Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default discarding old paint tins

On Thursday, 25 June 2020 14:12:58 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/06/2020 13:00, tim... wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/06/2020 11:46, tim... wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message

Sometimes such batches can be mixed to make useful paints, just
don't expect to ever get anything to match well later.

I already have enough paint for my required needs.

making new colours from it, isn't going to create a use for it

All it takes is imagination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZDeALQI46I

1) what's an apothecary cabinet and why might I want one?

Apparently a cabinet with lots of drawers...

(presumably from the days when a pharmacist would need to stock lots of
leaves, roots, herbs etc).

Spose it would be good for anyone needing lots of smallish drawers -
perhaps an nice way to house ones screw collection!

2) how many DIYers have one of those automated saw things

Which automated saw thing did you have in mind?

The only slightly unusual saw thing he had is an old DeWalt radial arm
saw - mostly replaced by sliding mitre saws these days. (Plus a "normal"
bandsaw and table saw).

though the project could be done with just 1 saw.

The other main machine was a Record combination planer / thicknesser
machine, which will be a big time saver planing all that reclaimed timber.

yes, but planers are vulnerable to any bit of metal left behind, not too unusual in reclaimed wood. A sander based machine would be better - belts are cheap & easy to fit. Just a wood frame plus belt sander could be used if you don't have a thicknesser.

(18:10 for the relevant bit, but the whole thing is worth a watch)

He luckily started with nice bright colours

I am starting from a can of Yuk Brown

So you need a nice "earthy" project to paint! :-)

Or get some free paints. Freecycle, freegle, facebook etc. FWIW I wouldn't have painted it.

NT