Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default discarding old paint tins

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 22/06/2020 11:52, tim... wrote:
what to do

you can't put them in the normal rubbish

you can't put them in the recycling

you can "recycle" them by letting the contents dry out and take them to
the household recycling centre. But I'm not lugging 6 tins there on the
bus (that's if they'll even let me in when I get there)

so what do you do with the damned things

fly-tip them?

tim

Tip any paint down the drain[1].

yeah, really responsible.

Fill the empty can with rubbish, disguise it by placing in a carrier bag
with other rubbish and just put in in the normal rubbish.

[1]
In the current hot weather just leave the lid off the can and put it in
direct sunshine for a week so it skins/evaporates.

evaporates!

half an inch of paint (emulsion) takes about 2 weeks to go solid in last
week weather.

having hoiked out the solid and put it my normal waste

I now have three tins with painted sides

I'll put them in the recycling - even though the instruction from LA are
that I shouldn't

still have a plastic "tin" and two tins that I have yet to put on walls,

tim