Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default back to wall close coupled bog fixing blues

Got a back to wall "designer" bog to fit - type where you fix two
brackets to floor first then (when bog in position), two screws put
through cast *horizontal* holes in each side of pedestal and these
screw into the brackets (now hidden on the inside of pedestal).

No brackets or instructions supplied.

Brackets (Fischer kit from screwfix) are angled the wrong way but I
expect I can mangle em to suit HOWEVER:- one would expect that you
would fix brackets to floor etc then slide the bog back and engage the
waste pipe properly, then insert the side retaining screws etc as
above
BUT
the rear (wall) face of the pedestal ceramic has flanges protruding at
the rear such that if you fixed the brackets to the floor where you'd
think they'd need to be (i.e. sat neatly and fairly snugly on the
inside of the holes ready for the retaining screws) you can't slide
the bog past them....

Any thoughts anyone? bog is a RAK Reserva close coupled jobby

http://www.qssupplies.co.uk/images/A...-26-39-140.jpg

TIA
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
[...]

We have a similar unit in our annex. Didn't install it myself but did unpack
it for Now then Nigel (the plumber) and it had a template with it that had
to be used to line everything up.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
[...]

Could the bracket be fitted to the wall behind rather than the floor?
Alternatively, can you bend the bracket so that it has two "swan necks" at
each end to clear the flanges?

Seems odd that the toilet didn't come with its own fixing brackets

A photo of the inside of the back of the pan would be helpful.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 21, 2:55 pm, "Tim Downie" wrote:
Jim K wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure it's to be floor anchored - it's quite "front
heavy" (see pic link)

brackets are tough nylon I don't think I could do more than chnage the
(one) angle of them a bit..

Seems odd that the toilet didn't come with its own fixing brackets

it's a re-use, recycle job

A photo of the inside of the back of the pan would be helpful.

will see if i can....

ta
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
[...]

I installed a very similar loo to this when I re-did our bathroom three
years ago.

(http://www.nocode.co.uk/pdf-2011/igloo.pdf)

Mine also had an inner lip at the bottom of the base that prevented the
floor brackets from fitting snugly against the inside of the loo base. My
loo came with the brackets and a positioning template so there have been no
problems.

I was somewhat uncomfortable about sliding the loo back onto the waste pipe
'blind' because I could not see whether it had seated correctly. It took a
few flushes without water seeping out from underneath the base before I was
satisfied that an effective seal had been made!

Far neater than most 'ordinary' loos however - because both the waste pipe
and the incoming water pipe are concealed.

--
Triff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 21, 4:48 pm, "Triffid" wrote:
Jim K wrote:
[...]

Do you recall what shape the brackets were and where they were
attached?(floor/wall)

Or if floor mounted how far from the inside face of the "pedestal"
were they?

I was somewhat uncomfortable about sliding the loo back onto the waste pipe
'blind' because I could not see whether it had seated correctly.

I think I have that sorted (rigid waste pipe pre-lined up ;))

It took a
few flushes without water seeping out from underneath the base before I was
satisfied that an effective seal had been made!

;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2011 14:03, Jim K wrote:
Got a back to wall "designer" bog to fit - type where you fix two
brackets to floor first then (when bog in position), two screws put
through cast *horizontal* holes in each side of pedestal and these
screw into the brackets (now hidden on the inside of pedestal).

No brackets or instructions supplied.

PITA these things.

Brackets (Fischer kit from screwfix) are angled the wrong way but I
expect I can mangle em to suit HOWEVER:- one would expect that you
would fix brackets to floor etc then slide the bog back and engage the
waste pipe properly, then insert the side retaining screws etc as
above
BUT
the rear (wall) face of the pedestal ceramic has flanges protruding at
the rear such that if you fixed the brackets to the floor where you'd
think they'd need to be (i.e. sat neatly and fairly snugly on the
inside of the holes ready for the retaining screws) you can't slide
the bog past them....

I done two & in both cases the pan had to be lifted up & over the brackets.

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
[...]

The brackets were white nylon and right-angled for floor mounting. If my
memory serves me correctly, there was a single screw hole for screwing down
into the floor - and numerous holes in the 'upright' part so that the screw
put in through the side of loo base would align with at least one hole. The
brackets were quite substantial and stiff and didn't bend. I would estimate
that the upright part was about 1/2 inch from the inside of the loo base
when the loo was slid back over them.

--
Triff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 21/03/2011 14:03, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. Difficult when you are having to slide the waste outlet on the loo
back into the soil pipe... Mine just slid back. I had to take action to
prevent the rough base of the loo from scratching the Karndean flooring as I
slid it back.

--
Triff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 21, 5:51 pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 21/03/2011 14:03, Jim K wrote:

[...]

how did you connect the waste in those cases?
?jollyflexes or simlar to allow you to connect up before lowering over
bracketry? or ??

this one is literally back to the wall wall (rather than a false
partition or simliar) - no room at mo for a jollyflex and not much
potential either :((((

thinking on - the way the bog is it looks like the bracket mating bit
of the ceramic was designed for a vertical output (connecting straight
down onto brackets) but it has a horizontal waste pipe??

Jim K

Close coupled WC elbow NoSpam UK diy 9 June 14th 10 10:32 PM
washer for close coupled WC benpost UK diy 5 November 25th 08 11:10 PM
Close Coupled Cistern Sunset UK diy 1 September 4th 06 12:01 PM
Help with close-coupled WC Guy Snape UK diy 5 August 10th 06 02:08 PM
Close coupled WC with S-type pan? John Stumbles UK diy 1 April 24th 04 11:44 AM