DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Yard Brush (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/649850-yard-brush.html)

John May 27th 20 03:47 PM

Yard Brush

I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

Dave Liquorice[_2_] May 27th 20 05:13 PM

Yard Brush

On Wed, 27 May 2020 14:47:03 GMT, John wrote:

I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

I think this could make a good doctoral thesis subject.

What are wanting to sweep up?
What surface are you trying to sweep?

Inside on smooth vynl tiles and fine dry dust a 2 to 3" long soft
bristol works well. Same length stiff bristles don't but outside with
saw dust on ridged concrete (as left by the tamper to provide a
little bit of grip) the stiff bristle brush does super job.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Jim GM4DHJ ... May 27th 20 05:44 PM

Yard Brush

On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

it is promounced yerd brush in Glasgow ....

https://www.avg.com

[email protected] May 27th 20 06:20 PM

Yard Brush

On Wednesday, 27 May 2020 15:47:07 UTC+1, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

Yes, and it's linked to the Rayleigh damping coefficient of the material, the speed and force of brushing, and the surface material.

Owain

[email protected] May 27th 20 06:24 PM

Yard Brush

On Wednesday, 27 May 2020 17:13:45 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

I think this could make a good doctoral thesis subject.

Been done, at least in part.

https://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?...l.ethos.442887
Dynamics and performance of oscillatory gutter brushes for street sweeping

http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/844307/
A general theory for channel brush design for street sweeping.

John Chew at Surrey seems to be the man to go to for brushes and brush seals

Owain

Andrew[_22_] May 27th 20 07:41 PM

Yard Brush

On 27/05/2020 18:20, wrote:
On Wednesday, 27 May 2020 15:47:07 UTC+1, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

Yes, and it's linked to the Rayleigh damping coefficient of the material, the speed and force of brushing, and the surface material.

Owain

And how lazy, or otherwise the apprentice is, since it is usually his
job to sweep up.

John May 27th 20 08:20 PM

Yard Brush

wrote in news:6a550077-d7c5-45eb-b244-
:

Rayleigh damping coefficient

Thanks - I thought there must be a science.

Rod Speed May 27th 20 09:59 PM

Yard Brush

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

it is promounced yerd brush in Glasgow ....

Told you you buggers need subtitles.

Peeler[_4_] May 27th 20 10:21 PM

Lonely Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 28 May 2020 06:59:33 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Jim GM4DHJ ... May 28th 20 09:15 AM

Yard Brush

On 27/05/2020 21:59, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

it is promounced yerd brush in Glasgow ....

Told you you buggers need subtitles.

very true.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7sy10rV-IQ

https://www.avg.com

Jim GM4DHJ ... May 28th 20 09:32 AM

Yard Brush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXFcxsKcMrI

https://www.avg.com

Jim GM4DHJ ... May 28th 20 09:34 AM

Yard Brush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nLz5a8lHmw

https://www.avg.com

alan_m May 28th 20 09:36 AM

Yard Brush

On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

I've found with brushes the main difference is the bristle material and
their spacing. I recently purchased a a brush with very stiff plastic
bristles and its absolute crap for sweeping. There isn't enough flex in
the bristles and the head tends to skip over the surface.

In addition soft brush for light dry dust and a stiff brush for wet
compacted dirt (unless using a lot of water to help shift the muck)

Jim GM4DHJ ... May 28th 20 09:38 AM

Yard Brush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFubsxHTApw

https://www.avg.com

Jim GM4DHJ ... May 28th 20 09:41 AM

Yard Brush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug83fGYm-YI

https://www.avg.com

Jim GM4DHJ ... May 28th 20 01:14 PM

Yard Brush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZvCkRox16o

Rod Speed May 28th 20 10:49 PM

Yard Brush

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an
optimum
bristle length - and why?

it is promounced yerd brush in Glasgow ....

Told you you buggers need subtitles.

very true.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7sy10rV-IQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZvCkRox16o

That little kid speaks two languages better than you two do.

Peeler[_4_] May 28th 20 10:58 PM

Lonely Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 29 May 2020 07:49:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:

fred[_8_] May 30th 20 08:11 AM

Yard Brush

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 9:36:12 AM UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 27/05/2020 15:47, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

I've found with brushes the main difference is the bristle material and
their spacing. I recently purchased a a brush with very stiff plastic
bristles and its absolute crap for sweeping. There isn't enough flex in
the bristles and the head tends to skip over the surface.

In addition soft brush for light dry dust and a stiff brush for wet
compacted dirt (unless using a lot of water to help shift the muck)

Thats a pull behind brush. No good for pushing

fred[_8_] May 30th 20 08:12 AM

Yard Brush

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 3:47:07 PM UTC+1, John wrote:
I think I need a new one - but it got me thinking - is there an optimum
bristle length - and why?

Have a look here
http://hgrant-brushmakers.co.uk/category/8/janitorial