Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old oak or new to rebuild bay windows - how?

On Monday, 25 May 2020 20:45:18 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/05/2020 16:07, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 25 May 2020 15:26:50 UTC+1, wrote:
On 25/05/2020 12:20, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/05/2020 10:55, wrote:
On 25/05/2020 10:32, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Slightly off thread: my plug cutters only work in a pillar drill, are
there any that will work in a hand drill?

no, think about how they work

The main problem is keeping them on centre...

One workaround is to use the plug cutter to make a hole (or a row of
holes) through some 1/2" ply in the pillar drill. Then when wanting to
use the plug cutter free hand, clamp the ply to the stock you want to
make plugs from, and use it to guide the plug cutter.

Thanks, that hadn't occurred to me.
FYI, from a quick look around it seems that there are some cutters out
there with a centre pin, but they seem to be mostly a US thing

how would they be functional with a centre pin?

The pin retracts once the cut is started:

https://www.montanabrandtools.com/pr...c-plug-cutters

30 bucks, I got a pillar drill for less than that.

NT