Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Yard Brush

I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 May 2020 14:47:03 GMT, John wrote:

I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

I think this could make a good doctoral thesis subject.

What are wanting to sweep up?
What surface are you trying to sweep?

Inside on smooth vynl tiles and fine dry dust a 2 to 3" long soft
bristol works well. Same length stiff bristles don't but outside with
saw dust on ridged concrete (as left by the tamper to provide a
little bit of grip) the stiff bristle brush does super job.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

it is promounced yerd brush in Glasgow ....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 May 2020 15:47:07 UTC+1, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

Yes, and it's linked to the Rayleigh damping coefficient of the material, the speed and force of brushing, and the surface material.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 May 2020 17:13:45 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

I think this could make a good doctoral thesis subject.

Been done, at least in part.

https://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?...l.ethos.442887
Dynamics and performance of oscillatory gutter brushes for street sweeping

http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/844307/
A general theory for channel brush design for street sweeping.

John Chew at Surrey seems to be the man to go to for brushes and brush seals

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

it is promounced yerd brush in Glasgow ....

Told you you buggers need subtitles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 28 May 2020 06:59:33 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2020 21:59, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

it is promounced yerd brush in Glasgow ....

Told you you buggers need subtitles.

very true.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7sy10rV-IQ

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

it is promounced yerd brush in Glasgow ....

Told you you buggers need subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXFcxsKcMrI

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

it is promounced yerd brush in Glasgow ....

Told you you buggers need subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXFcxsKcMrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nLz5a8lHmw

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

I've found with brushes the main difference is the bristle material and
their spacing. I recently purchased a a brush with very stiff plastic
bristles and its absolute crap for sweeping. There isn't enough flex in
the bristles and the head tends to skip over the surface.

In addition soft brush for light dry dust and a stiff brush for wet
compacted dirt (unless using a lot of water to help shift the muck)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

it is promounced yerd brush in Glasgow ....

Told you you buggers need subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXFcxsKcMrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFubsxHTApw

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

it is promounced yerd brush in Glasgow ....

Told you you buggers need subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXFcxsKcMrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug83fGYm-YI

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

it is promounced yerd brush in Glasgow ....

Told you you buggers need subtitles.

very true.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7sy10rV-IQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZvCkRox16o
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an
optimum
bristle length - and why?

it is promounced yerd brush in Glasgow ....

Told you you buggers need subtitles.

very true.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7sy10rV-IQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZvCkRox16o

That little kid speaks two languages better than you two do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 May 2020 07:49:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 9:36:12 AM UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

I've found with brushes the main difference is the bristle material and
their spacing. I recently purchased a a brush with very stiff plastic
bristles and its absolute crap for sweeping. There isn't enough flex in
the bristles and the head tends to skip over the surface.

In addition soft brush for light dry dust and a stiff brush for wet
compacted dirt (unless using a lot of water to help shift the muck)

Thats a pull behind brush. No good for pushing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 3:47:07 PM UTC+1, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

Have a look here
http://hgrant-brushmakers.co.uk/category/8/janitorial

Ticks working in the back yard clearing brush Gijs Van Dijk Home Repair 116 January 3rd 17 04:38 PM
Water pipe for yard - PVC OK for city water to yard? Ook Home Repair 15 June 4th 12 03:20 PM
iRobot R3 500 series replacement brush kit (inc. Bristle brush,beater brush, side brush with screw and brush cleaning tool) [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 22nd 09 01:43 PM
Varnished Floor Brush Marks Bob UK diy 9 July 22nd 03 03:45 PM
Foam brush to apply gloss? Eric Cartman UK diy 3 July 12th 03 10:43 AM