Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Wanted, simple mains powered water pump for garden

On 29/05/2020 09:17, Chris Green wrote:
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
Chris Green explained :
You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

A used central heating pump?

Yes, possibly, but it's not really ideal is it? Surely people (like
me) sometimes want to run a hose out of water butt A, across the
garden and into water butt B (or into containers in the greenhouse).
It's quite likely that electricity isn't available at both ends too,
so a non-submersible pump that can produce a reasonable amount of suck
is needed (not so much that it collapses the hose of course).

I think your problem is suck, then. Cheap pumps are going to have simple
impellers with a reasonable amount of clearance. You need clearance in
your application otherwise it is going to get stalled by the small
leaves and twigs that are inevitably going to get into water butts. So,
you will need to feed your pump with positive pressure which sounds like
no problem, just put it on the ground next to your water butt and
connect with hozelock connectors. Don't expect them to be able to suck
water out of an underground reservoir such as I had at my last house
(fed by rainwater, feeding to a traditional cast iron hand pump by the
back door).

My mate's brewery mostly runs on things like these, all fed by positive
head.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/indu...rifugal-pumps/

Some of them are described as self-priming but of course they won't have
unlimited "suck".