Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Close coupled bog cistern - knackered bolts

Preemptive question before anyone touches anything:

Those 2 bolts that clamp a close coupled bog cistern down onto the
doughnut washer onto the bog - are they generally replaceable?

Such as if they are rusted to buggery and the cistern has to come off to
facilitate repair of the flush mechanism?

I'm sure someone was happy to save 50p by not using stainless steel!

Cheers :-o

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Preemptive question before anyone touches anything:

Those 2 bolts that clamp a close coupled bog cistern down onto the
doughnut washer onto the bog - are they generally replaceable?

Such as if they are rusted to buggery and the cistern has to come off to
facilitate repair of the flush mechanism?

I'm sure someone was happy to save 50p by not using stainless steel!

Never quite understood why some do it like that. My ancient Ideal Standard
has brackets as part of the porcelain body so the fixing bolts ain't in
water.

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Preemptive question before anyone touches anything:

Those 2 bolts that clamp a close coupled bog cistern down onto the
doughnut washer onto the bog - are they generally replaceable?

Such as if they are rusted to buggery and the cistern has to come off to
facilitate repair of the flush mechanism?

I'm sure someone was happy to save 50p by not using stainless steel!

Never quite understood why some do it like that. My ancient Ideal Standard
has brackets as part of the porcelain body so the fixing bolts ain't in
water.

Neither are these - but it seems that condensation or weepage over the
years have done at least one side in!

These are underneath notionally in the dry open air...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Never quite understood why some do it like that. My ancient Ideal
Standard has brackets as part of the porcelain body so the fixing
bolts ain't in water.

Neither are these - but it seems that condensation or weepage over the
years have done at least one side in!

Ah - a mate has a B&Q one where the bolts go through the bottom of the
cistern. And not surprisingly have leaked.

These are underneath notionally in the dry open air...

Mine are brass and have survived well.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2014 19:00, Tim Watts wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Preemptive question before anyone touches anything:

Those 2 bolts that clamp a close coupled bog cistern down onto the
doughnut washer onto the bog - are they generally replaceable?

Such as if they are rusted to buggery and the cistern has to come off to
facilitate repair of the flush mechanism?

Depending on type buy a kit for under £4
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ing+Kit/p85615

Or new bolts
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...tor+Kit/p51104

and a doughnut
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...+Washer/p39353

I'm sure someone was happy to save 50p by not using stainless steel!

Never quite understood why some do it like that. My ancient Ideal
Standard
has brackets as part of the porcelain body so the fixing bolts ain't in
water.

Neither are these - but it seems that condensation or weepage over the
years have done at least one side in!

These are underneath notionally in the dry open air...

They attract condensation. Cistern full of cold water attracts it,
bolts are the lowest point.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Preemptive question before anyone touches anything:

Those 2 bolts that clamp a close coupled bog cistern down onto the
doughnut washer onto the bog - are they generally replaceable?

Such as if they are rusted to buggery and the cistern has to come
off to
facilitate repair of the flush mechanism?

Depending on type buy a kit for under £4
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ing+Kit/p85615

Or new bolts
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...tor+Kit/p51104

and a doughnut
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...+Washer/p39353

Oh - so *that's* how they work...

Thanks Now I know there's a solution. I was afraid the bolts would be
irreplaceable of something horrible.

They attract condensation. Cistern full of cold water attracts it,
bolts are the lowest point.....

Seems the likliest - bog in question is about 12-15 years old.

Thanks again - Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Never quite understood why some do it like that. My ancient Ideal
Standard has brackets as part of the porcelain body so the fixing
bolts ain't in water.

Neither are these - but it seems that condensation or weepage over the
years have done at least one side in!

Ah - a mate has a B&Q one where the bolts go through the bottom of the
cistern. And not surprisingly have leaked.

These are underneath notionally in the dry open air...

Mine are brass and have survived well.

I thought these things come as a kit, with a clamping plate? Like this
http://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/Fl...e-Coupling-Kit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2014 18:30, Tim Watts wrote:
Preemptive question before anyone touches anything:

Those 2 bolts that clamp a close coupled bog cistern down onto the
doughnut washer onto the bog - are they generally replaceable?

Usually - normally just bolts and some conical rubber washers to form a
seal where they penetrate the cistern.

Such as if they are rusted to buggery and the cistern has to come off to
facilitate repair of the flush mechanism?

I'm sure someone was happy to save 50p by not using stainless steel!

That's been counters for you ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

close coupled cistern bolts Fred UK diy 17 June 1st 10 09:21 PM
leaking close-coupled cistern paul UK diy 5 August 28th 09 07:02 PM
Close Coupled Cistern Sunset UK diy 1 September 4th 06 12:01 PM
Close coupled cistern installation Paul Andrews UK diy 7 September 9th 05 12:36 PM
Close Coupled Toilet Cistern Keith Abbott UK diy 0 March 16th 05 07:44 PM