Rob V

Default How to make a Self powered sander - Calling Andy C

Hello,

Ive been doing a search on how to make a self powered sander - and saw
several refrences by an AndyC on how he made one - But it really lacked some
detail.

I was curious if he was out there and could provide some more details.

Thanks
-Rob

James Barley

Rob, take a look here...
http://www.members.shaw.ca/jbarley/powerless_sander.htm

Might be what you are looking for.

"Rob V" wrote in message
news
Hello,

Ive been doing a search on how to make a self powered sander - and saw
several refrences by an AndyC on how he made one - But it really lacked

some
detail.

I was curious if he was out there and could provide some more details.

Thanks
-Rob

william_b_noble

look at the one I made in the woodturning section of my web site
(www.home.labridge.com/~wnoble, go to hobbies) or in the tips section of
www.woodturners.org there really isn't much detail required - what do you
need to know

"Rob V" wrote in message
news
Hello,

Ive been doing a search on how to make a self powered sander - and saw
several refrences by an AndyC on how he made one - But it really lacked

some
detail.

I was curious if he was out there and could provide some more details.

Thanks
-Rob

Hi Rob
It was me. Rather then a wood handle I built mine using pvc. First off I
start with the 2" Harbor freight twist on disk holder. I cut my own pads
which I glue to the twist on disks...
The post can be unscrewed and replaced with a bolt. I use a rollerblade
skate bearing (like everyone else) held within a pvc unthreaded female to
threaded female pvc coupling. I cut some spacers sized to match the
diameter of the bearing and the threaded side of the pvc coupling. Then I
take a male threaded pipe cut to the length I need for the depth... usually
about 1.5" left over after the thread... and twist this into the coupling
with the spacer which in turn cinches the bearing. Then thread the bolt
though with a nut up against the rotating part of the bearing on one side..
the holder on the other and lock tighted the disk holder to the bolt. I
then slip the unthreaded side of the pvc coupler into a cut-to-size pvc
pipe. I never need to glue them which allows it to be reconfigured as
needed.
Like almost all turning tools it cannot solve every sanding need... but for
those not too tight spaces on pieces which can be revved up to higher speeds
without flying apart the self powered sander leaves very few of the swirls
seen in powered sanding.
Andy
"Rob V" wrote in message
news
Hello,

Ive been doing a search on how to make a self powered sander - and saw
several refrences by an AndyC on how he made one - But it really lacked

some
detail.

I was curious if he was out there and could provide some more details.

Thanks
-Rob

Herman de Vries

Rob, at www.hdv.net under "Tools and Tips". I've made several sanders
and it's easy. Actually, the first one I made was in 1979 before I even
had a lathe, but that's another story. There's a downloadable file there.

Alternatively, email me at: and I'll send you the file.

) Join WOW - the information is all there.

Herm

"Rob V" wrote in