Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Tips for clean edge between wall and ceiling

On 16/04/2020 15:47, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We had bought paint for a couple of rooms but haven't got around to painting them. The lockdown is currently posing and opportunity to do it... One thing we always struggle with is getting a good clean line between the white ceiling and coloured walls. We have tried the following over the years without much luck
1. Paint ceiling the masking tape ceiling line and paint wall. The tape tended to pull paint off the ceiling, bleed paint and also if the edge undulates a bit hard to tape
2. Used a variety of plastic / metal flat plates to put on the edge and paint up to. Since they are not full length of the wall the line tends to go a bit wonky
3. One of those rollers with the plastic plate between it and the edge. Tends to bleed paint.
4. Freehand- we are no artists and worse of the lot.

Anyone got any cunning tips for this ?

Thanks

Lee.

Tape and gizzmos don't work IME.
Make sure to paint slightly down the wall when you do the ceiling,
assuming you do that first.
I find the newer-style "pencil" brushes (there's probably a better name
for them) work better than the angled cutting-in brushes. Also, when
doing the walls have the brush at somewhere near to right angles to the
ceiling, rather than nearly parallel - counter-intuitive but I find it
gives better control of the line.
Better than all of this is to get SWMBO to do it while you get-on with
doing some manly DIY ;-)