Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Tips for clean edge between wall and ceiling

On 16/04/2020 17:36, Robin wrote:
On 16/04/2020 15:47, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We had bought paint for a couple of rooms but haven't got around to
painting them. The lockdown is currently posing and opportunity to do
it... One thing we always struggle with is getting a good clean line
between the white ceiling and coloured walls.Â* We have tried the
following over the years without much luck
1. Paint ceiling the masking tape ceiling line and paint wall. The
tape tended to pull paint off the ceiling, bleed paint and also if the
edge undulates a bit hard to tape
2. Used a variety of plastic / metal flat plates to put on the edge
and paint up to. Since they are not full length of the wall the line
tends to go a bit wonky
3. One of those rollers with the plastic plate between it and the
edge. Tends to bleed paint.
4. Freehand- we are no artists and worse of the lot.

Anyone got any cunning tips for this ?

FWLIW I've found masking tape only helps if it is first painted with the
"wrong" colour to seal the edge - so if painting the wall, the colour
used on the ceiling.Â* When that bleeds through it's the "right" colour
for that side of the line.Â* Downsides include that it may take an extra
coat to cover the "wrong" colour.

ISTR that frog tape was supposed to be more resistant to bleeding at the
edges...

--
Cheers,

John.