Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Smith

Default Recommendation: New curtain rails - bay windows

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a godo make of curtain rail for a bay window? Anything
I need to consider before buying?

I am thinking of popping over to B&Q for one. I've had nightmares in the
past trying to get them to work properly but, admittedly, I have not bought
a new one for about 15 years so I am out of date re things.

Thanks,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Smith wrote:
Can anyone recommend a godo make of curtain rail for a bay window?
Anything I need to consider before buying?

I am thinking of popping over to B&Q for one. I've had nightmares in the
past trying to get them to work properly but, admittedly, I have not
bought a new one for about 15 years so I am out of date re things.

The best way is to go to a contract furnisher - like a large department
store - and get them to make one for you. They have a device like a pipe
bender to form the metal runners.

Anything you can DIY is likely to be poor and jam.

I got mine made at John Lewis - it's Kirsh heavy duty corded track - and
it's worked well for many a year driven from a curtain motor. It wasn't
very much more than the straight track of the same length.

--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Can anyone recommend a godo make of curtain rail for a bay window?
Anything
I need to consider before buying?

The best way is to buy some finials and brackets. Then buy a 3m length of
15mm copper pipe and bend it to shape with a proper former based pipe
bender. Then paint with hammerite. One bracket in the middle and one at each
end. Cost: about fifteen quid. Appearance: surprisingly good.

Alternative. Find proprietary bay window rail with all the right bits. Cost:
about two hundred pounds. Appearance: awful, with obvious joins at the bends
that the rings snag on.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kalico

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:40:58 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a godo make of curtain rail for a bay window?

Anything
I need to consider before buying?

The best way is to buy some finials and brackets. Then buy a 3m length of
15mm copper pipe and bend it to shape with a proper former based pipe
bender. Then paint with hammerite. One bracket in the middle and one at each
end. Cost: about fifteen quid. Appearance: surprisingly good.

Alternative. Find proprietary bay window rail with all the right bits. Cost:
about two hundred pounds. Appearance: awful, with obvious joins at the bends
that the rings snag on.

Christian.

How do you get the brackets to hold the pipe securely?

More importantly, what brackets and where from?

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

The best way is to buy some finials and brackets.

More importantly, what brackets and where from?

Just use ones designed for curtain rails. Or any others you find in the
hardware section at B&Q.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

John Smith wrote:
Can anyone recommend a godo make of curtain rail for a bay window? Anything
I need to consider before buying?

I am thinking of popping over to B&Q for one. I've had nightmares in the
past trying to get them to work properly but, admittedly, I have not bought
a new one for about 15 years so I am out of date re things.

Have four curtains, one on each outside window, one either side
of the centre window. Use ordinary timber curtain poles and
rings, as below:

o___________________o
/ \
/ \ o = brackets
/ \
o/ \o

Looks nice, works well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil

I got a pole recently from John Lewis dept store. The off the shelf
pole used simply wasnt suitable for the weight of curtains. cost me
£570 but is excellent (they fit it aswell) and should last for a long
time to come. They come out f.o.c to measure angles and the pole is
customer built they even hang the curtains for you.

Hope this helps

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Neil wrote:
I got a pole recently from John Lewis dept store. The off the shelf
pole used simply wasnt suitable for the weight of curtains. cost me
£570 but is excellent (they fit it aswell) and should last for a long
time to come. They come out f.o.c to measure angles and the pole is
customer built they even hang the curtains for you.

£570???? Buy the poles and brackets, you can do a solid job
that looks good for £50.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton

Christian McArdle wrote:
Can anyone recommend a godo make of curtain rail for a bay window?

Anything
I need to consider before buying?

The best way is to buy some finials and brackets. Then buy a 3m length of
15mm copper pipe and bend it to shape with a proper former based pipe
bender. Then paint with hammerite. One bracket in the middle and one at each
end. Cost: about fifteen quid. Appearance: surprisingly good.

Indeed, we did exactly that: http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/house/20040513/

However, given the use of blinds we don't actually draw the curtains so
cannot confidently comment on how well it would run or last under
constant use.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Smith

"John Smith" wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a godo make of curtain rail for a bay window?
Anything I need to consider before buying?

I am thinking of popping over to B&Q for one. I've had nightmares in the
past trying to get them to work properly but, admittedly, I have not
bought a new one for about 15 years so I am out of date re things.

Thanks,

John.

Thanks all. I am shocked by the prices mentioned and that there appears to
be no off the shelf product available. I thought I was going to get
recommendations for makes.

Thanks anyhow,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

"Neil" wrote in message
oups.com...
I got a pole recently from John Lewis dept store. The off the shelf
pole used simply wasnt suitable for the weight of curtains. cost me
£570 but is excellent (they fit it aswell) and should last for a long
time to come. They come out f.o.c to measure angles and the pole is
customer built they even hang the curtains for you.

Yip John Lewis custom made fitted and installed for £620 in a large bay.
Works fine via pull cord and hopefully should last many years.

I think its a 30mm SilentGliss pole, 5.2m long with 4 bends.

This is the 3rd type of rail fitted in 5years, the first 2 types coming from
B&Q (1= Bendy plastic, 2=corded +bends), a complete waste of time, ages to
fit + kept on jamming, meaning you end up putting extra force on the fixings
which then work loose eventually.