T i m

Default TV fault - green hue

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:33:43 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Red gun probably going down. Not worth fixing since you can generally
pick up S/H or ex rental TV's in good nick for less than teh ciost of
getting a service engineer to take the back off.

For some reason, Sony seem far more prone to this than other makes - and
always the red gun dying which produces 'green' pictures. But a grey scale
re-balance once in a while can keep them going ok for many a year. I
assume modern sets do this automagically.

I've had my 17" Sony 'Monitor style' TV for at least 15 years now.
Fine for the first 6 years then the on/off switch failed and I
repaired it (not replaced notice) myself ;-)

Then the Teletext failed (years later) and I phoned my mate (with his
TV repoair shop now gone) and he said C32 on the XYZ board. I changed
it and all sorted again.

Some years later the HT transfomer went, he got me one and dropped it
round, I removed the old one and my 12 year old daughter soldered it
back in (If she can solder 80 LED's in on a Maplin project, 12 legs on
an HT Transformer would be a doddle!) ;-)

For a while the colours have been going a bit weird .. the red would
'flare up' when there was a lot of red in the frame then settle back
down again?

This morning I switched it on and about 2 mins later there was a bit
of a HT type noise the picture broke up horizontally and it shut
down. I left it off 5 mins and turned it back on (expecting it to be
dead) and it seemed a bit 'grey' and switched itself off 20 mins
later. Turned it back on and it's been on most of the day now and
seems to be back to normal ?

We will have to see what it's like in the morning?

Each time my mate told me what it was over the phone I'd pop 10 or 20
quid into his shop when I next went past. Now he's gone I'm not sure
what the future will bring for the little Sony ;-(

All the best ..

T im