Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default discarding old paint tins

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 11:37:46 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 23/06/2020 11:30, tim... wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 22/06/2020 17:05, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:30:49 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
** Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 06:26:53 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

On Monday, 22 June 2020 14:07:38 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)* wrote:
In article ,
*** tim... wrote:
what to do

you can't put them in the normal rubbish

How would they know? Do your dustmen go through the rubbish? ;-)

Yes. They do.

Agreed. I had a sharp note written on a scrap of cardboard the other
week, saying that if I put out tissues with the waste paper for
recycling, they wouldn't take any of it. Reasonable comment, I
suppose, except that I don't use tissues for blowing my nose etc, only
for cleaning my specs, but they're not to know.

Different matter with stuff in the recycle bin. The wrong material
could
contaminate the whole batch. And tissues may not be made from paper
which
can be recycled. Same as some kitchen 'paper' and wet wipes.

I thought it passed along a long conveyor belt with electromagnets to
remove ferrous items, air jets to lift the paper and cans and teams of
pickers to remove unsuitable and wrongly categorised items.

I also thought the paper and card was pulped with all impurities
removed at that stage, so would plastic contaminant make any
difference?* They seem to cope with the ink okay so why not a bit of
plastic?

Biodegradeable plastic bags render perfectly re-usable plastic
from being recycled.

at which point in the process?

If large items are hand sorted (as it seems they often are)

how can having plastic bags in the mix contaminate the selected items?

tim

There have been programs on teh TV about this. I seem to remember
that when Hugh Fearnly-W did that 'reduce your waste' series
in ?Bristol, he visited a plastic recycling company and they
visually inspected the compressed bales by spreading them out
on a concrete apron and if it looked contaminated, off it went
to landfill or an incinerator.

We have shifted a bit from paper to plastic.

My point was that I believe paper and cardboard are re-pulped and I am
suggesting that impurities can be removed at that stage, so why would
tissues present a problem?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 20:53:41 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 22/06/2020 16:57, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:30:49 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

As for half-empty paint tins, I've taken them to the recycle depot in
the past, and been told just to dump them in the skip used mainly for
plastic (they were plastic 'tins'). Can't get near the depot ATM,
social distancing etc has meant a very slow throughput, queues down
the road for hundreds of yards, and waiting times of several hours.
I'm just stacking stuff in the garage until the situation improves.

And wonder just what happens to the stuff in the plastic skip afterwards?

There's a relatively new waste-to-energy incinerator in mid Cornwall.
I assume all combustible stuff ends up there. I don't see the point of
keeping plastic waste separate, otherwise.

There is a suspicion that a lot of the recyclable material in West
Sussex is just being trucked over to Brighton to keep their
incinerator constantly fed.

Will it benefit their statistics?

Has anyone tried to argue that 'energy from waste' (formerly known as
incineration) is a species of recycling?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 June 2020 11:47:54 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Monday, 22 June 2020 11:54:10 UTC+1, tim... wrote:

what to do

you can't put them in the normal rubbish

you can't put them in the recycling

you can "recycle" them by letting the contents dry out and take them to
the
household recycling centre. But I'm not lugging 6 tins there on the bus
(that's if they'll even let me in when I get there)

so what do you do with the damned things

fly-tip them?

tim

Sometimes people take them when offered free, sometimes not.

Yes, I guessed that

Sometimes such batches can be mixed to make useful paints, just don't
expect to ever get anything to match well later.

I already have enough paint for my required needs.

making new colours from it, isn't going to create a use for it

Oh. Here it does. 1/4 can of some random colour's no use, several cans all the same nice colour are more useful.

Lesser amounts can be mixed in the can if the result is a nice colour &
offered to charities -

need to black out the manufacturer name.

why?

because it's no longer something they produced.

You can also mix emulsion into cement/sand.

for some specific purpose

or just to get rid of it (the paint that is)

so what does one do with the sand afterwards?

Really?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 June 2020 11:54:10 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
what to do

you can't put them in the normal rubbish

you can't put them in the recycling

you can "recycle" them by letting the contents dry out and take them to the
household recycling centre. But I'm not lugging 6 tins there on the bus
(that's if they'll even let me in when I get there)

so what do you do with the damned things

fly-tip them?

tim

Another option is offer them to your local housing association. They want to keep costs down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

well of course it is, why would it not be?

just like sending off cuts of food to the pet food factory is NOT food waste

HTH

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tim...
wrote:

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
Assuming your recycle centre will take them, you can pay for a
collection if you want.

no, I don't want

I think that's an unreasonable requirement put upon me because I don't
have a car

The items are not too big to carry to the tip

pedestrians are not allowed access to ours

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Different matter with stuff in the recycle bin. The wrong material could
contaminate the whole batch.

so they pretend

how the wrong sort of paper can make the tins glass and plastic bottles
unrecyclable is anybody's guess

Wouldn't the same apply to having all the rubbish in one sack - if it is
going to be fully sorted afterwards?

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
Different matter with stuff in the recycle bin. The wrong material
could
contaminate the whole batch.

so they pretend

how the wrong sort of paper can make the tins glass and plastic bottles
unrecyclable is anybody's guess

Wouldn't the same apply to having all the rubbish in one sack - if it is
going to be fully sorted afterwards?

It's not though is it?

general rubbish is contaminated by "smelly" things

Recycling is supposed not to (you do wash out your tins/bottles before
putting them in don't you)

HTH

tim

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article , tim...
wrote:

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
Assuming your recycle centre will take them, you can pay for a
collection if you want.

no, I don't want

I think that's an unreasonable requirement put upon me because I don't
have a car

The items are not too big to carry to the tip

pedestrians are not allowed access to ours

Yes, that's the point

they place collection of a "carriable" item behind a cars only barrier

and then expect you to pay them to pick up from you

It's not reasonable

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Put them in the bottom of the wheely bin. Once it's been tipped into the truck and crushed - tough!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cynic" wrote in message
Put them in the bottom of the wheely bin. Once it's been tipped into the
truck and crushed - tough!

we have a large communal bin

it's easy to hide it in the middle

unless bin monitor spots it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 11:53, charles wrote:

tim... wrote:
what to do

you can't put them in the normal rubbish

How would they know? Do your dustmen go through the rubbish? ;-)

Yes. They do.

Agreed. I had a sharp note written on a scrap of cardboard the other
week, saying that if I put out tissues with the waste paper for
recycling, they wouldn't take any of it. Reasonable comment, I
suppose, except that I don't use tissues for blowing my nose etc, only
for cleaning my specs, but they're not to know.

Different matter with stuff in the recycle bin. The wrong material could
contaminate the whole batch.

so they pretend

how the wrong sort of paper can make the tins glass and plastic bottles
unrecyclable is anybody's guess

with tissues, there's a potential health issue.

And I bet lots of used face-masks are now going to end up in the
paper recycling bin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 07:40:21 -0700 (PDT), Cynic
wrote:

Put them in the bottom of the wheely bin. Once it's been tipped into the truck and crushed - tough!

Don't these guys have long memories :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

or. just at the roadside - ssen that.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 19:54:58 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Somebody left a tissue on our common staircase. Obviously a
biohazard. I disinfected the stair with bleach!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 19:58, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 19:54:58 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Should've used a flamethrower. Could do with a new distraction in the news.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 11:05, Andrew wrote:
On 22/06/2020 23:04, williamwright wrote:
On 22/06/2020 14:26, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 22 June 2020 14:07:38 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)Â* wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* tim... wrote:
what to do

you can't put them in the normal rubbish

How would they know? Do your dustmen go through the rubbish? ;-)

Yes. They do.

****s. That gives you the moral right to fly tip.

Bill

My neighbour has probably done as much work since selling his
MOT and garage business 12 years ago, on his drive or at his
mates garage. He lives alone with his wife but every 2 weeks his
blue recycling bin is full to the brim (mine takes 8 weeks to
'fill)').

If you sift below the top quarter, it is full of old air cleaners,
pollen filters, brake pads, and dirty newspaper that he has used
for masking while doing body repairs.

I guess if you're happy to subsidise his business that's ok.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

Flog it on ebay?
With the paint, maybe the current breed of protestors would appreciate
all donations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 15:31, tim... wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , tim...
wrote:

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
Assuming your recycle centre will take them, you can pay for a
collection if you want.

no, I don't want

I think that's an unreasonable requirement put upon me because I don't
have a car

The items are not too big to carry to the tip

pedestrians are not allowed access to ours

Yes, that's the point

they place collection of a "carriable" item behind a cars only barrier

and then expect you to pay them to pick up from you

It's not reasonable

Dump it there and walk swiftly away. You don't have a registration plate
for the ANPR and you can freely walk around with your face covered these
days, not forgetting that they cannot come within 2 metres (soon 1.5 or
1) to stop you. Win,win, win.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 06:07:42 +0100, Richard
wrote:

On 23/06/2020 19:58, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 19:54:58 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Actually, I did mention to one of the neighbours that one option I was
considering was to set it on fire :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** tim... wrote:
what to do

you can't put them in the normal rubbish

How would they know? Do your dustmen go through the rubbish? ;-)

Yes. They do.

****s. That gives you the moral right to fly tip.

Bill

My neighbour has probably done as much work since selling his
MOT and garage business 12 years ago, on his drive or at his
mates garage. He lives alone with his wife but every 2 weeks his
blue recycling bin is full to the brim (mine takes 8 weeks to
'fill)').

If you sift below the top quarter, it is full of old air cleaners,
pollen filters, brake pads, and dirty newspaper that he has used
for masking while doing body repairs.

I guess if you're happy to subsidise his business that's ok.

We are subsidising most businesses anyway so one more should make no
difference :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2020 16:06, charles wrote:

last week, I did 3 trips top our local 'dump'. No crowds, just wait for one
car the first time, drove straight in the other tw.

I've a enough for a car full but looking at the tip's webcam they seem
to be allowing around one car in every 4 to 5 minutes and the queue
stretches back as far as the webcam resolution can render. I estimate
that the wait to get in would be at least an hour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 11:46, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
Sometimes such batches can be mixed to make useful paints, just don't
expect to ever get anything to match well later.

I already have enough paint for my required needs.

making new colours from it, isn't going to create a use for it

All it takes is imagination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZDeALQI46I

(18:10 for the relevant bit, but the whole thing is worth a watch)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 06:21:39 +0100, Richard
wrote:

On 23/06/2020 15:31, tim... wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , tim...
wrote:

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
Assuming your recycle centre will take them, you can pay for a
collection if you want.

no, I don't want

I think that's an unreasonable requirement put upon me because I don't
have a car

The items are not too big to carry to the tip

pedestrians are not allowed access to ours

Yes, that's the point

they place collection of a "carriable" item behind a cars only barrier

and then expect you to pay them to pick up from you

It's not reasonable

Dump it there and walk swiftly away. You don't have a registration plate
for the ANPR and you can freely walk around with your face covered these
days, not forgetting that they cannot come within 2 metres (soon 1.5 or
1) to stop you. Win,win, win.

I suppose a variant would be to ask someone in the queue of cars to
dump it for you :-) I expect someone would assist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2020 06:17, Richard wrote:
On 23/06/2020 12:19, wrote:
On Tuesday, 23 June 2020 11:47:54 UTC+1, tim...Â* wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Monday, 22 June 2020 11:54:10 UTC+1, tim...Â* wrote:

what to do

you can't put them in the normal rubbish

you can't put them in the recycling

you can "recycle" them by letting the contents dry out and take
them to
the
household recycling centre.Â* But I'm not lugging 6 tins there on
[...]

Only bright red paint :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2020 11:52, tim... wrote:
what to do

you can't put them in the normal rubbish

you can't put them in the recycling

you can "recycle" them by letting the contents dry out and take them to
the household recycling centre.Â* But I'm not lugging 6 tins there on the
bus (that's if they'll even let me in when I get there)

so what do you do with the damned things

fly-tip them?

tim

Tip any paint down the drain[1]. Fill the empty can with rubbish,
disguise it by placing in a carrier bag with other rubbish and just put
in in the normal rubbish.

[1]
In the current hot weather just leave the lid off the can and put it in
direct sunshine for a week so it skins/evaporates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 22/06/2020 16:06, charles wrote:

last week, I did 3 trips top our local 'dump'. No crowds, just wait for
one
car the first time, drove straight in the other tw.

I've a enough for a car full but looking at the tip's webcam they seem to
be allowing around one car in every 4 to 5 minutes and the queue stretches
back as far as the webcam resolution can render. I estimate that the wait
to get in would be at least an hour.

when I lived in Basingstoke, that was normal for a weekend visit

HTH

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/06/2020 11:46, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
Sometimes such batches can be mixed to make useful paints, just don't
expect to ever get anything to match well later.

I already have enough paint for my required needs.

making new colours from it, isn't going to create a use for it

All it takes is imagination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZDeALQI46I

1) what's an apothecary cabinet and why might I want one?

2) how many DIYers have one of those automated saw things

(18:10 for the relevant bit, but the whole thing is worth a watch)

He luckily started with nice bright colours

I am starting from a can of Yuk Brown

HTH

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 22/06/2020 11:52, tim... wrote:
what to do

you can't put them in the normal rubbish

you can't put them in the recycling

you can "recycle" them by letting the contents dry out and take them to
the household recycling centre. But I'm not lugging 6 tins there on the
bus (that's if they'll even let me in when I get there)

so what do you do with the damned things

fly-tip them?

tim

Tip any paint down the drain[1].

yeah, really responsible.

Fill the empty can with rubbish, disguise it by placing in a carrier bag
with other rubbish and just put in in the normal rubbish.

[1]
In the current hot weather just leave the lid off the can and put it in
direct sunshine for a week so it skins/evaporates.

evaporates!

half an inch of paint (emulsion) takes about 2 weeks to go solid in last
week weather.

having hoiked out the solid and put it my normal waste

I now have three tins with painted sides

I'll put them in the recycling - even though the instruction from LA are
that I shouldn't

still have a plastic "tin" and two tins that I have yet to put on walls,

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2020 13:00, tim... wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/06/2020 11:46, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
Sometimes such batches can be mixed to make useful paints, just
don't expect to ever get anything to match well later.

I already have enough paint for my required needs.

making new colours from it, isn't going to create a use for it

All it takes is imagination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZDeALQI46I

1) what's an apothecary cabinet and why might I want one?

Apparently a cabinet with lots of drawers...

(presumably from the days when a pharmacist would need to stock lots of
leaves, roots, herbs etc).

Spose it would be good for anyone needing lots of smallish drawers -
perhaps an nice way to house ones screw collection!

2) how many DIYers have one of those automated saw things

Which automated saw thing did you have in mind?

The only slightly unusual saw thing he had is an old DeWalt radial arm
saw - mostly replaced by sliding mitre saws these days. (Plus a "normal"
bandsaw and table saw).

The other main machine was a Record combination planer / thicknesser
machine, which will be a big time saver planing all that reclaimed timber.

(18:10 for the relevant bit, but the whole thing is worth a watch)

He luckily started with nice bright colours

I am starting from a can of Yuk Brown

So you need a nice "earthy" project to paint! :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 25/06/2020 13:00, tim... wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/06/2020 11:46, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

yeah, that thing

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2020 14:54, tim... wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 25/06/2020 13:00, tim... wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/06/2020 11:46, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

That kind of thing is quite popular with wood workers - they tend to pay
for themselves fairly quickly since you can prepare all your own stock
from rough sawn lumber.

Personally I prefer having separate machines for planing and
thicknessing. I have a very old (late '40s) delta 6" planer, and a
DeWalt lunchbox style "portable" thicknesser.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Round here we went down from several bins for recycling to one that takes paper, card and plastics. The bin men occasionally look under the lid which they did for a neighbour of mine and left her bin full when they found plastic sheets and followed up by a letter from the council. I tip them every Xmas they dont bother looking in my bins.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
Round here we went down from several bins for recycling to one that takes
paper, card and plastics.

surely they take steel tines

They are by far the easiest item to recycle and to sort

The bin men occasionally look under the lid which they did for a neighbour
of mine and left her bin full when they found plastic sheets and followed up
by a letter from the council.

well that what happens when you don't follow the rules

I tip them every Xmas they dont bother looking in my bins.

I doubt they remember, personally

HTH

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 June 2020 14:12:58 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/06/2020 13:00, tim... wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/06/2020 11:46, tim... wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message

[...]

though the project could be done with just 1 saw.

The other main machine was a Record combination planer / thicknesser
machine, which will be a big time saver planing all that reclaimed timber.

yes, but planers are vulnerable to any bit of metal left behind, not too unusual in reclaimed wood. A sander based machine would be better - belts are cheap & easy to fit. Just a wood frame plus belt sander could be used if you don't have a thicknesser.

(18:10 for the relevant bit, but the whole thing is worth a watch)

He luckily started with nice bright colours

I am starting from a can of Yuk Brown

So you need a nice "earthy" project to paint! :-)

Or get some free paints. Freecycle, freegle, facebook etc. FWIW I wouldn't have painted it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Thursday, 25 June 2020 14:12:58 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/06/2020 13:00, tim... wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/06/2020 11:46, tim... wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, I wouldnt have either, tho that style was popular in the 50s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 06:36:07 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard about senile Rodent:
"Rod Speed, a bare faced pig and ignorant ****."
MID: