Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Tips for clean edge between wall and ceiling

On 16/04/2020 15:47, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We had bought paint for a couple of rooms but haven't got around to painting them. The lockdown is currently posing and opportunity to do it... One thing we always struggle with is getting a good clean line between the white ceiling and coloured walls. We have tried the following over the years without much luck
1. Paint ceiling the masking tape ceiling line and paint wall. The tape tended to pull paint off the ceiling, bleed paint and also if the edge undulates a bit hard to tape
2. Used a variety of plastic / metal flat plates to put on the edge and paint up to. Since they are not full length of the wall the line tends to go a bit wonky
3. One of those rollers with the plastic plate between it and the edge. Tends to bleed paint.
4. Freehand- we are no artists and worse of the lot.

Anyone got any cunning tips for this ?

Coving helps, better still that and a picture rail :-)

However, I find it looks best if the wall colour ends a few mm short of
the ceiling and is level all round, then the ceiling colour covers the
ceiling and the top few mm of the walls - that hides any unevenness of
the ceiling height. So paint either in order, but once the wall is done,
apply low tack masking tape to the wall with its top edge just shy of
the ceiling, and then paint the "corner" between ceiling and wall.

Note that in large rooms, you may find that the ceiling will sag along
the run of the joists - perhaps an inch or more across the span - so the
wall colour line, will need to roughly follow that sag rather than be
truly level (just in case you were thinking of laying out the tap with a
laser level!)

--
Cheers,

John.