Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Close coupled bog...

I'm having my first experience of a close coupled cistern/pan, must have
escaped them until now.

There's a foam 'doughnut' between the two, I presume i'm fastening the
cistern and pan together until that is squashed and the ceramic parts
are in contact?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2020 10:51, R D S wrote:

I'm having my first experience of a close coupled cistern/pan, must have
escaped them until now.

There's a foam 'doughnut' between the two, I presume i'm fastening the
cistern and pan together until that is squashed and the ceramic parts
are in contact?

just watch there are foam doughnuts and there are foam doughnuts trial
and error as to what type works for you.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in
:

On 21/03/2020 10:51, R D S wrote:

I'm having my first experience of a close coupled cistern/pan, must
have escaped them until now.

There's a foam 'doughnut' between the two, I presume i'm fastening
the cistern and pan together until that is squashed and the ceramic
parts are in contact?

just watch there are foam doughnuts and there are foam doughnuts trial
and error as to what type works for you.....

There is a spigot on the cistern as well isn't there?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote in
.222:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in
:

On 21/03/2020 10:51, R D S wrote:

I'm having my first experience of a close coupled cistern/pan, must
have escaped them until now.

There's a foam 'doughnut' between the two, I presume i'm fastening
the cistern and pan together until that is squashed and the ceramic
parts are in contact?

just watch there are foam doughnuts and there are foam doughnuts trial
and error as to what type works for you.....

There is a spigot on the cistern as well isn't there?

Sorry - perhaps not
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2020 10:59, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 21/03/2020 10:51, R D S wrote:

I'm having my first experience of a close coupled cistern/pan, must
have escaped them until now.

There's a foam 'doughnut' between the two, I presume i'm fastening the
cistern and pan together until that is squashed and the ceramic parts
are in contact?

just watch there are foam doughnuts and there are foam doughnuts trial
and error as to what type works for you.....

Yes, if you have to change the doughnut you really need a selection. I
had to cut one I bought on ebay down to size. The original no longer
worked properly after I took the cistern off to change the siphon.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2020 10:51, R D S wrote:

I'm having my first experience of a close coupled cistern/pan, must
have escaped them until now.

There's a foam 'doughnut' between the two, I presume i'm fastening
the cistern and pan together until that is squashed and the ceramic
parts are in contact?

just watch there are foam doughnuts and there are foam doughnuts trial
and error as to what type works for you.....

Yes, if you have to change the doughnut you really need a selection. I
had to cut one I bought on ebay down to size.Â* The original no longer
worked properly after I took the cistern off to change the siphon.

some are too thick some are too thin some are made out of kahoochie some
are ok....hate when I have to fart about with close coupled suits then
again low level are not much better with the seal problems....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2020 13:15, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 21/03/2020 11:35, John wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in
:

On 21/03/2020 10:51, R D S wrote:

I'm having my first experience of a close coupled cistern/pan, must
have escaped them until now.

There's a foam 'doughnut' between the two, I presume i'm fastening
the cistern and pan together until that is squashed and the ceramic
parts are in contact?

just watch there are foam doughnuts and there are foam doughnuts trial
and error as to what type works for you.....

There is a spigot on the cistern as well isn't there?

em...no

There *is*, in effect, a spigot created by the threaded part of the
syphon which protrudes through the bottom of the cistern. The doughnut
fits round that, and is located by it.

The nut on the syphon also retains a metal plate which has a bolt at
either end for attaching the cistern to the pan and compressing the
doughnut.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2020 22:26, Roger Mills wrote:
On 21/03/2020 13:15, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 21/03/2020 11:35, John wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in
:

On 21/03/2020 10:51, R D S wrote:

I'm having my first experience of a close coupled cistern/pan, must
have escaped them until now.

There's a foam 'doughnut' between the two, I presume i'm fastening
the cistern and pan together until that is squashed and the ceramic
parts are in contact?

just watch there are foam doughnuts and there are foam doughnuts trial
and error as to what type works for you.....

There is a spigot on the cistern as well isn't there?

em...no

There *is*, in effect, a spigot created by the threaded part of the
syphon which protrudes through the bottom of the cistern. The doughnut
fits round that, and is located by it.

The nut on the syphon also retains a metal plate which has a bolt at
either end for attaching the cistern to the pan and compressing the
doughnut.

oh right

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Michael Chare
writes
On 21/03/2020 10:51, R D S wrote:

I'm having my first experience of a close coupled cistern/pan, must
have escaped them until now.

There's a foam 'doughnut' between the two, I presume i'm fastening
the cistern and pan together until that is squashed and the ceramic
parts are in contact?

just watch there are foam doughnuts and there are foam doughnuts
trial and error as to what type works for you.....

Yes, if you have to change the doughnut you really need a selection. I
had to cut one I bought on ebay down to size. The original no longer
worked properly after I took the cistern off to change the siphon.

Lie wise. The one supplied with the syphon had to be cut, as indeed the
original had been.
--
bert