Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tips for clean edge between wall and ceiling

Hi All

We had bought paint for a couple of rooms but haven't got around to painting them. The lockdown is currently posing and opportunity to do it... One thing we always struggle with is getting a good clean line between the white ceiling and coloured walls. We have tried the following over the years without much luck
1. Paint ceiling the masking tape ceiling line and paint wall. The tape tended to pull paint off the ceiling, bleed paint and also if the edge undulates a bit hard to tape
2. Used a variety of plastic / metal flat plates to put on the edge and paint up to. Since they are not full length of the wall the line tends to go a bit wonky
3. One of those rollers with the plastic plate between it and the edge. Tends to bleed paint.
4. Freehand- we are no artists and worse of the lot.

Anyone got any cunning tips for this ?

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell Wrote in message:
[...]

As it's not going to be a razorr sharp 90degree corner anyway the
only one worth pursuing is no.4.

Decent brush, decent amount of paint, make it ooze out a bead to
form the edge of the colour & then drag/pull that along the edge
say 6" at a time before recharging brush. Plenty damp cloths
(micro cloth things are great) to remove cockups.

If you get enough paint on from the bead, you won't need to do a
2nd coat anywhere near the edge....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2020 15:47, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We had bought paint for a couple of rooms but haven't got around to painting them. The lockdown is currently posing and opportunity to do it... One thing we always struggle with is getting a good clean line between the white ceiling and coloured walls. We have tried the following over the years without much luck
1. Paint ceiling the masking tape ceiling line and paint wall. The tape tended to pull paint off the ceiling, bleed paint and also if the edge undulates a bit hard to tape
2. Used a variety of plastic / metal flat plates to put on the edge and paint up to. Since they are not full length of the wall the line tends to go a bit wonky
3. One of those rollers with the plastic plate between it and the edge. Tends to bleed paint.
4. Freehand- we are no artists and worse of the lot.

Anyone got any cunning tips for this ?

angled brush and by hand

you first paint up to 4 to 5mm away from the join which gives a paint
reservoir for the second pass where you fill in to the join.

https://youtu.be/-QpdW-l0FRg?t=57

https://www.screwfix.com/p/harris-tr...tbrush-2/5146x

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Put coving up tends to even out undulations in the ceiling/wall join and present a nice straight edge to cut into with a brush. The art to cutting in at corners is to hold the brush at roughly 45deg to the wall with the width of the brush more or less parallel to the direction of painting, start a little away from the edge and as you start the stroke push it towards the edge until you have the bristles In the corner complete the stroke without over-reaching.

In days of yore when people often painted the putty fillet a different colour to the rest of the window woodwork, painters would use a brush where the end of the bristles were cut at an angle a guess at 15deg. This allowed easier painting into corners and although these brushes were quite narrow 3/4 I suppose the same could be applied to a wider brush.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 April 2020 15:47:58 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We had bought paint for a couple of rooms but haven't got around to painting them. The lockdown is currently posing and opportunity to do it... One thing we always struggle with is getting a good clean line between the white ceiling and coloured walls. We have tried the following over the years without much luck
1. Paint ceiling the masking tape ceiling line and paint wall. The tape tended to pull paint off the ceiling, bleed paint and also if the edge undulates a bit hard to tape
2. Used a variety of plastic / metal flat plates to put on the edge and paint up to. Since they are not full length of the wall the line tends to go a bit wonky
3. One of those rollers with the plastic plate between it and the edge. Tends to bleed paint.
4. Freehand- we are no artists and worse of the lot.

Anyone got any cunning tips for this ?

Masking tape comes in a range of "stickyness" for different jobs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masking_tape#Usage

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Coving helps, better still that and a picture rail :-)

However, I find it looks best if the wall colour ends a few mm short of
the ceiling and is level all round, then the ceiling colour covers the
ceiling and the top few mm of the walls - that hides any unevenness of
the ceiling height. So paint either in order, but once the wall is done,
apply low tack masking tape to the wall with its top edge just shy of
the ceiling, and then paint the "corner" between ceiling and wall.

Note that in large rooms, you may find that the ceiling will sag along
the run of the joists - perhaps an inch or more across the span - so the
wall colour line, will need to roughly follow that sag rather than be
truly level (just in case you were thinking of laying out the tap with a
laser level!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Tape and gizzmos don't work IME.
Make sure to paint slightly down the wall when you do the ceiling,
assuming you do that first.
I find the newer-style "pencil" brushes (there's probably a better name
for them) work better than the angled cutting-in brushes. Also, when
doing the walls have the brush at somewhere near to right angles to the
ceiling, rather than nearly parallel - counter-intuitive but I find it
gives better control of the line.
Better than all of this is to get SWMBO to do it while you get-on with
doing some manly DIY ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2020 15:47, Lee Nowell wrote:

Anyone got any cunning tips for this ?

Cutting in?

We reboarded the walls and ceiling in a room recently, so *did* have a
90 degree edge to deal with.

The missus and I both had a do at it, varying results, i'm nowhere near
100% happy with it.

My tip is to lower your expectations and appreciate that it will be
better than it was before
(Because when all is said and done, i've never seen a professional job
i'm 100% happy with either)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2020 16:50, R D S wrote:
On 16/04/2020 15:47, Lee Nowell wrote:

Anyone got any cunning tips for this ?

Cutting in?

We reboarded the walls and ceiling in a room recently, so *did* have a
90 degree edge to deal with.

decorators caulk will fillet that.

I find a radius there makes it easier

But small brush and patience.

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

FWLIW I've found masking tape only helps if it is first painted with the
"wrong" colour to seal the edge - so if painting the wall, the colour
used on the ceiling. When that bleeds through it's the "right" colour
for that side of the line. Downsides include that it may take an extra
coat to cover the "wrong" colour.

But to be honest these days I just lower my expectations.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2020 16:41, harry wrote:

Masking tape comes in a range of "stickyness" for different jobs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masking_tape#Usage

And often having a short shelf life before it degrades.

Unfortunately some of the low tack tape allows paint to bleed behind it
and especially if the surface that it applied to is not perfectly smooth.

I had a roll of low tack masking tape which I used once and then left on
the shelf for 6 months. During this time it morphed into one solid mass.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2020 16:50, R D S wrote:
On 16/04/2020 15:47, Lee Nowell wrote:

Anyone got any cunning tips for this ?

Cutting in?

We reboarded the walls and ceiling in a room recently, so *did* have a
90 degree edge to deal with.

decorators caulk will fillet that.

I find a radius there makes it easier

But small brush and patience.

I find a large angled brush better. It has to be a good quality brush
that holds paint well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 07:47:54 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell
wrote:

Anyone got any cunning tips for this ?

This or its brothers:

Edge Trimmer Paint Pad for Ceilings & Trim
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VEB1J2C

Load the pad up well, set to paint 1/4" from the edge, paint. Repeat with the
pad set closer to the edge, with rather less paint. Once you get paint on the
rollers, remove the pad, clean the roller bit, replace the pad.

Yeah, it's a bit of a nuisance, but the results are good, unless you find that
accurately tracking the ceiling leads to an edge that looks off. Do not let the
wheels track holes and dips in the ceiling...

Alternatively: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maulstick

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2020 16:33, alan_m wrote:

angled brush and by hand

you first paint up to 4 to 5mm away from the join which gives a paint
reservoir for the second pass where you fill in to the join.

https://youtu.be/-QpdW-l0FRg?t=57

https://www.screwfix.com/p/harris-tr...tbrush-2/5146x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZRBg1tc9_I

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I find a radius there makes it easier

Do you? That never occurred.

It must depend where people's skills lie because I read one tip that was
to score into the corner, leaving a small void.

Anyway what i've found after the job i'm mildly embarrassed by is that
i've started to forget to keep looking up and obsessing about it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2020 16:36, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Put coving up tends to even out undulations in the ceiling/wall join and present a nice straight edge to cut into with a brush. The art to cutting in at corners is to hold the brush at roughly 45deg to the wall with the width of the brush more or less parallel to the direction of painting, start a little away from the edge and as you start the stroke push it towards the edge until you have the bristles In the corner complete the stroke without over-reaching.

In days of yore when people often painted the putty fillet a different colour to the rest of the window woodwork, painters would use a brush where the end of the bristles were cut at an angle a guess at 15deg. This allowed easier painting into corners and although these brushes were quite narrow 3/4 I suppose the same could be applied to a wider brush.

Richard

1. Use a plasters float to protect the ceiling or wall that
you don't want to paint.

2. Do the edge carefully with 1 to 2 inch brush, then slap the
roller over the rest of the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2020 16:45, John Rumm wrote:
Coving helps, better still that and a picture rail :-)

And paint the bit above the picture rail, the same colour
as the ceiling !.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2020 16:48, wrote:
[...]

But she might just get a manly bloke in to do it !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2020 13:30, Andrew wrote:
On 16/04/2020 16:45, John Rumm wrote:
Coving helps, better still that and a picture rail :-)

And paint the bit above the picture rail, the same colour
as the ceiling !.

Oh yes! (and if you have tall rooms, it makes the room seem better
proportioned as well)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2020 09:58, R D S wrote:

I find a radius there makes it easier

Do you? That never occurred.

It must depend where people's skills lie because I read one tip that was
to score into the corner, leaving a small void.

Anyway what i've found after the job i'm mildly embarrassed by is that
i've started to forget to keep looking up and obsessing about it!

One of the "advantages" of varifocal lenses being unable to focus close
up on stuff above your head!

(I sometimes have to resort to dedicated reading glasses for things like
wiring ceiling roses these days)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 13:05:45 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:

Use coving and make it less obvious!

Still going to have paint line somewhere though?

One thing we always struggle with is getting a good clean line between
the white ceiling and coloured walls.

Paint ceiling first, and the top couple of inches of wall. Dia of
roller used to paint ceiling in reality, brush out the walls to give
and even surface, no gobs of paint from the roller end.

Walls, use a behind radiator roller to paint the top 4" or so of the
wall getting as close to the ceiling as you dare. This band of
painted wall enables bulk of the wall to be painted without having to
worry too much about getting close to the ceiling with a big roller.

I'm afraid that free hand with a synthetic bristle cutting in brush
is the only way to get a decent line. Needs to be fairly well loaded,
apply paint to wall just below where you want to line up to the
ceiling the use a horizontal but slowly heading towards the ceiling
movement of the brush to push the paint into a small "bow wave" and
edge into the corner. It's wall paint on the ceiling that really
stands out, a little white on the wall doesn't show as much.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2020 17:36, Robin wrote:
[...]

ISTR that frog tape was supposed to be more resistant to bleeding at the
edges...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2020 22:59, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

A bit green and slimy, I'd have thought. The French sort is toad'ly
different.
Sorry, insanity setting-in! Hat, coat ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 18 April 2020 11:40:47 UTC+1, wrote:
On 17/04/2020 22:59, John Rumm wrote:

ISTR that frog tape was supposed to be more resistant to bleeding at the
edges...

A bit green and slimy, I'd have thought. The French sort is toad'ly
different.
Sorry, insanity setting-in! Hat, coat ...

wartch your language.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2020 11:40, wrote:
[...]

Just be careful not to ribbet off too quick...

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |