Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wanted, simple mains powered water pump for garden

Is there such a thing? We just want a simple pump with (probably)
BSP/Hozelock input and output connectors for moving water from one
water butt to another and/or pumping water into the greenhouse.

Doesn't need to be continuous rated, it will only get run for tens of
minutes. Submersible pumps don't fill the bill. Needs to be able to
self prime and lift water a metre or so on the suction side.

You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

Any ideas?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2020 18:50, Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a thing? We just want a simple pump with (probably)
BSP/Hozelock input and output connectors for moving water from one
water butt to another and/or pumping water into the greenhouse.

Doesn't need to be continuous rated, it will only get run for tens of
minutes. Submersible pumps don't fill the bill. Needs to be able to
self prime and lift water a metre or so on the suction side.

You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

Any ideas?

It's not obvious to me why a submersible pump isn't suitable.
Self-priming is no problem provided you fit the pump below the upper
level of the water. Something to be said for having ELV pumps in
gardens, plenty of bilge pumps on eBay.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green explained :
You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

A used central heating pump?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 28/05/2020 18:50, Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a thing? We just want a simple pump with (probably)
BSP/Hozelock input and output connectors for moving water from one
water butt to another and/or pumping water into the greenhouse.

Doesn't need to be continuous rated, it will only get run for tens of
minutes. Submersible pumps don't fill the bill. Needs to be able to
self prime and lift water a metre or so on the suction side.

You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

Any ideas?

It's not obvious to me why a submersible pump isn't suitable.
Self-priming is no problem provided you fit the pump below the upper
level of the water. Something to be said for having ELV pumps in
gardens, plenty of bilge pumps on eBay.

I can't get a submersible pump into the water in many cases, that's
the problem. I think submersible pumps need to be in the water to
keep cool don't they?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
Chris Green explained :
You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

A used central heating pump?

Yes, possibly, but it's not really ideal is it? Surely people (like
me) sometimes want to run a hose out of water butt A, across the
garden and into water butt B (or into containers in the greenhouse).
It's quite likely that electricity isn't available at both ends too,
so a non-submersible pump that can produce a reasonable amount of suck
is needed (not so much that it collapses the hose of course).

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2020 18:50, Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a thing? We just want a simple pump with (probably)
BSP/Hozelock input and output connectors for moving water from one
water butt to another and/or pumping water into the greenhouse.

Doesn't need to be continuous rated, it will only get run for tens of
minutes. Submersible pumps don't fill the bill. Needs to be able to
self prime and lift water a metre or so on the suction side.

You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

Any ideas?

I'm using an old shower pump to boost pressure from our borehole. One
would probably do what you need.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2020 18:50, Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a thing? We just want a simple pump with (probably)
BSP/Hozelock input and output connectors for moving water from one
water butt to another and/or pumping water into the greenhouse.

Doesn't need to be continuous rated, it will only get run for tens of
minutes. Submersible pumps don't fill the bill. Needs to be able to
self prime and lift water a metre or so on the suction side.

You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

Any ideas?

Would it be possible to fit hose connectors at the bottom of the butts
so a pressure washer that can take water from a butt could be used? Lots
of disbenefits - eg size, noise, can't be left installed - but you did
say "any"...

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Fri, 29 May 2020 09:50:20 +0100, Robin wrote:

[...]

I missed the OP but if you are prepared to put some manual work in, what
about
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro...rel-drum-pump/
12532
or even a bilge pump
https://www.amazon.co.uk/720GPH-Manu...lf-priming/dp/
B07H97LX4X

They may give you some ideas even if not ideal for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
On 28/05/2020 18:50, Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a thing? We just want a simple pump with (probably)
BSP/Hozelock input and output connectors for moving water from one
water butt to another and/or pumping water into the greenhouse.

Doesn't need to be continuous rated, it will only get run for tens of
minutes. Submersible pumps don't fill the bill. Needs to be able to
self prime and lift water a metre or so on the suction side.

You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

Any ideas?

I'm using an old shower pump to boost pressure from our borehole. One
would probably do what you need.

If I had an old shower pump then that would work but new ones are
rather expensive.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2020 18:50, Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a thing? We just want a simple pump with (probably)
BSP/Hozelock input and output connectors for moving water from one
water butt to another and/or pumping water into the greenhouse.

Doesn't need to be continuous rated, it will only get run for tens of
minutes. Submersible pumps don't fill the bill. Needs to be able to
self prime and lift water a metre or so on the suction side.

Why do you want it mains powered? Do you have a death wish or something?

You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

Any ideas?

The one I use is a 12v tiny submersible pump originally for a solar
powered fountain by a maker who went bust. It relies on being submerged
for cooling and runs on twelve volts. The solar powered fountain was
useless tat, but the pump was impressive with 5L/minute and 3m head.

Looked something like this but mine is bright orange and still works.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whale-GP1...x/324073870990

I dropped it in a water sump to provide greenhouse irrigation. It is
fine for running 15 minutes every few hours.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2020 09:17, Chris Green wrote:
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
Chris Green explained :
You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

A used central heating pump?

Yes, possibly, but it's not really ideal is it? Surely people (like
me) sometimes want to run a hose out of water butt A, across the
garden and into water butt B (or into containers in the greenhouse).
It's quite likely that electricity isn't available at both ends too,
so a non-submersible pump that can produce a reasonable amount of suck
is needed (not so much that it collapses the hose of course).

Most people put a bucket or watering can under the tap :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 29/05/2020 09:17, Chris Green wrote:
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
Chris Green explained :
You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

A used central heating pump?

Yes, possibly, but it's not really ideal is it? Surely people (like
me) sometimes want to run a hose out of water butt A, across the
garden and into water butt B (or into containers in the greenhouse).
It's quite likely that electricity isn't available at both ends too,
so a non-submersible pump that can produce a reasonable amount of suck
is needed (not so much that it collapses the hose of course).

Most people put a bucket or watering can under the tap :-)

In many cases my water butts are on the ground (OK, bad planning but
that's the way it is), also they mostly don't have taps.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have lots of those squirting water around and above our pond.
However trogging around the garden with a pump, and a 12v supply of
some sort with trailing wires in between isn't my idea of fun. I'm
just after a neater way of handling things.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
Electric drill pumps were what I used to use, just clamp the drill
somewhere a and shove it in the chuck with a hose on each end. Note, good
idea to fit a filter on the input end.

Yes, I'm beginning to think that may be the best solution. The only
downside is that they sort of need 'attention' while they're running.
I guess the thing to do may be to rig up some sort of board with the
pump fixed to it and a way to hold the drill (and keep it switched
on).

They're certainly cheap.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2020 09:17, Chris Green wrote:
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
Chris Green explained :
You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

A used central heating pump?

Yes, possibly, but it's not really ideal is it? Surely people (like
me) sometimes want to run a hose out of water butt A, across the
garden and into water butt B (or into containers in the greenhouse).
It's quite likely that electricity isn't available at both ends too,
so a non-submersible pump that can produce a reasonable amount of suck
is needed (not so much that it collapses the hose of course).

I think your problem is suck, then. Cheap pumps are going to have simple
impellers with a reasonable amount of clearance. You need clearance in
your application otherwise it is going to get stalled by the small
leaves and twigs that are inevitably going to get into water butts. So,
you will need to feed your pump with positive pressure which sounds like
no problem, just put it on the ground next to your water butt and
connect with hozelock connectors. Don't expect them to be able to suck
water out of an underground reservoir such as I had at my last house
(fed by rainwater, feeding to a traditional cast iron hand pump by the
back door).

My mate's brewery mostly runs on things like these, all fed by positive
head.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/indu...rifugal-pumps/

Some of them are described as self-priming but of course they won't have
unlimited "suck".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was wondering when flowrate would get mentioned.

There's hope yet for UK.DIY

AB

On Fri, 29 May 2020 13:45:48 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

[...]

From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2020 10:00, Bev wrote:
[...]

Sounded interesting for a job I may have but sadly Hilka say "This would
NOT be suitable for water" (see Q&A)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2020 16:21, Chris Green wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
Electric drill pumps were what I used to use, just clamp the drill
somewhere a and shove it in the chuck with a hose on each end. Note, good
idea to fit a filter on the input end.

Yes, I'm beginning to think that may be the best solution. The only
downside is that they sort of need 'attention' while they're running.
I guess the thing to do may be to rig up some sort of board with the
pump fixed to it and a way to hold the drill (and keep it switched
on).

They're certainly cheap.

You won't be impressed by the flow rate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Fri, 29 May 2020 20:54:21 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 29/05/2020 10:00, Bev wrote:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro...g-barrel-drum-

pump/
12532

Sounded interesting for a job I may have but sadly Hilka say "This would
NOT be suitable for water" (see Q&A)

I should have read the 'small print'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 May 2020 18:50:58 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Is there such a thing? We just want a simple pump with (probably)
BSP/Hozelock input and output connectors for moving water from one
water butt to another and/or pumping water into the greenhouse.

Doesn't need to be continuous rated, it will only get run for tens of
minutes. Submersible pumps don't fill the bill. Needs to be able to
self prime and lift water a metre or so on the suction side.

You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

Any ideas?

what about a water pump out of a junked washing machine? Might need to
coble some hose connections and fix it in a box of somesort to fingers
and water away from mains, but that's all very DIYish.
I did something similar years ago when I wanted timer controlled water
valve.