Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Liquid glass: the spray-on scientific revelation'

Looks interesting if the reports are accurate. Not sure how it
protects against heat though?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...evelation.html
Liquid glass, a revolutionary invisible non-toxic spray that protects
against everything from bacteria to UV radiation, could soon be used
on a vast range of products.

By Nick Collins
Published: 9:41AM GMT 01 Feb 2010

The spray, which is harmless to the environment, can be used to
protect against disease, guard vineyards against fungal threats and
coat the nose cones of high-speed trains, it has been claimed.

The versatile spray, which forms an easy-clean coating one millionth
of a millimetre thick €“ 500 times thinner than a human hair €“ can be
applied to virtually any surface to protect it against water, dirt,
bacteria, heat and UV radiation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 2 Feb, 22:02, Simon C. wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s.../Liquid-glass-...
Liquid glass, a revolutionary invisible non-toxic spray that protects
against everything from bacteria to UV radiation, could soon be used
on a vast range of products.

I bet if you spray it on your CDs it makes them sound wonderful too.
And with the efficiency of NHS purchasing it will be cheaper to get it
from Russ Andrews than buy it on prescription.

Owain

Live in a decent part of the UK as I do - and get your prescriptions free -
oh, and free hospital car parking as well!

You couldn't get any cheaper than that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like a nanoparticle coating.

There are concerns that materials containing nanoparticles could cause
as yet unknown health issues - though more so things like cosmetics
than surface treatments.

Problem is the regulatory environment hasn't yet caught up with
advances in materials science.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanoparticle#Safety
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Falco wrote:
Live in a decent part of the UK as I do - and get your prescriptions
free - oh, and free hospital car parking as well!

You couldn't get any cheaper than that!

Many areas have free car parking at hospitals. Always full. At least when
you pay you can usually get a space.

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wonder what happens if you spray it on your.... never mind
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 3 Feb, 00:08, "Falco" wrote:
Diolch yn fawr.

Rydych yn croesawu.

Sosej a sglod!

Owain

fy hovercraft yn llawn o llysywod

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clot
writes
Falco wrote:
Clot wrote:
Falco wrote:
Owain wrote:
On 2 Feb, 22:02, Simon C. wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s.../Liquid-glass-...
Liquid glass, a revolutionary invisible non-toxic spray that
protects against everything from bacteria to UV radiation, could
soon be used on a vast range of products.

I bet if you spray it on your CDs it makes them sound wonderful
too. And with the efficiency of NHS purchasing it will be cheaper
to get it from Russ Andrews than buy it on prescription.

Owain

Live in a decent part of the UK as I do - and get your prescriptions
free - oh, and free hospital car parking as well!

You couldn't get any cheaper than that!

Diolch yn fawr.

Rydych yn croesawu.

Ble chi?

Someone buy them some sheep and a pair of wellies ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Clot
writes
Falco wrote:
Clot wrote:
Falco wrote:
Owain wrote:
On 2 Feb, 22:02, Simon C. wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s.../Liquid-glass-...
Liquid glass, a revolutionary invisible non-toxic spray that
protects against everything from bacteria to UV radiation, could
soon be used on a vast range of products.

I bet if you spray it on your CDs it makes them sound wonderful
too. And with the efficiency of NHS purchasing it will be cheaper
to get it from Russ Andrews than buy it on prescription.

Owain

Live in a decent part of the UK as I do - and get your
prescriptions free - oh, and free hospital car parking as well!

You couldn't get any cheaper than that!

Diolch yn fawr.

Rydych yn croesawu.

Ble chi?

Someone buy them some sheep and a pair of wellies ...

An hour earlier had I read this, I might have been needing to clear a red
mist from the monitor!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Falco wrote:
Live in a decent part of the UK as I do - and get your prescriptions
free - oh, and free hospital car parking as well!

The vast majority of people in England, including me, get their
prescriptions free.

You couldn't get any cheaper than that!

Many areas have free car parking at hospitals. Always full. At least when
you pay you can usually get a space.

Not at Southampton General, which has a two storey pay car park and can
have queues that may take nearly an hour to get to the entry barrier.

I suspect charging at hospital car parks may be influenced by the
proximity of other facilities. One hospital in my area is remote from
shopping areas and even quite difficult to get to without a car. That
has free parking. Two others are near enough to their respective towns
possibly to be attractive to people not visting the hospital, except
that they charge more than the public car parks in the area. In fact,
when visting either of those, I usually park in a public car park and
walk to the hospital. Of course, that could be a subtle ploy by the
hospital to get people to walk more :-)

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar \cpb\@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
Many areas have free car parking at hospitals. Always full. At least
when you pay you can usually get a space.

Not at Southampton General, which has a two storey pay car park and can
have queues that may take nearly an hour to get to the entry barrier.

I suspect charging at hospital car parks may be influenced by the
proximity of other facilities. One hospital in my area is remote from
shopping areas and even quite difficult to get to without a car. That
has free parking. Two others are near enough to their respective towns
possibly to be attractive to people not visting the hospital, except
that they charge more than the public car parks in the area. In fact,
when visting either of those, I usually park in a public car park and
walk to the hospital. Of course, that could be a subtle ploy by the
hospital to get people to walk more :-)

Down to the high land costs in certain areas. In most of London say the
cost of the land required to provide adequate parking for everyone free at
a large hospital would be horrendous - and could you imagine the outcry if
the NHS spent their money on this rather than more direct patient care?
And why should patients and their visitors get free parking as a right
while the staff who might work shifts (so not benefit from any PT working
at its best) do not? You could of course operate some form of priority
parking where the spaces are limited - but this would be costly to
administer. Probably more satisfactory to provide transport to and from
hospital for those who can't do it under their own steam for whatever
reasons.
Where a hospital does charge for the limited parking they have, it's
common to have surrounding on street parking at a similar figure. If this
wasn't done, the conditions of local on street parking would be even worse
than they are now for residents of those streets.

Of course you could build all new hospitals on cheaper out of town sites.
But then it would take the majority longer to get there - and of course
emergency ambulance services, which could have serious implications.
The only answer is to provide adequate PT services to the hospital.
Perhaps in the form of a bus service from the local station or centre.

--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:03:26 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Many areas have free car parking at hospitals. Always full. At least
when you pay you can usually get a space.

Yes, I still follow UK news and have seen cynical attempts to get
votes by promising to abolish hospital parking charges. The reality -
as you rightly say - was that before charging, free parking usually
meant no parking - at Kingston and West Middlesex anyway.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

But where would the "centre" be in the case of St.George's? Tooting Bec
Common maybe? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Of course you could build all new hospitals on cheaper out of town
sites. But then it would take the majority longer to get there - and
of course emergency ambulance services, which could have serious
implications. The only answer is to provide adequate PT services to
the hospital. Perhaps in the form of a bus service from the local
station or centre.

But where would the "centre" be in the case of St.George's? Tooting Bec
Common maybe? :-)

It already has several bus routes that stop outside - and one which goes
through the grounds. But many Londoners are strange about using buses -
can't be bothered to look up the routes - and the nearest tube is quite a
hike away. Takes about a 1/4 hour to walk from it for someone who is fit.

I was more referring to other towns which may well not have as good PT as
London.

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

My "local" hospital (25 miles away, one of the downsides of living in a
rural area) is out of town, and still charges (the railway station car
park a mile away doesn't!). There's nothing but the hospital there
either. The car parks are always full, and I think the charges are there
to encourage use of PT even though the PT ain't great.

I shall ask them what their policy is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...

My "local" hospital (25 miles away, one of the downsides of living in a
rural area) is out of town, and still charges (the railway station car
park a mile away doesn't!). There's nothing but the hospital there either.
The car parks are always full, and I think the charges are there to
encourage use of PT even though the PT ain't great.

I shall ask them what their policy is.

Well they aren't charging enough and should charge more and provide more
spaces if they are always full.

My local hospital gets loads of complaints about charges and they always
quote the max daily rate despite them selling 10 single use tickets for £10,
weekly passes for £10 and 3 month passes for £20

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Qvbypu la snje.
Elqlpu la pebrfnjh.

Fbfrw n ftybq!

sl ubirepensg la yynja b yylfljbq

Znr sl atulzlqbt jrqv pbrfnh cera n guenrq tb vnja.

Abj EBG13. Genafyngrq vagb Cbyvfu.

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

B&Q will be selling it http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=12980

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Simon C. wrote:
Looks interesting if the reports are accurate. Not sure how it
protects against heat though?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...evelation.html
Liquid glass, a revolutionary invisible non-toxic spray that protects
against everything from bacteria to UV radiation, could soon be used
on a vast range of products.

B&Q will be selling it http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=12980

Must mean it's overpriced, then.

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *