Richard Savage

Default House buying process

Neil Jones wrote:

When I moved in 2001 I asked the estate agent who sold our flat to
suggest a solictor who would answer my calls and do the work promptly
and accurately. The guy he suggested did exactly that and the move was
almost stress-free, contrasting wildly with the time in 1997 when I used
the cheapest solicitor, and paid for it.

Yes, it was more expensive to use this guy because he takes on fewer
clients, but the extra was well worth it.

The estate agents are dealing with solicitors constantly and so they
should know who is good, who is sloppy and who plays golf in the office.

Regards

Neil

Thank you Neil,

I've been waiting for someone to hit that nail on the head. Domestic
conveyancing is simply not cost effective for many solicitors, so to
make any money (and I don't mean the lovely profit for doing sweet FA
that estate agents do) they have to operate on very high volume using
low paid staff. Don't expect that the senior partner will be handling
your £200K purchase when you are being charged a few hundred quid for
your purchase. You makes your choice, pays your money and gets what you
pay for.

Rgds Richard