Eric Cartman

Default Is tanalised timber green?

Hi Gang

I will be ordering some timber from my local timber yard to make a
garden bench.

Thinking 2x4 nominal PAR tanalised timber. Now the treated timber
(sawn) at the depots is a horrible green. But is that tanalised or
just weather treated?

I want to stain and varnish this bench so don't want the green stuff!

Cheers

EC
The Natural Philosopher

Eric Cartman wrote:

Hi Gang

I will be ordering some timber from my local timber yard to make a
garden bench.

Thinking 2x4 nominal PAR tanalised timber. Now the treated timber
(sawn) at the depots is a horrible green. But is that tanalised or
just weather treated?

I want to stain and varnish this bench so don't want the green stuff!

Some is, some is more brownish I think.

In time it all goes grey anyway.

Cheers

EC

Eric Cartman

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
Some is, some is more brownish I think.

In time it all goes grey anyway.

Question is then, can I stain on top of these colourings?

EC
Eric Cartman

Dave Plowman wrote in message ...
In article ,
Eric Cartman wrote:

Question is then, can I stain on top of these colourings?

EC

Sawn tanalised can be over painted with the usual fence type
colour/preservative. But PAR isn't suitable for this sort of paint. FWIW,
I've never seen green PAR.

I have had to order it PAR, the timber yard have to place an order for
the PAR as they only stock sawn. Have confirmed it will come in Green
so will have to try some dark stains on it!

At least if I make the bench and it falls to bits after the first
season it was me that did it and not BandQ can't blame anyone then.

Cheers

EC
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Eric Cartman wrote:
I have had to order it PAR, the timber yard have to place an order for
the PAR as they only stock sawn. Have confirmed it will come in Green
so will have to try some dark stains on it!

I'd have thought if it has to be ordered, you could have asked for clear
pressure treated stuff. I *think* tanalised is green purely for easy
identification, and checking how far the treatment has penetrated.

--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
There'll be a mad woman in any minute now to rant on and on about it.
FWIW when cutting any preserved timber or indeed any timber, wear a dust
mask.

Absolutely. And I've modified mine for my fag.

--
*Husbands should come with instructions

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
geoff

In message , Huge
writes
Dave Plowman writes:
In article ,
Eric Cartman wrote:

Question is then, can I stain on top of these colourings?

EC

Sawn tanalised can be over painted with the usual fence type
colour/preservative. But PAR isn't suitable for this sort of paint. FWIW,
I've never seen green PAR.

PAR? In my world, PAR stands for Polished All Round and refers to glass...

Or ... Planed All Round (which is why it's never straight) and refers to
wood
--
geoff

parish

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Eric Cartman wrote:
I have had to order it PAR, the timber yard have to place an order for
the PAR as they only stock sawn. Have confirmed it will come in Green
so will have to try some dark stains on it!

I'd have thought if it has to be ordered, you could have asked for clear
pressure treated stuff. I *think* tanalised is green purely for easy
identification, and checking how far the treatment has penetrated.

The only time I bought tanalised timber it was a *light* brown colour -
about as dark as pine goes after being exposed to sunlight for a couple
of years. I painted it with white microporous paint and it covered with
one coat.

Maybe someone can confirm this but I thought that Tanalising was a
specific process, maybe even a trademark, and therefore not all pressure
treated timber is *tanalised*, it could just be Cuprinol green wood
preservative or similar applied in a pressure vessel.

Oh, and when Tommy Walsh uses tanalised timer on Ground Force it never
looks green.

impvan

Genuinely tanalised timber is always green. Some other treatments can
be brown; both solvent based and stink a bit.

What you need is protimised timber; this doesn't have a colour and
will take any finish. Just had my 14x5 purlins done like this.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Eric Cartman wrote:
So its not sutiable where it comes in contact with surface water, i.e.
after a downpour the top of the table will be under water.

Don't think this is the meaning of surface water. I'd guess they mean
immersed in water on the ground for some time - not merely wet.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Eric Cartman

Eric Cartman wrote:
So its not sutiable where it comes in contact with surface water, i.e.
after a downpour the top of the table will be under water.

Don't think this is the meaning of surface water. I'd guess they mean
immersed in water on the ground for some time - not merely wet.

Hmm possibly. Too late anyway as my tanalised timber is turning up next week!