Denis Marier

Default Self Powered vs powered sander

I am been using powered sanding with and electric drill.
The disadvantage I have found is that it does not allow me to sand at an
angle.
The 2" self powered Sorby bowl sander features an adjustable angle head.
I am just about to order one. I would use it between the headstock and the
bottom of the bowl
--
Denis
Sprucewood, Rothesay, N.B

I skipped the sorby spinner and bought the woodcraft brand one. so far its worked great.
I use it with velcro backed wave sanding discs. also ran about 20.00 less.

using one of these self powered units makes ya wonder why you used sheet abrasives for so long.

best to all
M.

william_b_noble

you can certainly buy any of the commercial ones, or you can build your
own - There is an article on how to do this in the new wood turning
magazine (by me), or you can look in the tips section of www.woodturners.org
and read what I said there. Personally, I can't see any reason to buy one,
but then again, that's me

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
news
I am been using powered sanding with and electric drill.
The disadvantage I have found is that it does not allow me to sand at an
angle.
The 2" self powered Sorby bowl sander features an adjustable angle head.
I am just about to order one. I would use it between the headstock and

the
bottom of the bowl
--
Denis
Sprucewood, Rothesay, N.B

Denis Marier

Thanks Bill,

I visited www.woodturners.org and got the information.
I will see where I can scrounge bearings and try to make one.
I am eager to try it.

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

william_b_noble

the sleeve will work well - just grease it if it starts to scream. Bearings
are free, you take them off roller skates, roller blades, or razor scooters
that have been abandoned, outgrown, or you get them in a thrift shop for $3.
Even small towns have childeren that outgrow toys. But there is nothing
wrong with a brass sleeve - in fact, you can just bore a hole in the wood
and dip in oil (or wax) and the wood makes a fine bearing - the pressures
are not that high. I used ballbearings because they were handy - I have a
box full of them
"Earl" wrote in message
om...
In my very small town I could find no bearings to make a self powered
sander...new or used. None! Our local small downtown hardware store
suggested a brass sleeve for $1.26. He knew nothing about woodturning
but after explaining what I had in mind he came up with the idea. I
bought a 2" sanding wheel for 2.50, bummed some velcro from my wife
and for $3.76 had a sander. It works great. I know the sleeve won't
last like bearings so if I use it alot I will still be buying
bearings, but for less than a couple cups of espresso who can
complain. And as the guy at the hardware store pointed out, alot of
cheap power tools use sleeves instead of bearings and they last a
reasonable amount of time, so who knows how long it will last...

Earl

Denis Marier

How do we press fit the ball bearings into the wood.
At first, I tough about c'boring on both side of the piece of wood to press
fit the bearings.
Then inserting the 1/4" shaft and securing it with nuts and washers on both
sides. The tough crossed my mind that if I place too much pressure on the
nuts it may prevent the inner ring of the bearings from rolling freely.
Maybe someone can throw some light on the proper way to mount the ball or
oilite bearings.

"Earl" wrote in message
om...
In my very small town I could find no bearings to make a self powered
sander...new or used. None! Our local small downtown hardware store
suggested a brass sleeve for $1.26. He knew nothing about woodturning
but after explaining what I had in mind he came up with the idea. I
bought a 2" sanding wheel for 2.50, bummed some velcro from my wife
and for $3.76 had a sander. It works great. I know the sleeve won't
last like bearings so if I use it alot I will still be buying
bearings, but for less than a couple cups of espresso who can
complain. And as the guy at the hardware store pointed out, alot of
cheap power tools use sleeves instead of bearings and they last a
reasonable amount of time, so who knows how long it will last...

Earl

william_b_noble

well, read my article.

countersink about half of bearing width, use screws, or glue, or press fit
pobably the easist route is to put the bearings into a bored hole, put the
sanding disk shaft through the bearings, and then epoxy the bearings in
place.

"Earl" wrote in message
om...
In my very small town I could find no bearings to make a self powered
sander...new or used. None! Our local small downtown hardware store
suggested a brass sleeve for $1.26. He knew nothing about woodturning
but after explaining what I had in mind he came up with the idea. I
bought a 2" sanding wheel for 2.50, bummed some velcro from my wife
and for $3.76 had a sander. It works great. I know the sleeve won't
last like bearings so if I use it alot I will still be buying
bearings, but for less than a couple cups of espresso who can
complain. And as the guy at the hardware store pointed out, alot of
cheap power tools use sleeves instead of bearings and they last a
reasonable amount of time, so who knows how long it will last...

Earl

Denis Marier

Thanks Bill,
I must have been too anxious and miss your article.
I'll go back and read it.

Denis