Richard Savage

Default House buying process

Scott Mills wrote:

week 3 - chase lawyer (I did this on an almost daily basis), how are the
searches doing, is everything ok? exchange contracts.

And I bet your solicitor (I presume that you don't mean that you tried
to use a barrister?) was glad to see the back of you. This is one of
the primary reasons that my wife avoids doing any private client
conveyancing work in the lower end of the market. (she is a solicitor
primarily specializing in commercial work). Namely the private punter
ringing up every minute asking what's happening? have you done this that
or the other? when they have been told what she is waiting for, from
whom, the timescale and that they the will be informed when she has some
information. Private clients seem not to understand that the more
unnecessary time she spends on the phone to them when she has no updates
means less time chasing for the updates.

On the other hand she does handle domestic conveyances in the £1 Mill +
range because those clients seem to have a much better understanding of
the 'business' aspects of the matter. Namely that they are paying
someone to handle their affairs - why by a dog and bark yourself?
Because she takes a business-like approach to it she and not her firm,
is the solicitor of choice in our town for at least one of the firms of
estate agents that specializes in the top end of the market.

Rant Mode Off

Richard

Richard Savage

Neil Jones wrote:

When I moved in 2001 I asked the estate agent who sold our flat to
suggest a solictor who would answer my calls and do the work promptly
and accurately. The guy he suggested did exactly that and the move was
almost stress-free, contrasting wildly with the time in 1997 when I used
the cheapest solicitor, and paid for it.

Yes, it was more expensive to use this guy because he takes on fewer
clients, but the extra was well worth it.

The estate agents are dealing with solicitors constantly and so they
should know who is good, who is sloppy and who plays golf in the office.

Regards

Neil

Thank you Neil,

I've been waiting for someone to hit that nail on the head. Domestic
conveyancing is simply not cost effective for many solicitors, so to
make any money (and I don't mean the lovely profit for doing sweet FA
that estate agents do) they have to operate on very high volume using
low paid staff. Don't expect that the senior partner will be handling
your £200K purchase when you are being charged a few hundred quid for
your purchase. You makes your choice, pays your money and gets what you
pay for.

Rgds Richard

Chris Game

Richard Savage wrote:

Namely that they are paying someone to handle their affairs - why
by a dog and bark yourself?

No doubt with those £1M 'bones' the dog in question gives it some
attention (no offence to Mrs. S!). With a £500 conveyance fee for a
more modest dwelling, a daily kick up the backside is the only way
of making sure your own issues are the ones that are chased up
first.

--
Chris Game

All generalizations are false, including this one.
tony sayer

In article , Chris Game
writes
Richard Savage wrote:

Namely that they are paying someone to handle their affairs - why
by a dog and bark yourself?

No doubt with those £1M 'bones' the dog in question gives it some
attention (no offence to Mrs. S!). With a £500 conveyance fee for a
more modest dwelling, a daily kick up the backside is the only way
of making sure your own issues are the ones that are chased up
first.

Why does the soliciting profession "have" to be involved?.

Cant another way be invented?..
--
Tony Sayer

Freda

Richard Savage said
Namely the private punter
ringing up every minute asking what's happening? have you done this that
or the other? when they have been told what she is waiting for, from
whom, the timescale and that they the will be informed when she has some
information. Private clients seem not to understand that the more
unnecessary time she spends on the phone to them when she has no updates
means less time chasing for the updates.

While that may well be true from her perspective - what about the
solicitor who is just waiting and waiting and waiting for some paperwork
but doesn't bother to make a simple phone call to chase it until
harassed by the client?

I have found this to be the case on several occasions - so it cuts both
ways.

--
It’s a disaster. This is not what we were expecting. Ferrari were not
supposed to go this fast." - Bernie Ecclestone -

Richard Faulkner

In message , Freda
writes
Richard Savage said
Namely the private punter
ringing up every minute asking what's happening? have you done this that
or the other? when they have been told what she is waiting for, from
whom, the timescale and that they the will be informed when she has some
information. Private clients seem not to understand that the more
unnecessary time she spends on the phone to them when she has no updates
means less time chasing for the updates.

While that may well be true from her perspective - what about the
solicitor who is just waiting and waiting and waiting for some paperwork
but doesn't bother to make a simple phone call to chase it until
harassed by the client?

I have found this to be the case on several occasions - so it cuts both
ways.

I find the same thing on many occasions. A sellers solicitor is waiting
for something from a buyers solicitor, the buyers solicitor thinks they
are waiting for something from the sellers solicitor, or vice versa - or
one believes they have already answered a query as much as they need to,
and the other doesnt.

Often when we query it, they tend to respond by writing a letter.

I cant understand why they dont pick the phone up to each other.

Then we estate agents get the blame for any delays!!! g

--
Richard Faulkner
Faulkner & Faulkner
Andy Hall

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 17:03:46 +0000, Richard Faulkner
wrote:

I find the same thing on many occasions. A sellers solicitor is waiting
for something from a buyers solicitor, the buyers solicitor thinks they
are waiting for something from the sellers solicitor, or vice versa - or
one believes they have already answered a query as much as they need to,
and the other doesnt.

Often when we query it, they tend to respond by writing a letter.

I cant understand why they dont pick the phone up to each other.

Then we estate agents get the blame for any delays!!! g

Two reasons.

1) Covering your backside is the first lecture of a law degree

2) They can charge for it at quite good margin

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Richard Savage

Andy Hall wrote:

Two reasons.

2) They can charge for it at quite good margin

Not with fixed-price conveyancing they can't. How many of you shopped
around for the cheapest quote?

Richard

Richard Savage

Chris Game wrote:

Richard Savage wrote:

Namely that they are paying someone to handle their affairs - why
by a dog and bark yourself?

No doubt with those £1M 'bones' the dog in question gives it some
attention (no offence to Mrs. S!). With a £500 conveyance fee for a
more modest dwelling, a daily kick up the backside is the only way
of making sure your own issues are the ones that are chased up
first.

None taken. Just trying add a little bias from her point of view.

Liz finds it most frustrating dealing with the solicitors instructed, or
more often employed, by building firms

Richard Savage

tony sayer wrote:

Why does the soliciting profession "have" to be involved?.

Cant another way be invented?..

One of the things that you are paying for is someone that your lender
will give your mortgage advance with only their word as security. Think
about it; your lender will not give you the money to buy your house
without some form of security in return. A typical security for a
mortgage to buy a house is the house itself! You demonstrate that it
is securitty for a loan by placing a charge against the property. You
can't do that until you own the property (without the consent of the
existing owners!). A chicken and egg problem. The lenders trust the
solicitor to hold your mortgage advance with no security against an
undertaking that they will register the charge against the property at
the same time as transferring it into your name.

The above applies to licensed conveyancers as well,

Of course, if you are buying without a loan you don't need that aspect
of a solicitors service.

Richard Faulkner

In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

I find the same thing on many occasions. A sellers solicitor is waiting
for something from a buyers solicitor, the buyers solicitor thinks they
are waiting for something from the sellers solicitor, or vice versa - or
one believes they have already answered a query as much as they need to,
and the other doesnt.

Often when we query it, they tend to respond by writing a letter.

I cant understand why they dont pick the phone up to each other.

Then we estate agents get the blame for any delays!!! g

Two reasons.

1) Covering your backside is the first lecture of a law degree

2) They can charge for it at quite good margin

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Agreed on the CYA, but most of our transactions involve fixed fee
conveyancing.

--
Richard Faulkner
Faulkner & Faulkner
Tel: 0161 881 6087 Fax: 0161 861 7636 web: www.estate.demon.co.uk
tony sayer

In article , Richard Faulkner
writes
[...]

Yes the legal profession is one that needs an almighty kick up their
arses, which they wont get because too many of me 'learned friends are
in the houses of parleyment.

The one that I use won't accept any communication by e-mail!. Wasn't all
that long ago that they weren't allowed to advertise.

Do they really *have* to be involved at all?, clearly some other system
has to be invented.

-
Then we estate agents get the blame for any delays!!! g

Quite...
--
Tony Sayer

Eggy

"jah_aaa" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

not sure if the right group, but here goes anyway:

We are first time buyers and have had an offer accepted on a house,
and both ourselves and the vendor are after a "quick" sale. Both are
chain free.

My question is this:

What sort of timetable would be a quick sale? When should I start
hassling solicitors and surveyers and the vendors?

Anyone with a rough timescale for the next few weeks??

thanks,

The whole process is a farce to be honest from what I have been told.

Friends of ours were buying a property and needed to sell theirs.

Eventually found a buyer and waited for their vendors to move.

The vendors could not find another property and had to take theirs off the
market. So my friends lost about £800 in survey fees and mortgage /
solicitor fees.

So my friends had to find another property.

They could not find one they could afford as property prices had shot up in
the few months they were waiting to move and so they had to reluctantly pull
out of the chain too. Very reluctant they were as they really needed the
extra space.

That would have been the end of the story but the people buying theirs made
severe threats that either my friends moved or refunded them their costs
too, "or else....".

So my friends had to report their buyers, a Mr BRC and a Miss KW, to the
police. Police made a note but could do nothing as only a verbal threat had
been made.

If these people view your property, all I can say is beware. Especially if
you are vulnerable / old.

Disgusting story really. Bang out of order.

Anyway all local estate agents were advised of the nature of BRC and KW, so
hopefully they won't move near my friends.