Paul Simon

Default TV fault - green hue

Sony KV-M2511U

FAULT
After switching on, the picture has a green hue. This disappears after a
few minutes. Often, the picture is normal after switching on.

COMMENTS
The TV is probably 12 to 14 years old, so we've had good use from it, but
I was wondering whether this fault might lead to a complete failure in the
future or further steady deterioration.

Also, does anyone (a TV engineer maybe) have a diagnosis for the fault
described and know whether it would be worth repairing.

Thanks in appreciation of your replies.
Paul

Doki

"Paul Simon" wrote in message
Sony KV-M2511U

FAULT
After switching on, the picture has a green hue. This disappears after a
few minutes. Often, the picture is normal after switching on.

COMMENTS
The TV is probably 12 to 14 years old, so we've had good use from it, but
I was wondering whether this fault might lead to a complete failure in the
future or further steady deterioration.

Also, does anyone (a TV engineer maybe) have a diagnosis for the fault
described and know whether it would be worth repairing.

Degauss it? Either with a degaussing wand or cheat and get a TV / monitor
with an inbuilt degaussing circuit (they make a sort of BWONGG noise when
you turn them on), hold it against the screen and turn it on.

OTOH you can watch the BBC News without noticing the annoying way it turns
green for a fraction of a second every so often...

Dave Stanton

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:16:59 +0000, Paul Simon wrote:

Sony KV-M2511U

FAULT
After switching on, the picture has a green hue. This disappears after a
few minutes. Often, the picture is normal after switching on.

COMMENTS
The TV is probably 12 to 14 years old, so we've had good use from it, but
I was wondering whether this fault might lead to a complete failure in the
future or further steady deterioration.

Also, does anyone (a TV engineer maybe) have a diagnosis for the fault
described and know whether it would be worth repairing.

Thanks in appreciation of your replies. Paul

Sounds like a faulty driver transistor on the tube.

Dave

derek

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:16:59 GMT,
(Paul Simon) wrote:

Sony KV-M2511U

FAULT
After switching on, the picture has a green hue. This disappears after a
few minutes. Often, the picture is normal after switching on.

COMMENTS
The TV is probably 12 to 14 years old, so we've had good use from it, but
I was wondering whether this fault might lead to a complete failure in the
future or further steady deterioration.

Also, does anyone (a TV engineer maybe) have a diagnosis for the fault
described and know whether it would be worth repairing.

Thanks in appreciation of your replies.
Paul

Well, not really possible to say from the symptoms you've described.

But, :-)

If the picture gradually returns to normal as the set warms up it may
indicate a low output red gun in the tube (which can't match the
green), this would be consistent with the age of the set. A cure would
be a replacement tube. Probably not economic or practical.

If the fault suddenly clears after a few minutes it could be a flaky
component or soldered joint/bad connection. The component may or may
not be cheap but diagnosing which one is defective is likely to take a
lot of expensive time.

All in all the recommendation is get what use out of it you can whilst
it is still serviceable.

BTW I don't think it's magnetised as MR Doki suggests. If the green
hue is even over the whole screen, not causing "rainbow type fringes"
this diagnosis may be regarded as definite.

DG
Woody

"derek" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:16:59 GMT,
(Paul Simon) wrote:

[...]

Most likely an ageing thermistor on the degaussing coils which is heating up
too slowly. Simple component to change costing about £1 - although being
Sony that will probably be more like a tenner!

--

Woody

Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:51:33 -0000, Woody wrote:

Most likely an ageing thermistor on the degaussing coils which is
heating up too slowly.

Can't see that myself, can you explain why a set that hasn't been
moved or had any external magnetic fields applied since last use be
cured by a degauss?

I go for an ageing component in the drive to the red gun or the red
gun has just got tired. If the fault clears suddenly rather than
slowly the set may respond to "impact maintenace" when it exhibits the
fault. ie give the set a thump.

BTW -red actually makes the image cyan, -blue yellow, and -green
magenta. If the fault really is green then it's either +green or -red
and -blue...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

The Natural Philosopher

Paul Simon wrote:

Sony KV-M2511U

FAULT
After switching on, the picture has a green hue. This disappears after a
few minutes. Often, the picture is normal after switching on.

COMMENTS
The TV is probably 12 to 14 years old, so we've had good use from it, but
I was wondering whether this fault might lead to a complete failure in the
future or further steady deterioration.

Red gun probably going down. Not worth fixing since you can generally
pick up S/H or ex rental TV's in good nick for less than teh ciost of
getting a service engineer to take the back off.

Also, does anyone (a TV engineer maybe) have a diagnosis for the fault
described and know whether it would be worth repairing.

12-14 years is about where tubes start to fail. Unless its top of the
range, its not worth re-tubing frankly.

I wander into my TV service man occasionally, and generally find a
stonking 17"-23" set for under 90 quid. Sonys are my favorites.

He quoted me about 200 quid to re-tube a TV ....

Thanks in appreciation of your replies.
Paul

The Natural Philosopher

Woody wrote:

"derek" wrote in message

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:16:59 GMT,
(Paul Simon) wrote:

[...]

And about 50 quid to take the back off and resolder it on, plus the cost
of taking it in to the repair center...

IF you have a good small bloke who fixes TV's like what Tony Sayer put
me onto, wander in and have a chat. Cjhances are he will take a look,
and say 'heres one I repaired earlier that you cvan have for 80 quid,
and I'll take this one for spares, or fix it in my own time and sell it
on if its worth it'.

--

Woody

Dave Plowman

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Red gun probably going down. Not worth fixing since you can generally
pick up S/H or ex rental TV's in good nick for less than teh ciost of
getting a service engineer to take the back off.

For some reason, Sony seem far more prone to this than other makes - and
always the red gun dying which produces 'green' pictures. But a grey scale
re-balance once in a while can keep them going ok for many a year. I
assume modern sets do this automagically.

--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Sam

For some reason, Sony seem far more prone to this than other makes - and
always the red gun dying which produces 'green' pictures.

Yeah we had an old Sony many years ago which had a green cast. A tv repair
bod we knew said that they were notrious for it. Being poor we couldn't
afford to replace it - actually as I recall colour tvs cost loads and loads
relative to what they cost now - and so we put up with it and got used to
it. It was odd when we went and watched other peoples tvs.

Sam

---

Jerry.

"Sam" [email protected] wrote in message ...

For some reason, Sony seem far more prone to this than other makes - and
always the red gun dying which produces 'green' pictures.

Yeah we had an old Sony many years ago which had a green cast. A tv repair
bod we knew said that they were notrious for it. Being poor we couldn't
afford to replace it - actually as I recall colour tvs cost loads and

loads
relative to what they cost now - and so we put up with it and got used to
it. It was odd when we went and watched other peoples tvs.

Must have been odd watching 'The Incredible Hulk', how did you tell the real
hulk apart from all the other green hulks ! :~)

Now were did I put my coat...

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Sam [email protected] wrote:
For some reason, Sony seem far more prone to this than other makes -
and always the red gun dying which produces 'green' pictures.

Yeah we had an old Sony many years ago which had a green cast. A tv
repair bod we knew said that they were notrious for it. Being poor we
couldn't afford to replace it - actually as I recall colour tvs cost
loads and loads relative to what they cost now - and so we put up with
it and got used to it. It was odd when we went and watched other peoples
tvs.

Unless the red gun had failed completely, it should have been possible to
adjust it ok. Indeed, early Sony models had the controls for this on the
back of the set, rather than buried inside as with most.

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Paul Simon

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Paul

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Dave Plowman
wrote:

For some reason, Sony seem far more prone to this than other makes - and
always the red gun dying which produces 'green' pictures.

Apart from a Philips G8? :-)

tony sayer

In article , Andy Luckman
(AJL Electronics) writes
In article , Dave Plowman
wrote:

For some reason, Sony seem far more prone to this than other makes - and
always the red gun dying which produces 'green' pictures.

Apart from a Philips G8? :-)

Are they *still* around?...

--
Tony Sayer

Dave Plowman

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
For some reason, Sony seem far more prone to this than other makes - and
always the red gun dying which produces 'green' pictures.

Apart from a Philips G8? :-)

Are they *still* around?...

A G6 - now that *was* a set. ;-)

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
T i m

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:33:43 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Red gun probably going down. Not worth fixing since you can generally
pick up S/H or ex rental TV's in good nick for less than teh ciost of
getting a service engineer to take the back off.

For some reason, Sony seem far more prone to this than other makes - and
always the red gun dying which produces 'green' pictures. But a grey scale
re-balance once in a while can keep them going ok for many a year. I
assume modern sets do this automagically.

I've had my 17" Sony 'Monitor style' TV for at least 15 years now.
Fine for the first 6 years then the on/off switch failed and I
repaired it (not replaced notice) myself ;-)

Then the Teletext failed (years later) and I phoned my mate (with his
TV repoair shop now gone) and he said C32 on the XYZ board. I changed
it and all sorted again.

Some years later the HT transfomer went, he got me one and dropped it
round, I removed the old one and my 12 year old daughter soldered it
back in (If she can solder 80 LED's in on a Maplin project, 12 legs on
an HT Transformer would be a doddle!) ;-)

For a while the colours have been going a bit weird .. the red would
'flare up' when there was a lot of red in the frame then settle back
down again?

This morning I switched it on and about 2 mins later there was a bit
of a HT type noise the picture broke up horizontally and it shut
down. I left it off 5 mins and turned it back on (expecting it to be
dead) and it seemed a bit 'grey' and switched itself off 20 mins
later. Turned it back on and it's been on most of the day now and
seems to be back to normal ?

We will have to see what it's like in the morning?

Each time my mate told me what it was over the phone I'd pop 10 or 20
quid into his shop when I next went past. Now he's gone I'm not sure
what the future will bring for the little Sony ;-(

All the best ..

T im
N. Thornton

wrote:

[...]

You've got us now, and sci.electronics.repair.

Regards, NT
N. Thornton

(Paul Simon) wrote in message ...
Sony KV-M2511U

FAULT
After switching on, the picture has a green hue. This disappears after a
few minutes. Often, the picture is normal after switching on.

COMMENTS
The TV is probably 12 to 14 years old, so we've had good use from it, but
I was wondering whether this fault might lead to a complete failure in the
future or further steady deterioration.

Also, does anyone (a TV engineer maybe) have a diagnosis for the fault
described and know whether it would be worth repairing.

Thanks in appreciation of your replies.
Paul

Hi Paul.

This is a familiar fault and usually easily cured. Its most likely a
tube with falling emission on red gun, or less tube with short on
green gun. It could be other things but emission is usually what
causes it.

In which case the set should run fine for a fair while, apart from the
initial greening. Over time it can be expected to very slowly
deteriorate, with warm up taking longer, and in time the picture would
stay a bit tinted, and in some years time you'd get a funny colour to
the picture all the time.

If youre sure the pics fine once its warmed up - try it on the test
card and check the grey scale really is OK, all greys no green.
Knowing what colour each portion of the grey scale has gone is useful.

Its normally the tube. Most people go into stupid mode once theres a
tube fault, but in reality tube emission is simple to fix. All it
takes is applying a higher V to the tube heater, and magically the
problem vanishes for the next 5 years or longer. This can be done by
looking at the heater power circuit and tweaking it. If its run off a
few turns on the LOPTF then add another turn round the outside, using
well insulated wire. If its run from a regulated supply, connecting to
before the regulator usually gives about the right boost, etc.

Tube emission faults are really not hard to fix if you can solder and
understand the dangers inherent in any TV, and act sensibly around
them.

Do I know what I'm talking about on this? Yup.

For legal reasons, dont do anything. I say this because if you dont
understand the dangers and act with sense around them, you could risk
getting electrocuted.

Regards, NT
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman
writes
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
For some reason, Sony seem far more prone to this than other makes - and
always the red gun dying which produces 'green' pictures.

Apart from a Philips G8? :-)

Are they *still* around?...

A G6 - now that *was* a set. ;-)

Showing our age a bit now eh Dave?.

Anyone remember the Swedish built K7?, superb pictures and the sound was
something else too!....
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

In article , T i m
writes
wrote:

[...]

Reckon its about time you took it to the vets:-(.....
--
Tony Sayer

N. Thornton

wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Red gun probably going down. Not worth fixing since you can generally
pick up S/H or ex rental TV's in good nick for less than teh ciost of
getting a service engineer to take the back off.

easy diy job if you know basic tronics.

Some years later the HT transfomer went, he got me one and dropped it
round, I removed the old one and my 12 year old daughter soldered it
back in (If she can solder 80 LED's in on a Maplin project, 12 legs on
an HT Transformer would be a doddle!) ;-)

For a while the colours have been going a bit weird .. the red would
'flare up' when there was a lot of red in the frame then settle back
down again?

If you mean smear horizontally, the tube has been reactivated at some
time, and this occurs when the red gun is driven to its emission
limits. The solution is to boost the heater voltage by say 33%, solves
it for many years.

This morning I switched it on and about 2 mins later there was a bit
of a HT type noise the picture broke up horizontally and it shut
down. I left it off 5 mins and turned it back on (expecting it to be
dead) and it seemed a bit 'grey' and switched itself off 20 mins
later. Turned it back on and it's been on most of the day now and
seems to be back to normal ?

sounds like HT or EHT arcing somewhere. Probably the LOPTF or LOPTR,
or something in the PSU, maybe the TF or power IC. The LOPTR can be
tested out of circuit to see if its shorted C to E. The PSU can
sometimes be tested by removing the TV load and putting a dummy load
on it, like a light bulb. To do that you'd need to defeat the shutdown
protection stuff, as generally the PSU monitors the LOP area of the TV
and shuts down if it detects overcurrent.

Regards, NT
Dave Plowman

Default OT - old Philips TVs, was TV fault - green hue

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Apart from a Philips G8? :-)

Are they *still* around?...

A G6 - now that *was* a set. ;-)

Showing our age a bit now eh Dave?.

I never hide it - rather pointless. ;-)

The G6 was my first colour set, rented from a local company then bought
from them when they gave up. Then heavily modified by myself and a couple
of BBC pals.

Anyone remember the Swedish built K7?, superb pictures and the sound was
something else too!....

A 28" Matchline version of that replaced the G6, and is still in use in
the spare room. It's a fairly late model with the full SMPS which
occasionally shuts down, and defies attempts to find the fault. Repair
kits for this sometimes come up on Ebay, so I'm still looking.

It was piggy-backed onto an order of some 40 monitor only versions bought
by Thames TV for the first series of Strike it Lucky in the '80s, and it's
not that long ago they were thrown out, so a pretty impressive life for a
domestic set bashed around in the studios.

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn