Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Old oak or new to rebuild bay windows - how?

On 25/05/2020 10:32, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I just replaced the seat and back of an old cast iron garden bench with some reclaimed solid oak wood. Whoops. The cast iron is reacting with the tannin in the oak and giving black stain, but it was such a p.i.t.a. job it can bloody stay that way
Also there is a difference between American Oak and European Oak. The latter is more weather resistant ISTR

Make sure you use brass fixings, things like steel screws will simply rust away. If using screws always drill correct pilot and clearance holes and drive a steel screw in first before replacing with a brass one. Use a traditional wood screw to form the threads for the brass screw rather than the more modern twin threads and self drilling screws.

Richard

.... or stainless steel, but the same advice applies about running a
regular screw through beforehand - the bu&&ers shear much more easily
than the usual non s/s screws. Once sheared you need to core out the
area around the remains, plug the hole, and drill a slightly-larger
clearance and pilot before using the new screw - a PITA.

Slightly off thread: my plug cutters only work in a pillar drill, are
there any that will work in a hand drill?