Paul Andrews

Default Close coupled cistern installation

I have a close-coupled toilet. The cistern naturally enough sits on the
toilet but has no screw holes for attachment to the wall. Should it be left
sitting or should something like silicon be applied to the rear surface to
form a bond with the wall? or... ?

Thanks,

Paul

My one I installed a few weeks back is left sitting and is fine, just
make sure the wingnuts are tight which bolt it to the pan and you
should be fine. You could however as you suggest use a blob of silicone
or gripfill it to the back of the wall. I would be worried about the
state the wall would be left in though if I had to remove it at a
later date.

Cheers

Richard

Paul Andrews

Thanks Richard.

Seri

Due to my soil pipe mine was about 2cm away from the wall when I
installed it. Knowing how rough some of our house guest can be in their
actions I fixed a small strip of wood to the back wall the width of the
gap to absorb any sudden impacts against the cistern. If mounted at
about 2 thirds of the way up the cistern then it's not easily visible
and painting it white also helped it to blend in.

Seri

John

"Paul Andrews" wrote in message
I have a close-coupled toilet. The cistern naturally enough sits on the
toilet but has no screw holes for attachment to the wall. Should it be
left
sitting or should something like silicon be applied to the rear surface to
form a bond with the wall? or... ?

Thanks,

Paul

It's not a Madrid suite from Been & Queued is it? I have just installed one
of these for someone and the cistern did not have any holes to fix it to the
wall. I have never seen a cistern before without these holes, and I have
installed/repaired 100's. I rang B & Q as I thought it might be a faulty
one to be told by the 'bathroom consultant' that "On the budget suites there
aren't any holes, you stick it to the wall with silicon". I asked how it
would be removed if needed i.e. doughnut washer change, or if it leaked
after installation etc. to which he replied "I've never thought of that". I
also pointed out that on the 'budget' suites you were actually getting more
porcelain for you money, i.e. no holes, but that went straight over his
head!

I needed some fixing holes so decided to drill it, even with good quality
tile drills and masonry bits two 8mm holes took nearly 2 hours! I have
never drilled anything as hard as that before in my life! You could try
this but go VERY SLOWLY and keep allowing the drills to cool down. If you
can get the surface you are drilling somewhat horizontally level you could
put a ring of putty around the drill site and put some oil (or water) in
there to help the cutting and cooling process

John

Brian Sharrock

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, John ... you haven't done the bean-counters' course ...
"Holes" is extra: 'holes' have to obtained from stores as
raw stock; turned to the appropriate diameter, then cut-off
to the appropriate thickness before being carefully aligned
and inserted nto the porcelain ... .[There's much generation of
store-cards, movement orders and Inspectors' chitties too].
You want hole? ... you've got to pay for them.

I needed some fixing holes so decided to drill it, even with good quality
tile drills and masonry bits two 8mm holes took nearly 2 hours! I have
never drilled anything as hard as that before in my life! You could try
this but go VERY SLOWLY and keep allowing the drills to cool down. If you
can get the surface you are drilling somewhat horizontally level you could
put a ring of putty around the drill site and put some oil (or water) in
there to help the cutting and cooling process

See; you've just confirmed how difficult it must be to get the
'holes' inserted ... (of course, one could just leave out the clay -
but that's require thought -which is probably not part of 'Design &
Technology' syllabi nowadays}

--

Brian

Tony Bryer

In article , John wrote:
It's not a Madrid suite from Been & Queued is it? I have just installed one
of these for someone and the cistern did not have any holes to fix it to the
wall. I have never seen a cistern before without these holes, and I have
installed/repaired 100's. I rang B & Q as I thought it might be a faulty
one to be told by the 'bathroom consultant' that "On the budget suites there
aren't any holes, you stick it to the wall with silicon". I asked how it
would be removed if needed i.e. doughnut washer change, or if it leaked
after installation etc. to which he replied "I've never thought of that".

I've got the same. The weight is taken by the pan so you only need a couple of
small dabs to silicon to steady the cistern which can be easily cut through
with a piece of wire or similar if necessary.

The problem I've got to fix is with the push button flush. You screw the button
part in without tightening it. A month later a combination of water, surface
tension etc now makes it irremovable without removing the cistern from the pan.
When I do it I'll probably file off most of the thread and reassemble with
silicon grease.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Set Square

Paul Andrews wrote:

I have a close-coupled toilet. The cistern naturally enough sits on
the toilet but has no screw holes for attachment to the wall. Should
it be left sitting or should something like silicon be applied to the
rear surface to form a bond with the wall? or... ?

Thanks,

Paul

I think that if I were faced with that situation, I would make a couple of
cranked brackets - to be screwed to the wall just above the body of the
cistern, and which extended over the top of back, and just down inside.
These would be completely hidden by the lid.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Toilet Cistern John UK diy 4 December 3rd 04 11:02 PM
Are all loos this wobbly? John Rumm UK diy 4 October 26th 04 02:13 PM
Neanderthal-style Shelf Installation (long) Patrick Olguin Woodworking 11 April 5th 04 03:39 AM
weatherproofing new window installation ezalpha Home Repair 4 September 6th 03 12:17 PM
URGENT: A contractor situation -- Recess installation of Tub + "Lawyer?" Blume Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 09:44 PM