,
steadying it whist I got the tacks in, not so. I think I had to treat
him to a new jumper. ;-)

The top frame / opening windows were all in lighter angle (wired
glass) and the doors were 50x25x1.5mm steel box, clad on the inside
with steel sheet (so that could be skinned with something more
decorative on the outside within the frames).

I put the horizontal steel cutting bandsaw, MIG welder and (very old,
bought with the SIP 150) B&D 'Pro' angle grinder to good use on that
project. ;-)

Cheers, T i m