Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old oak or new to rebuild bay windows - how?

I'm removing rotten wood, pine, plaster, foam, car body filler etc from an old bay window.

I'm thinking to replace just the rotten bits, not the whole thing,
copying the shape of the old bits.

I have some old oak beams which could be 100 or 200 or 300 years old,
how hard would this be to cut?

Maybe a new Freud blade for my table saw?

Or buy new oak which would be softer,
but how much would it warp as it drys out?

advice please

Photo and video on my facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/dicegeorge/...58317257739882

George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2020 16:51, George Miles wrote:
I'm removing rotten wood, pine, plaster, foam, car body filler etc from an old bay window.

I'm thinking to replace just the rotten bits, not the whole thing,
copying the shape of the old bits.

I have some old oak beams which could be 100 or 200 or 300 years old,
how hard would this be to cut?

bloody hard. But you can do it.
watch out for nails...

Maybe a new Freud blade for my table saw?

Or buy new oak which would be softer,
but how much would it warp as it drys out?

don't use green oak.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2020 16:51, George Miles wrote:
I'm removing rotten wood, pine, plaster, foam, car body filler etc from an old bay window.

I'm thinking to replace just the rotten bits, not the whole thing,
copying the shape of the old bits.

I have some old oak beams which could be 100 or 200 or 300 years old,
how hard would this be to cut?

Maybe a new Freud blade for my table saw?

Or buy new oak which would be softer,
but how much would it warp as it drys out?

advice please

Photo and video on my facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/dicegeorge/...58317257739882

George

you are lucky that is wet rot ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2020 16:51, George Miles wrote:
I'm removing rotten wood, pine, plaster, foam, car body filler etc from an old bay window.

I'm thinking to replace just the rotten bits, not the whole thing,
copying the shape of the old bits.

I have some old oak beams which could be 100 or 200 or 300 years old,

how hard would this be to cut?

Its harder to work by hand than some other hardwoods, but it machines
nicely.

Maybe a new Freud blade for my table saw?

Try what you have first - you may be surprised.

Or buy new oak which would be softer,

Don't count on it (unless its green, and then not suitable for window
frames). Oak is quite hard and dense.

but how much would it warp as it drys out?

It will likely be kiln dried to a moisture content in the low teens. If
anything it would be likely to get wetter rather than drier in this
application.

advice please

Photo and video on my facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/dicegeorge/...58317257739882

Yup, not much left to patch - so letting in a whole new bit looks
sensible. (and scarf in some new bottom ends to the mullions as well buy
the looks of it).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 1:16:14 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I just replaced the seat and back of an old cast iron garden bench with some reclaimed solid oak wood. Whoops. The cast iron is reacting with the tannin in the oak and giving black stain, but it was such a p.i.t.a. job it can bloody stay that way
Also there is a difference between American Oak and European Oak. The latter is more weather resistant ISTR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just replaced the seat and back of an old cast iron garden bench with some reclaimed solid oak wood. Whoops. The cast iron is reacting with the tannin in the oak and giving black stain, but it was such a p.i.t.a. job it can bloody stay that way
Also there is a difference between American Oak and European Oak. The latter is more weather resistant ISTR

Make sure you use brass fixings, things like steel screws will simply rust away. If using screws always drill correct pilot and clearance holes and drive a steel screw in first before replacing with a brass one. Use a traditional wood screw to form the threads for the brass screw rather than the more modern twin threads and self drilling screws.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2020 10:32, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I just replaced the seat and back of an old cast iron garden bench with some reclaimed solid oak wood. Whoops. The cast iron is reacting with the tannin in the oak and giving black stain, but it was such a p.i.t.a. job it can bloody stay that way
Also there is a difference between American Oak and European Oak. The latter is more weather resistant ISTR

Make sure you use brass fixings, things like steel screws will simply rust away. If using screws always drill correct pilot and clearance holes and drive a steel screw in first before replacing with a brass one. Use a traditional wood screw to form the threads for the brass screw rather than the more modern twin threads and self drilling screws.

Richard

.... or stainless steel, but the same advice applies about running a
regular screw through beforehand - the bu&&ers shear much more easily
than the usual non s/s screws. Once sheared you need to core out the
area around the remains, plug the hole, and drill a slightly-larger
clearance and pilot before using the new screw - a PITA.

Slightly off thread: my plug cutters only work in a pillar drill, are
there any that will work in a hand drill?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2020 16:51, George Miles wrote:
I'm removing rotten wood, pine, plaster, foam, car body filler etc from an old bay window.

I'm thinking to replace just the rotten bits, not the whole thing,
copying the shape of the old bits.

I have some old oak beams which could be 100 or 200 or 300 years old,
how hard would this be to cut?

Maybe a new Freud blade for my table saw?

Or buy new oak which would be softer,
but how much would it warp as it drys out?

advice please

Photo and video on my facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/dicegeorge/...58317257739882

George

Try what's in the shed, it should be OK with sharp tools but, if it's
too cracked, wormed, nailed or hard work then buy some more.
I've recently replaced some oak window sills and needed to buy a final
1.8m length of 80x80 sawn oak to machine down to the right profile.
Quotes from two saw mills were in the region of £54 and £44 for
kiln-dried, but eventually I found a local guy and paid £15 for some
well-seasoned air-dried ... so ask around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2020 09:39, fred wrote:

I just replaced the seat and back of an old cast iron garden bench
with some reclaimed solid oak wood. Whoops. The cast iron is
reacting with the tannin in the oak and giving black stain, but it

Yup, had the problem in the past. Outside the blackness will fade a bit
with time.

was such a p.i.t.a. job it can bloody stay that way Also there is a
difference between American Oak and European Oak. The latter is more
weather resistant ISTR

I have often heard similar, although quite often they are both rated as
"Durable" - so there may not be that much practical difference in many
cases. English oak (rather than just "European") tends to perform very
well in wet service applications (boats in particular) or when in
contact with the ground.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2020 10:55, wrote:
On 25/05/2020 10:32, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I just replaced the seat and back of an old cast iron garden bench
with some reclaimedÂ* solid oak wood. Whoops. The cast iron is
[...]

The main problem is keeping them on centre...

One workaround is to use the plug cutter to make a hole (or a row of
holes) through some 1/2" ply in the pillar drill. Then when wanting to
use the plug cutter free hand, clamp the ply to the stock you want to
make plugs from, and use it to guide the plug cutter.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 May 2020 12:20:55 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/05/2020 10:55, wrote:
On 25/05/2020 10:32, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I just replaced the seat and back of an old cast iron garden bench
with some reclaimedÂ* solid oak wood. Whoops. The cast iron is
reacting with the tannin in the oak and giving black stain, but it
was such a p.i.t.a. job it can bloody stay that way
Also there is a difference between American Oak and European Oak. The
latter is more weather resistant ISTR

Make sure you use brass fixings, things like steel screws will simply
rust away. If using screws always drill correct pilot and clearance
holes and drive a steel screw in first before replacing with a brass
one. Use a traditional wood screw to form the threads for the brass
screw rather than the more modern twin threads and self drilling screws.

Richard

.... or stainless steel, but the same advice applies about running a
regular screw through beforehand - the bu&&ers shear much more easily
than the usual non s/s screws. Once sheared you need to core out the
area around the remains, plug the hole, and drill a slightly-larger
clearance and pilot before using the new screw - a PITA.

Slightly off thread: my plug cutters only work in a pillar drill, are
there any that will work in a hand drill?

The main problem is keeping them on centre...

One workaround is to use the plug cutter to make a hole (or a row of
holes) through some 1/2" ply in the pillar drill. Then when wanting to
use the plug cutter free hand, clamp the ply to the stock you want to
make plugs from, and use it to guide the plug cutter.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

This is what I use for cutting plugs. It's relatively cheap, works as my old support for vertical drilling doesn't take my modern drill.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2020 12:20, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/05/2020 10:55, wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that hadn't occurred to me.
FYI, from a quick look around it seems that there are some cutters out
there with a centre pin, but they seem to be mostly a US thing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Should have also said, another way is if you have a forstner bit of the
same diameter - drill a shallow hole with that first, then follow with
the plug cutter.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Somehow I have a box of metric forstner bits and a box of imperial plug
cutters - c'est la vie :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 10:32:51 AM UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I just replaced the seat and back of an old cast iron garden bench with some reclaimed solid oak wood. Whoops. The cast iron is reacting with the tannin in the oak and giving black stain, but it was such a p.i.t.a. job it can bloody stay that way
Also there is a difference between American Oak and European Oak. The latter is more weather resistant ISTR

Make sure you use brass fixings, things like steel screws will simply rust away. If using screws always drill correct pilot and clearance holes and drive a steel screw in first before replacing with a brass one. Use a traditional wood screw to form the threads for the brass screw rather than the more modern twin threads and self drilling screws.

Richard

The slats were through bolted with stainless steel bolts

rebuild old laptop battery pack--- waste of time or worth it? David Electronics Repair 4 January 19th 17 03:50 AM
nailing green oak to old oak - pilot holes? george - dicegeorge UK diy 4 June 30th 14 06:41 PM
Old oak floor vs. new oak flooring Lynn Woodworking 3 October 31st 06 11:41 PM
Recommendation: New curtain rails - bay windows John Smith UK diy 10 December 8th 05 04:17 PM
bay area (south bay) electrican recommendation [email protected] Home Repair 13 May 12th 05 07:01 AM