Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Phone line and Broadband contract for 9 months?

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 11:35:20 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

Must be unlimited usage - they us *a lot* of data.

Speed is not a real issue, and down stream is the only concern.

I don't think more than 10Mbps is required as there are only the two of
them in the flat, and around 2MBps should be enough for streaming a
single HD movie.

Think Netflix will slowly ramp the bit rate up and down to match what
the line can provide and the max resolution (HD, 4K etc) the sub
allows.

BBC iPlayer HD (which I think is 1270 x ??? rather than 1920x1080)
runs nearer 3 Mbps. So 10 Mbps is fine for that but may limit the top
end for Netflix 4K. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 01:33:14 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

And remember if a bill is in your name, you are liable for *all*

of
the amount.

And if some one is a slow payer you end up subbing them until they

do
pay, leaving you tight for cash or they could do a runner.

One stop shop, might be a litle more expensive but makes things

far
simpler and predictable.

Except the OP will have control of the router and so may be able to ban
non-paying devices from his own home[1]. I would even make them pay up
front.

Not so easy for gas, electricity & water...

Not that the above is a patriculary relevant now we know the share is
just with one other and a best friend. Some what different to half a
dozen effectively strangers...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2020 10:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 11:35:20 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

Must be unlimited usage - they us *a lot* of data.

Speed is not a real issue, and down stream is the only concern.

I don't think more than 10Mbps is required as there are only the two of
them in the flat, and around 2MBps should be enough for streaming a
single HD movie.

Think Netflix will slowly ramp the bit rate up and down to match what
the line can provide and the max resolution (HD, 4K etc) the sub
allows.

BBC iPlayer HD (which I think is 1270 x ??? rather than 1920x1080)
runs nearer 3 Mbps. So 10 Mbps is fine for that but may limit the top
end for Netflix 4K. B-)

These kids watch everything on their laptopa. No way will they notice if
it is HD or 4K on a 13"/14" screen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
That time of year is fast approaching, and am looking for a contract for
a contract for a student that only lasts 9 months.

Do they exist? Or will I have to take a 12 months one, cancel and after
the admin fees take a small refund?

Any idea if such contracts exist for gas and electricity too?

When our three were students (the last one finished her PhD last year) they
all said Virgin were the only one which offered €˜shorter contracts.

As I recall, they also offered broadband only deals- ie no phone. These
days people use mobiles and it saves bill disputes.

I assume it isnt a first year student who is in a hall of residence? Halls
tend to have their own system- depending on the hall type (part of the Uni
or independent) prices vary.

Another option is a 4G router. I use one in my motorhome. About £22 /
month, €˜unlimited data, speed can be comparable with Fibre to cabinet
but can drop to 10M at times. The advantage is, you just take it with you
as you move. I use one in the Motorhome, take it if we go away somewhere
else. We used it when our ISP has flaky a few weeks back. Even use it in
Europe.

--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact...an-trafficking
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

"Smolley" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 17:38:34 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

JoeJoe wrote:

That time of year is fast approaching, and am looking for a contract
for a contract for a student that only lasts 9 months.

Do they exist?

https://www.1pbroadband.com

Only 36 megabit speed.

Oh dear!

how does anyone manage?

tim (who's lucky when he get 12 megabits)

Investigate the 4G router option.

Typically £22/3 per month, €˜unlimited data, speed not usually a problem
unless you are in a poor signal area (I typically get 30M + ), portable,

I use one in the motorhome.

--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact...an-trafficking

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay Wrote in message:

JoeJoe wrote:

That time of year is fast approaching, and am looking for a contract
for a contract for a student that only lasts 9 months.

Do they exist?

https://www.1pbroadband.com

Only 36 megabit speed.

Oh dear!

how does anyone manage?

tim (who's lucky when he get 12 megabits)

Investigate the 4G router option.

Typically £22/3 per month, ?unlimited? data, speed not usually a problem
unless you are in a poor signal area (I typically get 30M + ), portable,

I use one in the motorhome.

But you CBA to read the thread....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2020 22:34, Brian Reay wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
That time of year is fast approaching, and am looking for a contract for
a contract for a student that only lasts 9 months.

Do they exist? Or will I have to take a 12 months one, cancel and after
the admin fees take a small refund?

Any idea if such contracts exist for gas and electricity too?

When our three were students (the last one finished her PhD last year) they
all said Virgin were the only one which offered €˜shorter contracts.

As I recall, they also offered broadband only deals- ie no phone. These
days people use mobiles and it saves bill disputes.

I assume it isnt a first year student who is in a hall of residence? Halls
tend to have their own system- depending on the hall type (part of the Uni
or independent) prices vary.

Moving out of halls after the summer.

Another option is a 4G router. I use one in my motorhome. About £22 /
month, €˜unlimited data, speed can be comparable with Fibre to cabinet
but can drop to 10M at times. The advantage is, you just take it with you
as you move. I use one in the Motorhome, take it if we go away somewhere
else. We used it when our ISP has flaky a few weeks back. Even use it in
Europe.

Thanks. Will investigate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/07/2020 13:22, JoeJoe wrote:
Any idea if such contracts exist for gas and electricity too?

My last 2 energy companies had no exit fee.
Bulb and Green. (the dot is part of the name)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2020 18:20, ss wrote:
On 11/07/2020 13:22, JoeJoe wrote:
Any idea if such contracts exist for gas and electricity too?

My last 2 energy companies had no exit fee.
Bulb and Green.Â* (the dot is part of the name)

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:
That time of year is fast approaching, and am looking for a contract for
a contract for a student that only lasts 9 months.

Do they exist? Or will I have to take a 12 months one, cancel and after
the admin fees take a small refund?

Any idea if such contracts exist for gas and electricity too?

When our three were students (the last one finished her PhD last year)
they
all said Virgin were the only one which offered €˜shorter contracts.

As I recall, they also offered broadband only deals- ie no phone. These
days people use mobiles and it saves bill disputes.

when I went to the virgin site to look at using them for my BB

selecting the "no landline" option increases the monthly fee for the package

IME, no-landline may be theoretically possible, it is not economically
possible

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2020 10:01, tim... wrote:

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:
That time of year is fast approaching, and am looking for a contract for
a contract for a student that only lasts 9 months.

Do they exist?Â* Or will I have to take a 12 months one, cancel and after
the admin fees take a small refund?

Any idea if such contracts exist for gas and electricity too?

When our three were students (the last one finished her PhD last year)
they
all said Virgin were the only one which offered €˜shorter contracts.

As I recall, they also offered broadband only deals- ie no phone. These
days people use mobiles and it saves bill disputes.

when I went to the virgin site to look at using them for my BB

selecting the "no landline" option increases the monthly fee for the
package

IME, no-landline may be theoretically possible, it is not economically
possible

Two of my three had deals which were internet only with Virgin while

students, the third may have had. Things may have changed. Of course, it
could have been student only deals.

The 4G router is still an option. I was playing with mine today - 40M on
my drive, not the best place for a mobile phone signal and almost as
fast as my home broadband, which is Fibre to cabinet (perhaps 1/4 mile
away).

--
https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-...forced-labour/