Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Wanted, simple mains powered water pump for garden

Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/05/2020 18:50, Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a thing? We just want a simple pump with (probably)
BSP/Hozelock input and output connectors for moving water from one
water butt to another and/or pumping water into the greenhouse.

Doesn't need to be continuous rated, it will only get run for tens of
minutes. Submersible pumps don't fill the bill. Needs to be able to
self prime and lift water a metre or so on the suction side.

Why do you want it mains powered? Do you have a death wish or something?

You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem
to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100,
preferably a lot less).

Any ideas?

The one I use is a 12v tiny submersible pump originally for a solar
powered fountain by a maker who went bust. It relies on being submerged
for cooling and runs on twelve volts. The solar powered fountain was
useless tat, but the pump was impressive with 5L/minute and 3m head.

Looked something like this but mine is bright orange and still works.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whale-GP1...x/324073870990

I dropped it in a water sump to provide greenhouse irrigation. It is
fine for running 15 minutes every few hours.

Yes, I have lots of those squirting water around and above our pond.
However trogging around the garden with a pump, and a 12v supply of
some sort with trailing wires in between isn't my idea of fun. I'm
just after a neater way of handling things.

--
Chris Green
·